Helios 300 Very High Temps

alphakiller
alphakiller Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
Hey,
Its been a week since i bought this laptop and i haven't done much gaming until yesterday. My GPU is throttles like every 20 secs. My CPU on idle is running 55-60 degree Celsius and when playing games like PUBG, it reaches upto 95 degree Celsius. GPU on idle is around 50 and under load it gets upto 90 easily.
Thanks

Answers

• 95C is quite in the upper limit of what the CPU can handle. I suggest contacting Acer Support and having them re-apply thermal paste. It is also a possibility to do it yourself, but will void warranty.

Since you have only had it a week, it may be possible to get a replacement from where ever you bought it from. 

Skelo
    Please quote me so I get a notification of your reply!
    If I helped you, like my post and/or select my post as 'Solved'.
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

Product: Acer Predator Helios 300
    Model: G3-571
    "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."
    - Dr. Seuss
  • RoarRay
    RoarRay Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Hey Alpha,
    What settings are you running PubG on? I am a Helios 300/571 model and noticed similar things but after playing around with some settings resolved high temps. I set the graphics to High, instead of ultra, and I use the PredatorSense to max speed for the fans when I play instead of auto. The cpu runs around 70-75C under those conditions for me. I also undervolt mine by -.110 and when I use those settings the cpu doesn't exceed 70C. I also make sure the cooling vents are blocked by anything and I use it on my lap. GPU temps don't exceed 65C, but the load varies from 70-100%. PubG isn't optimized so well just yet. 

However if you find this to be an issue with other games that aren't as intensive like DotA or CSGO I would highly recommend contacting their customer support and maybe sending it in. As the user above mentioned, it could be a thermal paste issue, and Acer can fix that. If you try to repaste it on your own you will void the warranty. 
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Dota 2 is very CPU intensive. As RoarRay wrote undervolt the CPU first, make sure no vents are blocked so air can easily get in and out and set fan speed to maximum. If your temperatures get under 85C for CPU and 75C for GPU then you are fine.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• alphakiller

Tinkerer

RoarRay said:
    Hey Alpha,
    What settings are you running PubG on? I am a Helios 300/571 model and noticed similar things but after playing around with some settings resolved high temps. I set the graphics to High, instead of ultra, and I use the PredatorSense to max speed for the fans when I play instead of auto. The cpu runs around 70-75C under those conditions for me. I also undervolt mine by -.110 and when I use those settings the cpu doesn't exceed 70C. I also make sure the cooling vents are blocked by anything and I use it on my lap. GPU temps don't exceed 65C, but the load varies from 70-100%. PubG isn't optimized so well just yet. 

However if you find this to be an issue with other games that aren't as intensive like DotA or CSGO I would highly recommend contacting their customer support and maybe sending it in. As the user above mentioned, it could be a thermal paste issue, and Acer can fix that. If you try to repaste it on your own you will void the warranty. 
    Thanks for suggestion me to undervolt the cpu. i undervolted my cpu to -125 and now my temperatures are under 80 degrees. i haven't tried other games though. But for now i think undervolting has fixed the issue for me. This is a thermal paste issue right ?
  • ven98
    edited December 2017
    It doesn't have to be. If undervolting has reduced the temperature, you don't need too repaste unless you want to bring the temperature down even further.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• aks895
    aks895 Member Posts: 38 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    You won't void your warranty if you repaste yourself, confirmed through Acer directly.
  • ven98
    Depends on what country you bought the device from. I have contacted Acer in 2 countries so far and in UK and Bulgaria they told me that it voids warranty. Also the service centres are not allowed to apply custom thermal paste. In US there is law preventing manufacturers putting void stickers in devices and even if they do put stickers, they won't be valid(just to scare customers, so they don't touch anything), but that is not the case in the countries I mentioned.

If you have void stickers and you are not in the US, removing them is very likely to void warranty.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• alphakiller

Tinkerer

ven98 said:
    It doesn't have to be. If undervolting has reduced the temperature, you don't need too repaste unless you want to bring the temperature down even further.
    If this isn't a thermal paste issue then why do other people get 70-75C CPU under load without undervolting?
  • ven98
    ven98 said:
    If this isn't a thermal paste issue then why do other people get 70-75C CPU under load without undervolting?
    Because it can't be the same across all boards. The CPU's temperature on my device reaches about 83C undervolted, while under heavy load and I am pretty happy with this result.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• alphakiller

Tinkerer

ven98 said:
    ven98 said:
    Because it can't be the same across all boards. The CPU's temperature on my device reaches about 83C undervolted, while under heavy load and I am pretty happy with this result.
    Ah alright. Thanks mate.
  • Skelomorph
    Skelomorph ACE Posts: 463 Pioneer
    edited December 2017
    The only reason why re-pasting the CPU would void warranty is if you have any troubles related to your CPU or GPU later on down the road (extremely unlikely). Say if your speakers stop working, I don't think they would even be able to see if you re-pasted.

I do suggest, however, to be careful. I re-pasted mine and stripped one of my screws a little bit, so that is noticeable but they will never even see it unless they have to try and take it off. I wouldn't think a stripped screw would be cause for warranty void anyways.

By default I say it will void warranty because we do not 100% know that it does not, and screw ups easily will.

Skelo
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

- Dr. Seuss
  • alphakiller

Tinkerer

Alright. So now even after undervolting my cpu temps are reaching 95-96 occasionally. It averages around 85-90. GPU temps are completely fine averaging around 70-75. 
  • Where do you use your laptop? On your lap? On a desk? I would advise getting a cooling pad

Skelo

- Dr. Seuss
  • alphakiller

Tinkerer

Where do you use your laptop? On your lap? On a desk? I would advise getting a cooling pad

Skelo
    I use my laptop on a desk. Also, will a cooling pad make a difference?

• Maybe not a ton, but it will make some. You figure, underneath that laptop, even on a desk, is about 1/10 of an inch or so. And half of the air going back under the laptop is the hot air its blowing out. 

Skelo

- Dr. Seuss
  • ven98
    On what game the CPU averages at 90C? If it is a game that is not normal. You can try placing the laptop on your lap and if then the temperature(average) is still above 85C that isn't acceptable.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Karp-Acer_Retired
    Karp-Acer_Retired Member Posts: 2,599 Guru
    I'm sorry that you're having issues with your Predator product, if you feel that your unit is overheating please contact your local support for better assistance, https://www.acer.com/worldwide/  where you can select the country of your location and under support tab you can find the available service centers and technical support phone numbers.

minimizar para MAXIMIZAR.

Descubra a mais recente e inovadora tecnologia que chegará no mercado, next@acer.