Aspire E 15 laptop running slow -- do I just need more RAM?

automorphic
automorphic Member Posts: 2 New User
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
I just bought an Acer Aspire E 15 E5-575-33BM laptop, and it's running slower than I would like. I tend to have several windows and browser tabs open (right now, 17 browser tabs, and a pdf viewer). My new laptop came with 4 GB RAM. My old laptop, a Dell XPS from 2011, also had 4 GB of RAM, and didn't have much trouble with that number of tabs. So I'm a little disappointed with the Acer as I would have expected it to beat a 6-year-old laptop with the same RAM, even if the other one originally cost a lot more.

I called Acer and the guy gave me a few helpful straightforward tips that didn't really get at the core problem. The computer runs great when I have only a few tabs open. So my thought is that I should upgrade the RAM, but before I do that I want to make sure that

1) This is the best solution to the problem
2) This lagging is expected in the situation I described and isn't a problem with the laptop.

I'd love to hear advice, and also what I should look for for a RAM upgrade. Thanks!

Answers

• Hi,
    You can check the RAM usage in Task manager, click Ctrl+Shift+Esc buttons and view the RAM usage in task manager, if needed increase the memory to 8GB by adding another module of same specs as your current 4GB RAM. You could also consider replacing the HDD with a SSD and it will improve the speed immensely.

• automorphic
    automorphic Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thanks for the tips! My memory usage is upwards of 90%, mostly taken up by various Chrome properties, so it seems like that's the issue. I'll plan on getting another stick of RAM like you said.

Would a SSD help speed up my internet processes? I thought it only worked for files saved on that disk, which wouldn't include anything online.
  • Hi,
    No problem, yes increasing the RAM will help but SSD improve overall performance of your laptop.
  • resing
    resing Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

To the CEO of Acer Corporation do you got a new program to do that to download All My Exes my brother 15
  • resing
    resing Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Is Jason Chen the CEO of a circle racing do you got a program to download on my Acer Chromebook 15