Why did my touchscreen suddenly stopped working?

bb54216
bb54216 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
I recently received my Acer Spin 3 in the mail 2 days ago and as soon as I open it. It asked to install Windows 10 which I did and It worked fine for about a day. When out of nowhere the touchscreen stopped responding at all. I still learning the system so I could use some help as to a possible solution or should I just reset back to the original operating system. 

Answers

• J_Walker
    J_Walker Member Posts: 2 New User
    I have the same problem. I received my Acer Spin 3 a few days ago. With first boot up the touchscreen was working, however, Windows 10 immediately started doing updates and the touchscreen hasn't worked since.
    - I have updated the BIOS to ver. 1.07.
    - I have reset the BIOS settings to default.
    - I have head down the reset button behind the tiny hole on the bottom of the laptop.
    - I have rolled back Windows 10 to before the update.
    - I have reset (reinstalled Windows 10) no less than three times. This is painfully slow considering mine came with a traditional 5400rpm HDD and not an SSD.
    - I have let Windows FULLY update until there were no updates left.
    - I have uninstalled Norton and fifty other pieces of bloatware that came pre-installed on the machine.
    The drivers don't even show up in device manager; they did before the update. There WAS a "touchscreen" driver listed under Human Interface Devices in device manager. Now there's nothing. It's as though the hardware doesn't even exist for Windows to "see" it. I called Acer support who walked me through everything I already did on my own. I called them twice on two different days and got two different people and they did the same things without offering anything other than the most basic support. No real technical support at all. They didn't escalate me to a smarter tech when I made it clear that I was computer savvy and had already performed all of the technical and troubleshooting steps they were making me go through. Both calls resulted in them asking me to send the laptop in for repairs. There's almost no way this is a hardware problem. I 100% believe that the Windows update broke Windows in a way that it no longers sees the touchscreen hardware attached to the system. At this point I can exchange the laptop with the retailer I bought it from and receive a brand new one. I'd rather do that than have some refurbish guy get his dirty hands all over my new machine and then send it back to me.

Since you only got yours a few days ago I can assume you don't already have important things saved to the hard drive so you can go ahead and try doing the resets like I did, but it didn't work for me. I'm getting ready to return mine to the retailer.