Triton 700 (GTX1080) Keyboard - Some Keys are Unresponsive

Christopher87
Christopher87 Member Posts: 5 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
TLDR Some keys don't register consistently, out of the box.

Hi all, first post here. I bought the Triton 700 a few hours ago and have been spending my time installing games and windows updates. During initial setup, I couldn't sign into wifi and for the life of me couldn't figure out why. Turned out that the 'q' key was not taking. I would press it (either hard or softly), hear the mechanical 'click' and the button would still not register as being pressed within the input box. After many attempts and playing with it for a while, it finally worked. Later on, when signing into my MS account, the 'e' button wouldn't work. This one was much worse. Took a good ten minutes to get it to work regularly. It's like the keys need a breaking-in period and being hit 100 or so times before working on-demand. I've never experienced this with any other computer or laptop in my lifetime. Keys typically either work or don't.

Now for the 'delete' key. This is the worst of all. Since I discovered it when trying to delete a file, it still doesn't work right. I can't just tap the key. I can press it softly or with a lot of force. I've even held it down and moved the pressure right, left, up or down. I cannot determine what the correct way to hit it is. It doesn't work on command, though.. sometimes it does. Maybe 20% of the time. Meaning I have to hit it 4-5 times on average before it takes (very frustrating). I haven't tried all the keys, such as the function keys or the numpad... but I'm concerned. This is a premium gaming machine. How will I know in-game if a key isn't working or if it's the game's software bugging out? Is there an easy fix to this? Maybe a firmware update? The laptop [so far] has been work phenomenally otherwise.

Would love your thoughts. Thank you.

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    To check the current BIOS version open 'RUN' and enter msinfo32. In system summary you will find the version of the BIOS. 

There is a BIOS for your device available here: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/support-product/7352?b=1

Before executing the installation make sure battery is 100% charged and laptop connected to charger. The system may restart several times, so don't turn it off.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Christopher87
    TLDR Installed update, it did not fix issue.

Nice catch! Surprised that the BIOS needed an update with such a new machine. Regardless I updated from v1.04 to the newest v1.05. I also installed all conceivable windows and drivers updates. Have noticed no change regarding the delete key however.
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    You should contact Acer in your region and request a repair. If your device is still in test period, contact the retailer you bought the laptop from and ask for a replacement.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• wuhao
    wuhao Member Posts: 3 New User
    Don't worry...
    I also got the laptop today which has the same issue that bothered me. But after I tired to hit these unresponsive keys by random for some times, they finally recovered one by one surprisingly. Thank goodness! Now it becomes perfect. So I suggest you go on with trying to hit them by random though some keys really take longer time to recover.
    Anyway I like the laptop very much. What an amazing laptop that seems created by god!
  • Christopher87
    RE: ven98, I'll contact Acer to see what my options are. Can't really go back to the retailer, as this was the last one they had in stock.

RE: wuhao, that works for me for *most* keys. However, I haven't tried them all and it did/does not work for my Delete key.
  • Broko
    Broko Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
    Has anyone else had this problem?

My triton 700 has the same issue with the S key. It's extremely annoying. Sometimes it completely stops working until I press it many times, or press it harder than normal. This seems like a very unusual issue - as OP said, keys usually either work or don't work. But with Triton 700 it's apparently a middle ground. Thankfully, I've only noticed this issue with my S key and no others.

Unfortunately, only one retailer had this laptop when I bought it and they are notorious for having terrible customer support. I wonder, is there a way to fix this issue on our own? Maybe something we can do if we open the keyboard, like removing something that's stuck there? I just can't explain why the issue occurs and how come my key works and then stops working after I haven't used it in a while.

Overall, I think I regret paying so much for this machine, it has some embarrassing issues for the price tag it has. I should have went for a desktop tower build at half the price. ;/