Switch 7 Black Edition

Options

Answers

• Oppenheimer
    Oppenheimer Member Posts: 6 New User
    Options
    ctrev21 said:
    Jesus Christ!! I went ahead and picked up a Lenovo IdeaPad 720S over the weekend for $700. It has all of the same specs but has a 2x TB connector instead of a 4x. From the benchmarks I've been running on my eGPU, I'm only losing a few frames compared to my other laptop's 4x eGPU setup.
    I don't think getting this Switch Black is even an option for me anymore. 
  • ctrev21
    ctrev21 Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited February 2018
    Options
    rynaus said:
    Wow the price just went up to $2798 USD. I wonder what changed.

Btw the US version seems to come with a Type-C to HDMI cable/adapter, the German version does not.

Guess I wont be buying this afterall. Goodluck guys. Back to the HP Spectre 360
  • Asiyun
    Asiyun Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    ctrev21 said:
    rynaus said:

Btw the US version seems to come with a Type-C to HDMI cable/adapter, the German version does not.

Did you notice that the website posted was actually from Acer Singapore ?
  • ctrev21

Tinkerer

Options
    Asiyun said:
    ctrev21 said:
    rynaus said:

Did you notice that the website posted was actually from Acer Singapore ?

That I didn't, Guess I'll have to wait until they actually go on sale in the US.
  • ctrev21

Tinkerer

Options
    Had to do go back and look at my link. Sure enough, way down at the bottom of the page and way over to the right hand corner "Singapore" Boy, Acer sure does try to get you on these small details. I would never pay that much for a PC like this but still a little hope that they will stick to the $1699 MSRP here in the US. Thanks for being thorough on the site. 
  • fuzzybabybunny
    fuzzybabybunny Member Posts: 6 New User
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Anyone know what specs the $1699 starting price will have?

And does anyone know if you will be able to open the case by popping clips and removing screws so you can upgrade the SSD? Is Acer generally known as a brand that allows you to open their laptops?

The last thing I want is for this to be something like a Microsoft Surface where everything is glued together...
  • rynaus
    rynaus Member Posts: 6 New User
    Options

And does anyone know if you will be able to open the case by popping clips and removing screws so you can upgrade the SSD? Is Acer generally known as a brand that allows you to open their laptops?

The last thing I want is for this to be something like a Microsoft Surface where everything is glued together...
    There's only one Acer Switch 7 Black Edition, so the specs are what's listed on Acer's site with the max configuration.

Afaik, you cant open these without voiding the warranty.
  • fuzzybabybunny
    Options
    rynaus said:

There's only one Acer Switch 7 Black Edition, so the specs are what's listed on Acer's site with the max configuration.

I see. I wonder if the SSD will be user-replacable then. Does it have Thunderbolt? 

Voiding the warranty is fine. I'm looking for a laptop that can last for the next five years, which is how long my previous laptop lasted. The reason it lasted so long is that it was really easy to open and very friendly to service yourself. I just had a Microsoft Surface lose half of its touch sensitivity on the screen and there's absolutely no way to service it.
  • rynaus
    rynaus Member Posts: 6 New User
    Options
    rynaus said:

I see. I wonder if the SSD will be user-replacable then. Does it have Thunderbolt? 

Voiding the warranty is fine. I'm looking for a laptop that can last for the next five years, which is how long my previous laptop lasted. The reason it lasted so long is that it was really easy to open and very friendly to service yourself. I just had a Microsoft Surface lose half of its touch sensitivity on the screen and there's absolutely no way to service it.

Yes it has Thunderbolt 3 via Type-C.
    I'm not sure if the SSD is user-replaceable, I don't dare to open it during the warranty period so I don't know how it looks like inside. The SSD is SATA btw, not PCIE.

Here are my first impressions btw:

. Battery: In my first week of usage, I see the battery life is nowhere near to what Acer claims. I hardly get 1-2 hours even with normal usage. This is quite poor in my opinion and so I'm actually thinking of returning the laptop.

. Screen and Pen:  The screen is quite nice, although it has thick bezels on the side and the active pen which requires no charging and slides into the tablet is very innovative and handy.

. SSD: It's a LiteOn SATA SSD, not as fast as PCIE SSDs, but ok.

. Fingerprint Reader: Does not work most of the time. I tried re-registering my fingerprints, still Windows login cannot recognize my finger even after a dozen scans. My other gaming laptop logs-in in a split second every time.

. Fan-less design: This is one of the reasons I bought this. It is 100% quiet, even when it gets hot at the back (CPU temps 65 C).

. Geforce MX150: I haven't played much games on it yet, but I have a feeling the performance is similar to the integrated Intel UHD 630 graphics. so the additional graphics is not necessary in my opinion.

