Quite high temperatures while in heavy load. Is it normal for this specific product?

Options
Thumbe
Thumbe Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
Hello,

I have recently purchased a gaming laptop which is Acer Predator Helios 300. This laptop has i5-7300HQ quad-core processor and GeForce GTX 1060 graphics card. Those are the main computer parts that heat up when in use and few questions came to my mind regarding the temperatures and cooling them.

The main ''problem'', if you can call it like that, I have faced, is that when I put this laptop under heavy load I get quite high temperatures, which I am worried about. The highest I have seen is 85 C degrees, but usually when I do demanding tasks the temperatures are like between 79-81 C degrees. Are these temperatures normal and expected for this product or should the temperatures be much more lower? I really wouldn't want to break the product later on accidentally because of possible overheating and without knowing. Is the graphics card for example made to withstand very high temperatures? I really don't know many facts about these things. This is my first Acer product I have ever bought before so information would be in need. 

Also, I'd like to know if there are ways to cool the processor and graphics card more efficiently. (If the case happens to be that the computer parts need better cooling.)

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options
    Are these temperatures of the CPU or GPU?
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Thumbe
    Options
    CPU and GPU temperatures are quite the same when doing heavy tasks. CPU is a little cooler, sometimes. 
  • Skelomorph
    Options
    79-85C is a little high, but in the normal temperature range for the CPU under heavy load. If the GPU hits those temperatures, that could be a little bit of a problem due to lower temp throttling.

There are a couple things you can do at home to bring them down:
    -Buy a laptop cooling pad (highly advisable for a gaming laptop, only paid $10 for mine and helps a lot)
    -When putting the laptop under heavy load, use CoolBoost in PredatorSense, or even better set fan to max speed.
    -Undervolt the CPU (less power = less heat and will help CPU running cooler, and GPU cooler from less ambient heat in the laptop)

First, try the first two out and see where the temps go.

Skelo
    Please quote me so I get a notification of your reply!
    If I helped you, like my post and/or select my post as 'Solved'.
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

Product: Acer Predator Helios 300
    Model: G3-571
    "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."
    - Dr. Seuss
  • ven98
    Options
    You can undervlot the CPU using throttlestop or Intel XTU. I don't how much the i5-7300HQ can be undervolted, but you can start with reducing the voltage by -100mV and keep adding -5mV until the system crashes. Reboot and set the voltage offset to the last value the system was stable on. NOTE: You should have a stress test, like Prime95 to run in the background while undervolting to ensure best stability.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• Thumbe
    Options
    Ok, I will try undervolting my CPU. I hope it's not very hard process and so If I do it the right way is it going to decrease GPU temperature at the same time along with the CPU temperatures?
  • Thumbe
    Options
    So, now I have tried several things to get the temperatures down. I think all of them helped in some ways at least because the highest temperature I get with GPU is 80 C or below and sometimes jump to 81 C, and when it gets to about 80 it is also pretty stable. Next off, CPU will not go over 80 except when doing some very heavy tasks. About 75-78 C when in heavy use. I used some compressed air and tried cleaning my fans from the dust (if there was any). Undervolting cpu worked too I guess. I was planning to undervolt GPU too with MSI Afterburner but I am not sure how it works. If you got any ideas still I am happy to try. 
  • ven98
    Options
    Undervolting GPU with MSI afterburner is quite a long process. It is done the same way as when you are overclocking, so if you open the panel for overclocking you will figure it out. It is easy but it takes time to tune it up for best results.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system