Switch 7 Black Edition

Oppenheimer
Oppenheimer Member Posts: 6 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Will the S7 BE's Thunderbolt 3 port be 2 lanes or 4? (x2 or x4)? 

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer

Google "The complete list of portable laptops with a Thunderbolt 3 port" with the quotes to find out.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Oppenheimer
    JackE said:

Google "The complete list of portable laptops with a Thunderbolt 3 port" with the quotes to find out.

Jack E/NJ

I did. Doesn't say 
  • Mberlinger3
    Mberlinger3 Member Posts: 2 New User
    I am waiting for the official release to be tested but if it's x4 I'll buy immediately. When is the release date?
  • Oppenheimer
    I am waiting for the official release to be tested but if it's x4 I'll buy immediately. When is the release date?
    It's just stated as December of this year... no definitive date. 
    I'd buy it right away too. It's the deciding factor for me. 
    The closest thing to this is the Lenovo IdeaPad 720S...  but I was told the TB3 port is x2 so meh... 
  • Mberlinger3
    Mberlinger3 Member Posts: 2 New User
    It's just stated as December of this year... no definitive date. 
    I'd buy it right away too. It's the deciding factor for me. 
    The closest thing to this is the Lenovo IdeaPad 720S...  but I was told the TB3 port is x2 so meh... 
    The hp Spectre x360 and the Lenovo yoga 920 are very similar and have x4 tb3. I just don't like the flippable keyboard thing
  • dstrauss
    dstrauss Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Is this device real or vaporware? Acer definitely stated it would release December 2017, then at CES moved that to "this month" which ended five days ago. Now no new information. Makes one wonder if there is a fundamental design problem, like overheating perhaps?
  • ricegamer
    ricegamer Member Posts: 2 New User
    So this is never coming out right?

Annonced in September 2017 and still not out February 5th, 2018.  Originally mentioned for a December 2017 release date then end of January release date 2018 and now nothing.

No announcements, no updates, no tests, no confirmations of RGB color spectrum, no information to confirm if it's even remotely useful for digital artists.

At this point knowing how Acer stuff is never even available upon release as well as back-ordered where you won't be able to buy it months later, I don't think this will ever come out.  By then it'll be 2019 by the time this might hit shelves since Acer won't provide individual product updates on this, any information or even release date information.

Why bother?  I've asked repeatedly but there's never any info.  Time to toss 1700 dollars at a completely different PC manufacturer.
  • ScottyGams
    ScottyGams Member Posts: 1 New User
    I hate to say it but I concur. I have a preorder at Amazon, but they are charging £1800 (Almost $2500). I am thinking about giving up at that price, considering HP has the 15" x360 with Ryzen GPU (4GB video RAM, or double what Acer is offering) for $1000 less coming out in a month. I really wanted a 2-in-1 convertible, so maybe the Eve V... just super disappointed Acer is keeping us early adopters in the dark. Does not inspire brand loyalty when a company constantly teases but does not deliver.
  • dstrauss
    dstrauss Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

I hate to say it but I concur. I have a preorder at Amazon, but they are charging £1800 (Almost $2500). I am thinking about giving up at that price, considering HP has the 15" x360 with Ryzen GPU (4GB video RAM, or double what Acer is offering) for $1000 less coming out in a month. I really wanted a 2-in-1 convertible, so maybe the Eve V... just super disappointed Acer is keeping us early adopters in the dark. Does not inspire brand loyalty when a company constantly teases but does not deliver.
    This is not just brand loyalty but overall credibility. I go back to my design argument - these continuing delays make one suspicious that the heat pipe cooling system leaves you with a slag pile of steaming silicon at days end. 
  • ricegamer
    ricegamer Member Posts: 2 New User
    My guess is the Intel Spectre and Meltdown hotfixes also is impacting the system as it also hits either performance to a degree where the system is trying to be carefully balanced (thus making it harder to just keep up with just the same amount of performance).

Sad as I hate the Surface Book -> far too many technical issues but I love the power a dedicated GPU provides for digital photography and editing on the go in the light form factor (I like the Surface Pro line but the weak hardware at this point makes it a bad choice).

I like the form factor but every year it's always the "almost there technology".  Almost maybe the next generation.  It will be interesting to see what manufacturers can do with the AMD Mobile CPUs/Graphics going forward as well with actual designs for the CPUs.

Time will tell I suppose (and the reason I didn't get the Acer Switch 5 was that it was back ordered or sold out for weeks/months and then after the fact, the prices jumped higher than the MSRP it originally had).

At the very least if the company has a product and is working on it; updates or even email subscriptions to then be updated on the product would be helpful (they don't even offer this it's only emails for all products or nothing).

Side side note: the underlying site for the product does have the "Buy Now" option for weeks (that's hidden) but hasn't been updated in over 3 weeks...
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/series/switch7blackedition

Kind of feels like a missed opportunity as it's an interesting possible product then delayed to the point the hardware is outdated compared to the newer CPUs from vendors that have a more reliable track record of release dates.
  • ctrev21
    ctrev21 Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited February 2018
    I saw this and cancelled my order for the Eve V (especially with all the QC and delayed shipping issues) but when the heck is this going up for sale? My current PC is on it's last leg and I really want to move into this PC. Come on Acer throw us a bone!
  • MarcoMedrano
    MarcoMedrano Member Posts: 1 New User
    I am also waiting for it since they say was coming for December of last year, i will wait  a bit more, but if they rise the price, i prefer to buy a surface book 2 which has same capabilities and a solid keyboard that can hold the tablet.
  • rynaus
    rynaus Member Posts: 6 New User
    I have the Acer Switch 7 Black Edition. If someone can tell me how to check for 2 or 4 lanes, I can check and tell you.
  • Oppenheimer
    rynaus said:
    I have the Acer Switch 7 Black Edition. If someone can tell me how to check for 2 or 4 lanes, I can check and tell you.
    More than anything now, I'd like to know WHERE you got yours? I (and seemingly a lot of other people) would like to know where they're being sold .I didn't even know they were being sold yet .
  • rynaus
    rynaus said:
    More than anything now, I'd like to know WHERE you got yours? I (and seemingly a lot of other people) would like to know where they're being sold .I didn't even know they were being sold yet .

Hello. It's available in many shops in Germany. There are 2 models. As far as I can see, the only difference is the extra 1 year manufacturer warranty. I bought mine from Cyberport (not sure if I'm allowed to post links. If u google the name, u will find it )
  • Oppenheimer
    Hello. It's available in many shops in Germany. There are 2 models. As far as I can see, the only difference is the extra 1 year manufacturer warranty. I bought mine from Cyberport (not sure if I'm allowed to post links. If u google the name, u will find it )
    *****..  danke schön! 
  • ctrev21
    ctrev21 Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

*****..  danke schön! 

Wow! That's $2500 USD. MSRP here in the US is supposed to be $1699.00 USD. Maybe this is one of the reasons it's not available yet in the United States.
  • rynaus
    Wow the price just went up to $2798 USD. I wonder what changed.

Btw the US version seems to come with a Type-C to HDMI cable/adapter, the German version does not.
  • rynaus
    *****..  danke schön! 

bitte :)