. Keyboard: The keys have a good tactile feel. The trackpad however is very annoying as it makes a loud "click" sound wherever you touch it. I called support and they said it's a "feedback" feature. I personally didn't like it.

. Memory: It uses the slower DDR3 memory and not DDR4. I believe Acer chose this for the low power utilization to maximize battery life.

. W-LAN: I don't know why it comes with the very old Intel AC-7260 Wifi card. Now the Intel 9260 with Bluetooth 5 is already available and most other laptops come with the Intel 8260 and yet Acer chose to put a card that is 2 generations old. May be again for battery life reasons ? I don't know.

. Software: As always, comes installed with lot of bloat, including Norton Security etc. I formatted and installed clean Windows 10 Pro from Microsoft.

Conclusion: I'm confused.
    +
    Quiet, fan-less design, decent performance.
    -
    Extremely poor battery life, bad fingerprint reader, noisy trackpad, big bezels, SATA SSD, outdated Wifi card.
  • fuzzybabybunny
    Options
    Thanks for the write-up!

- are there any screws that would indicate a place to start to open up the body? Or is it entirely screwless?

- I'm really surprised by the battery life. I'm wondering if the battery is bad in your unit.

- the MX150 should still be double the speed of the Intel 630:

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=3540&cmp[]=3789

Plus for people who do video processing, the MX150 will have CUDA cores to help accelerate processing, as well as dedicated RAM. 

- I'm wondering how much throttling will happen for both the CPU and video card with the liquid cooling (the heat still needs to leave the unit somehow for proper cooling, so it's just relying on radiant heat loss from the metal case?) 

- I'm pretty bummed to learn that the SSD is SATA and not NVMe.

- I'm uncertain what the difference would be in a newer generation WiFi card. I do wish it came with a 4G / LTE chip though.
  • Carlos_Zamora
    Carlos_Zamora Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    I am really interested in this laptop. Does anyone know it's release date? 
  • ctrev21

Tinkerer

Options

Is there even a moderator from Acer that looks over this forum to answer questions? Seems like lots of people are interested and without any answers sales are being lost due to lack of customer service. This begs to question what the hell is happening to great customer service?

Hell if I want to spend money on Dell and at this point the only option close to this is HP but not really feeling them much. EVE V has been a total let down with fulfillment , quality and customer service issues and CES says this is a model company? Give me a f'ing break. The PC industry is going to ***** in a hand basket, no wonder tablets and smartphones are taking over the market.

• Carlos_Zamora
    Options
    Now Acer is saying that the Switch 7 is going to be released at the end of March alongside the new Swift 7. How is it that they pushed the release date of December to March! 
  • Carlos_Zamora
    Options
    https://udn.com/news/story/7270/3011696 this is the link to the news
  • fuzzybabybunny
    Options
    Is the price right?

64,900 yuan is $10,222 USD.... that's insane. Even for China that's insane.
  • ndl318
    ndl318 Member Posts: 22 Networker
    Options
    I think it will be 4 x 4 lane. Thunderbolt 3 specs is 4 x 4
  • Asiyun
    Options
    Is the price right?

64,900 yuan is $10,222 USD.... that's insane. Even for China that's insane.
    Nah. The currency in Taiwan is NT. 

Given that general electronics sell about 25% cheaper in USA than Taiwan. The price in USA would be approximately 64,900 divide by 30 (currency exchange) and times by 0.75 ( 25% price discount in USA) ~= 1622. I predict the price range in USA would be around USD $1580 ~ $1660.  

Cheers
  • ndl318
    ndl318 Member Posts: 22 Networker
    Options
    that would be very expensive, but still cheaper than surface. Btw please help me with this thread https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/540315/difference-between-switch-5-models-acer-petition#latest
  • Asiyun
    Options
    ndl318 said:
    that would be very expensive, but still cheaper than surface. Btw please help me with this thread https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/540315/difference-between-switch-5-models-acer-petition#latest
    The very first Acer Switch 7 review has been posted on techspot, and the battery life is disappointing!~

https://www.techspot.com/review/1587-acer-switch-7/
  • fuzzybabybunny
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Just thinking out loud:

I expect the battery life to be horrible on this unit, not just due to the small capacity, but also due to the passive cooling. It's a known fact that heat is the #1 killer of lithium batteries and it severely degrades battery lifespan. The Acer LiquidLoop is just a fancy heatpipe that transports heat away from the GPU + CPU and dumps it into the chassis. There's no active fan, which means the heat can only slowly passively radiate from the metal chassis, and since the battery (I think) must be sitting flush right up against the chassis, the battery is going to heat up along with the chassis. The review above my post said the unit gets very hot in the back when under stress. 

So unless there is an easy way to replace the battery yourself, I would be very cautious about buying this.