120 Hz Panel Upgrade for Acer Predator Helios 300

wheattoast
wheattoast Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I recently came across an Inspiron 7577 thread (a GTX 1060 Max-Q laptop priced at $999, solid competitor to the predator helios 300) and saw that many people have had success replacing the panel on the Inspiron to something better, like a 120 Hz IPS panel.

My Predator Helios 300 runs marvelously. I have undervolted the CPU and used custom fan curves plus a slight OC to run the GPU at 1900 MhZ consistently at lower voltages. My temps never get above 70 C on either CPU or GPU. The only issue is the seriously awful screen. Forget screen bleed, the colors are muted and the 60 hz display seems like an oversight for a great laptop. 

Has anyone had success with installing a 120 Hz panel into the Helios 300? Would something like:https://www.ebay.com/itm/192047673461?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

work well with the laptop?

Answers

• CydiaNinja
    CydiaNinja Member Posts: 6 New User
    Im just planning to use an external monitor most of the time. The screen is good enough for me to use on the go. I would be interested if it was easy to upgrade though.
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    edited December 2017
    As far as I know you can't replace the screen with an 120Hz one. Connecting to an external monitor will only output 60Hz at 1080p.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Abarnes1
    Abarnes1 Member Posts: 3 New User
    ven98 said:
    As far as I know you can't replace the screen with an 120Hz one. Connecting to an external monitor will only output 60Hz at 1080p.
    WelL I just tried it on mine to an aoc 240hz monitor with a hdmi cable and it allows me to go to 144hz at 1920x1080.

QUestion i have is what type of connector is on the display as if its a edp i can connect a 120hz screen in if its not then bugger.

• Benzx123
    Benzx123 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Abarnes1 said:
    ven98 said:
    WelL I just tried it on mine to an aoc 240hz monitor with a hdmi cable and it allows me to go to 144hz at 1920x1080.

QUestion i have is what type of connector is on the display as if its a edp i can connect a 120hz screen in if its not then bugger.

how the hell did you get it to work??
  • JackG79
    JackG79 Member Posts: 4 New User
    I don't see any reason why we wouldn't be able to upgrade to a better screen.  Even a better quality screen.  The screens on these are the barganing chip that gets us such a great machine for  such a low price.  There is aftermarket screen for everything else.. I'm sure someone will make reaplacement or upgrades for these.  my son has the same video card in his PC. (GeForce GTX 1060 6GB)  but he runs his desktop on a  HP OMEN 144Hz display and it looks F"n AMAZING!!!  The difference is STAGGERING.  These 60Hz screens are an albatross on an otherwise MONSTER machine! 
  • Culvey
    Culvey Member Posts: 2 New User
    I wish we could get a confirmation on this instead of random speculation (or people saying to buy an external monitor... why have a laptop at that point?) I would love to upgrade my display on the laptop to play games to their full potential on this otherwise awesome laptop.
  • Lursman
    Lursman Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have helios 300 G3-571-77QK model. As I know the display model is LP156WF6-SPK6 . I think to try update with this model B156HAN04.2 which has 120Hz Refresh rate, better brightness and better contrast ratio. both of them has 30 pins, eDP (2 Lanes), Connector. I think it display should fit.
  • rayray451
    rayray451 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Lursman i was thinking of doing the exact same thing and wasn't sure. So did the config work?
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    Confirmed a Helios got a 120hz panel upgrade. Currently only issue is the guy is struggling getting keyboard brightness controls to work.

He made a video too.

I have a FB group (seach: Acer Predator Helios 300) and he posted the video there with pics of 120hz being reached 
    - Hotel Hero
  • Jsc149
    Jsc149 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have the 17.3 inch. Are there any compatible 120hz upgrades out there? Also, are there any other upgrades of mods I can do for better cooling or performance?
  • RavenNight
    RavenNight Member Posts: 1 New User
    It confuses me. So if I use a HDMI cable to connect my Helios 300 with a 120Hz monitor, will it work ? Because some said yes, some said "no, the Helios only support 60Hz)
  • Spacepauls
    Spacepauls Member Posts: 1 New User
    So has anyone figured out if there is a 120hz screen that can be fitted to the helios 300? I Have the laptop on order and I plan to upgrade it as soon as I get my hands on it. I agree and I don't understand the logic of Acer to put such good hardware inside a laptop and only fit a 60hz screen, when clearly the laptop is capable of producing 100+ fps on a lot of games.
  • uturn0427
    uturn0427 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Yup, tested and working great. Model: N156HHE-GA1

Very Bright, 94% NTSC(16.4 million colors), and brightness controls via function keys works perfectly.  It takes about 30days to ship but verified working.  Your welcome =)

Data sheet: http://www.panelook.com/modeldetail.php?id=33306

• uturn0427
    uturn0427 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Also the above screen is 120hz and it looks beautiful with no backlight bleeding but an extremely bright backlight.  I have seen them as low as $55.00 and as high as $120.00.  Estimated shipping was 30 days but it only took around 1 1/2 weeks to arrive. (don't forget to unplug your battery before touching the video connector, in the past I saw a unit that was powered of with a normal removable battery that fried when a screen replacement was happening.. ALWAYS disconnect your battery before removing a screen..)
  • ihunter
    ihunter Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

uturn0427 said:

Very Bright, 94% NTSC(16.4 million colors), and brightness controls via function keys works perfectly.  It takes about 30days to ship but verified working.  Your welcome =)

hi mean,did you have any problems while working? g-sync support? I think also replace it.
  • EddieSi
    EddieSi Member Posts: 36 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Interesting...I'll have to order soon. Not bad for 120$
    uturn0427 said:

• ihunter
    ihunter Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Me straining the TN ! Is there an the IPS 94%? and how on this panel things are going on with the blacklights?
  • G_pwn
    G_pwn Member Posts: 5 New User
    Hey guys, just want to re-confirm that panel N156HHE-GA1 IS compatible with the g3-571-77qk predator laptop. I'm assuming there isnt any special adapter needed or anything, right?

Thanks for the input!
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    Hi guys! 
    The answer is YES it's compatible. 

https://youtu.be/HoO9q_svwz0
    - Hotel Hero