Options
    Thanks for the update on your success! Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• felipesolary
    felipesolary Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi all,
    I´m sorry, I started this thread and then I forgot about it.
    The thing is, my problem is fixed. But it was tough. I had to take it to Acer´s technical support here in Argentina (I live here, but I bought the laptop in the US). I had to take it 4 times. They didn´t know what the problem was, so they kept telling me that there wasn´t one. After I insisted and sent them videos of the problem, they finally came up with the solution.
    Apparently, the problem was a driver (pretty sure it was the NVDIA driver, but I´m not a 100% sure). The latest version wasn´t working properly. They installed an older version and now the HDMI is working. The thing I fear is that when the laptop updates the drivers, the problem will come back (one tends to think that they will fix it, but you can never be sure).
    My computer is working just fine now. But I didn´t use it for more than 3 months due to this problem (every time I took it to the technical support place, they reseted the laptop, so I just stopped using it). It´s a shame that this happens. I won´t be recommending Acer to any acquaintances....
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,589 Trailblazer
    Options
    >>>The thing I fear is that when the laptop updates the drivers>>>

felipe---Check Device Mgr for the NVIDIA driver version that's in there now so that you have a record of it. Win10 update might do it again. Then you should be able to do a rollback. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• felipesolary

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks! Good advice, I just did that.
  • felipesolary

Tinkerer

Options
    I just realized that when they changed my Nvidia driver, the GPU performance dissapeared from the Task Manager... so it wasn't a perfect solution. In fact, it is becoming kind of a nightmare.
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>I´ve tried connecting it through HDMI with many, many monitors and it almost never works (it worked one or two times at most). >>>

felipe---Can you recall about when it worked one or two times? Like about when you first got it? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• felipesolary

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    felipe---Can you recall about when it worked one or two times? Like about when you first got it? Jack E/NJ
    It was completely random, I couldn't find a ¨pattern¨. But the ones that worked definitely weren´t the first monitors I tried.
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>They installed an older version and now the HDMI is working. >>>

I'm guessing this older version along with its performance app is still on your HDD but buried in its hidden recovery partition and also somewhere in the OEM subdirectory. If you're adventuresome, you might be able to re-install the whole package as it came from the factory at the risk of further messing up where you're at right now. Jack E/NJ    

Jack E/NJ

• felipesolary

Tinkerer

edited January 2018
    Options
    So the day came when Windows updated (Fall Creators), and the problem came back.
    But I followed Blesage's instructions and it worked perfectly.

My question is: is this something I´ll have to do every time Windows updates?
  • drm_house
    drm_house Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    blesage said:
    W0000t! 

Issue Solved (for me at least...)

Here is what I did. Some of those steps might not be relevent in your case.

- Make sure the TV software was updated to latest version (it wasn't, so I updated and did a reset to make sure everything was in order)

- Another issue was with the graphic card. The automatic driver update through windows10 couldn't get it to install the latest drivers from the manufacturer (intel UHD 620). I had the help of the intel support tech. I "force" installed the drivers. Here is the step by step process:

1. Download the graphics driver ZIP file (I haven't been here long enough to post a link... for that you'll need to do your own research)
    2. Unzip the file to a designated location or folder.
    3. Right-click Windows Start icon and open Device Manager.
    4. Click Yes when prompted for permission from User Account Control.
    5. Expand the Display adapters section.
    6. Right-click the Intel® graphics entry and select Update Driver Software.
    7. Click "Browse my computer for driver software".
    8. Click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".
    9. Click "Have Disk".
    10. Click "Browse".
    11. Access the designated location or folder, and access a folder called "Graphics".
    12. Select the file called "igdlh64" or "igdlh".
    13. Click Open, then click OK, and finally click Next. Drivers are now being installed.
    14. Reboot your computer.
    And Voilà!

Hope to help out people out there to not waste as much time as I did and get as frustrated.

WOW! Thank you Blesage. Your solution works great!
  • lotos
    lotos Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Ughh.. I have the same issue on a Acer Swift 3 (SF314-54). Bought it back in Aug 2018 and never needed to connect it to some other screens. Today tried connecting it with 2 TVs and few monitors, multiple different HDMI cables ---> nothing works. Reinstalled the drivers, removed, updated, etc... tried everything possible  found on the internet, the option above as well --- NOTHING WORKS, HDMI SEEMS TO BE DEAD!!!

Had a chat with a guy from ACER and gues what, now I have to send my laptop to them for fixing the issue (I am in Canada) need to ship it to US, plus on top of the fact that I won't have my PC for at least 15 days I also have to pay the shipping --- is this fair for a ~6 months old laptop ACER?!

I've already paid the money for it to work! + the inconvenience of having to move all my personal data & accounts from this laptop , some of the software & so on, I might have to reinstall all my software in case you guys fully reset the system, right?!

Oh.. and yes, waisted over 5 hours on trying to figure out this! Acer, how much do you charge for 5 hrs of work?

Thank you!!!