Buzzing/Crackling Noise from Laptop Speakers when Playing Games

blim98
blim98 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
Recently I've had an issue with my Predator 17 laptop. Whenever I start playing a game, no matter the graphical intensity of the game, a buzzing noise begins to come from my speakers. I have headphones in 100% of the time, and the noise only comes from the bottom right side of the laptop where one of the speakers is located. Once the buzzing noise starts, it becomes louder and louder. The only way to stop the noise is to tab out of the game, close the game, or restart/turn off the computer. I have had my laptop for a year now, and it has never had an issue running games of any caliber. I have tried updating the audio drivers, but I don't think it is a sound coming from the speakers themselves because the sound persists when I mute them. I'm wondering what the issue is and if there is something that I can do to fix it on my end or do I just need to send it in for repairs.

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    You can have a look at this thread: 
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/534512/weird-noise-after-running-games#latest

In this case it comes from the left speaker. I sometimes have this buzzing noise(had it on my previous predator too) and I thought it cones from the speaker but that wasn't the case. When I put my ear on the bottom right corner of the surface of the laptop, I could hear the noise clear and loud, which made me think thag it is the speaker. Actually the speakers are located on the bottom, so I turned the laptop and put my ear exactly on where the speakers are and noticed the buzzing is quiter. Therefore it isn't the speaker. It is just that the noise comes from around this area and made me think it is the speaker, but as the plastic is a solid object it is better at conducting sound than air. I placed my ear on the keyboard where the enter key is and this is where the GPU is located, so it straight away came to my mind that it is nothing but a coil whine. By the way I got this coil whining from day one and I was expecting it as my previous predator also had it, so I wasn't suprised at all. It is annoying I agree, but turning up the fan speed to max covers the buzzing noise and I can't hear it, as I also have a sound coming from the game.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• blim98
    When I place my ear against where the enter key and sound is not nearly as loud as when I place my ear on the bottom side where the speaker is.
  • ven98
    Does the noise get louder if you place your ear on the back side of the laptop, where the right speaker is(you have to lift up the laptop and place your ear under it)?
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• blim98
    Yes, it is noticeably louder when listening from the underside of the laptop where the right speaker is.
  • ven98
    Follow the instructions in the link, in order to reset battery: https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34843/~/acer-internal-battery-reset

If it doesn't help you should contact Acer support in your region. 
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• blim98
    Unfortunately, the battery reset did not fix the issue. Was hoping there was something I could do on my end to prevent having to send it in for repairs. Thanks for the help though.