How to make battery conservation?

MrBread
MrBread Member Posts: 2 New User
edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hello,
I'd like to ask something about the conservation mode.
I owned Acer Nitro 5 which has a built-in battery.
Does it come with conservation mode? Like Lenovo.
OR is there any other method on how do I make the conservation mode?
I always have my laptop plugged-in for charging and when the battery hit 100% when I was gaming, I always forgot to unplug the power cable, or I was busy playing the game.
Because, leaving your battery on charging after it reaches 100% will damage the battery life, right?
Please help me, if there are any solution on this. TQ

Answers

• Hi,
    You can continue to use the laptop connected to mains even the battery is fully charged(100%), it doesn't damage the battery.
  • MrBread
    MrBread Member Posts: 2 New User
    This might be a silly question but I hope someone reply to this.
    I'm still newbie, just bought these a week ago. :(
  • MrBread said:
    This might be a silly question but I hope someone reply to this.
    I'm still newbie, just bought these a week ago. :(
    Hi,
    That's a legitimate question, batteries will become dysfunctional in 3 yrs(roughly) or could last few years more.
  • Adso3000
    Adso3000 Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited August 2018
    Here's a dose of reality (having studied this far too much a couple of years ago):
    Batteries are best kept at around 40% for long term storage and is around what factory delivered once are when you buy them, hence longer first charging time. The higher the charge they are kept at, the lower the lifespan.  The 60% my Lenovo backup computer this one replaced is pretty good too.
    Actually, just charging to the last bit from, let's say, 90% to 100% takes more toll on the battery than 80% to 90%.
    Key things detrimental to long term battery health:
    Not kept at very high charge state longer than necessary.
    Not kept/used in excessive heat conditions which is about the worst thing ever (a bit hard inside a gaming laptop with poor cooling like my Helios 300, better paste, pads, clearing up Windows fluff and under-volting helps a bit thankfully).
    Deep cycling/depleting (the absolute worst) since some of the lithium ions will start to crystallize, becoming insoluble, an irreversible process. I forgot the precise percentages, but ideally charge at 20-30% and avoid it ever going below 15% if possible. At least the Predator Helios 300, I can change battery (when that day comes) in less than 15 minutes (takes a while first time you open it and instruction/teardown videos on e.g. YouTube really help, but expect the first time to take much longer, but depends on the model.
    Many smaller but more frequent charging sessions are better than fewer longer ones, i.e. better to charge it twice from 40% to 80% than once from 20% to 100%. Also charges much faster at lower percentages. My Bosch lawnmower lithium batteries can charge from non-functional to 60% in 30 minutes but  to get it to 100% takes like 90 minutes.
    If you're very bored find some reputable sources and research, I'm sure you won't need to spend an entire day doing it like I ended up doing, in my usual OCD research style.  ;)
    PS: For anyone reading this owning a Predator Helios 300, check "Hotel Hero" channel on YouTube and search for the (closed) Predator Helios community on Facebook (link on his YouTube channel. Community is quite large and very useful, as are his videos. Also, if like me, you suddenly get tingling electric shock from the metal top of laptop, make sure the plug has ground too. Mine was carpeted room, no grounding, switched and instantly solved it. I guess charger has 3 plugs for a reason  :p
  • badar
    badar Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hello guys, I want to ask you about something, I have Acer Nitro 5, when I play a game that needs an Ivory Cup, it drains the battery.
    My question is: Can I play on the computer while charging? Or is there a program that stops operating battery like lenovo?
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    badar said:
    Hello guys, I want to ask you about something, I have Acer Nitro 5, when I play a game that needs an Ivory Cup, it drains the battery.
    My question is: Can I play on the computer while charging? Or is there a program that stops operating battery like lenovo?

Please start a new topic for your question and I will be glad to help, thankyou

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★