Acceptable amount of IPS Bleed

HiWayKiller
HiWayKiller Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi,

Recently I have purchased my Predator G3-572. Everything was working fine till I saw IPS bleed on my screen while playing Metro 2033. I am aware of that it is a common factor for IPS panel but I am not sure that whether the amount of bleed is acceptable or not. Screens attached.

https://i.imgur.com/3JZAEjP.jpg

The image is taken in dark room with 100% brightness by Moto X Play.

I already have requested for replacement of the laptop but again I am not sure whether the new laptop will have same issue or not. It is like gambling.

Best Answer

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    As you wrote backlight bleed is very common in IPS displays and cannot be removed completely. Your one doesn't look very bad and it is normal to be noticable in very dark areas. No one can guarantee you that the next laptop will have less backlight bleed, but it is also likely to have the same amount of bleed or even worse, as you wrote 'like gambling'.

Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• ven98
    Answer ✓
    As you wrote backlight bleed is very common in IPS displays and cannot be removed completely. Your one doesn't look very bad and it is normal to be noticable in very dark areas. No one can guarantee you that the next laptop will have less backlight bleed, but it is also likely to have the same amount of bleed or even worse, as you wrote 'like gambling'.

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• HiWayKiller
    edited December 2017
    ven98 said:

Thanks for quick response. You wrote the screen is not very bad that means not good also. Is there anyway to minimize the bleed ?
  • ven98
    edited December 2017
    I have heard there is a fix by opening the display panel and place some objects(like paper) to press the screen more on the areas where the light bleed is to reduce its effect. The issue with this is you have to know whether you should place the object at the back of the display or front, because if you do it wrong it will have the opposite effect and you have to disassemble again. I never tried this fix, and I wouldn't recommend you to do so, as there are potential hazards like braking the lid while trying to open it and damaging the screen itself and maybe other things, which will result in warranty void.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• HiWayKiller
    edited December 2017
    Okay, today I got replacement of my product. The new IPS panel in system is not so perfect but bleed is much less than previous one and has slight IPS glow on top right corner which is manageable. So overall it is okay now.
  • ven98
    That is great! You won in the gambling.  =)
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• ZielNazareth
    ZielNazareth Member Posts: 67 Devotee WiFi Icon
    My predator helios also has bleed around the corners of my screen but not large as that. 
    Bearer of the Savior's Insignia
  • ven98
    Anyone having a light bleed can ask for a replacement, if he/she doesn't feel comfortable with it. The problem is most devices with an IPS screen have IPS bleed and it is likely the replacement device to have more backlight bleed than the previous one.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Nick7887
    Nick7887 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Okay, today I got replacement of my product. The new IPS panel in system is not so perfect but bleed is much less than previous one and has slight IPS glow on top right corner which is manageable. So overall it is okay now.
    Please share the pic

• xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited October 2019
    Nick7887 just to state that you have nothing to worry about if you have similar bleed i had seen much worse and the pic by the OP above seems pretty normal to me similar to mine also this thread its almost 2 years old since the last reply 

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/