my Computer Specifications:
  • Acer TravelMate x349
  • 8 GB RAM
  • 256 GB SSD
  • Windows 10 Pro 64Bit (preinstalled)
  • disabled fast boot in windows
  • disabled Secure Boot in the BIOS
My Problem:
I want to install Kali Linux and/or Ubuntu Mate on my Acer parallel to my already installed Windows. I installed the linux Version on a SSD Partition with 30 GB, which is enough for the disctribution. The installation process finished without any errors and at the end I rebooted and removed the installation disk as instructed. When my laptop booted it didn't boot in Linux but in the regular Windows. During the boot process I an not even capable of choosing to boot from Linux as there is only the option "Windows Boot Manager". I heard one time that grub may not support SSDs of the type "M.2". So how do I boot the Grub Bootloader?
Thank you in advance for all the helpful answers. :smile:

PS: If you need more information just ask, I am willing to give you all the possible information I can to get Linux running. :smiley:

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Check on BIOS if you can load a trusted EFI file, so your BIOS will be able to read the linux installation.
    I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Check on BIOS if you can load a trusted EFI file, so your BIOS will be able to read the linux installation.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • hmai
    hmai Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    Hello, I don't know for Windows 10 and Ubuntu Mate, but I have the same computer as you with Windows 7 pro, BIOS version 1.12 and installed Ubuntu 18.04.01 on it with a USB key. I allowed F12 menu and was on boot option Legacy. I had the same problem as you, and finally, I changed for UEFI and disabled secure boot, and when I restarted the computer and hit F12, the grub choice appeared below the Windows Boot Manager. So I can now use Ubuntu, but when I start the computer, I have to hit F12 and hit the arrow, otherwise, it starts on Windows by default.