Acer swift 3 (i5 8250u /GeForce MX150) wi-fi problem, it stops all my network! Help!!

Options
Curro252
Curro252 Member Posts: 7 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
Hello, I've just bought the brand new Acer Swift 3 (with i5 8250u CPU and GeForce MX150 GPU) and I have a big issue with the wi-fi. What happens is that, when i connect to the router, it works properly for about 2 mins, than it blocks every device connected to the router (internet goes really slow, almost stuck). I've tried every solution found on the net (upgrade Win 10, upgrade wireless card drivers, disabled autotuningleve, disabled energy saving options, changed router) but nothing worked. I have bought the PC with a friend (he bought the same model from the same vendor) but he has no problem. Could it be an HW problem?? Please help me, I am desperate, the laptop costed too much to have this issue!!

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options
    Updating the BIOS might help. You can download the latest BIOS from here: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/drivers

The download file is archived, so you have to extract it before installation. NOTE: Before executing the installation make sure battery is fully charged and laptop connected to charger. During the installation the system may restart several time, so don't turn it off.

If updating the BIOS doesn't help, you should contact Acer in your region, or if your device is still in test period, return it back to the store you bought it from.

Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Curro252
    Options
    ven98 said:
    Updating the BIOS might help. You can download the latest BIOS from here: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/drivers

The download file is archived, so you have to extract it before installation. NOTE: Before executing the installation make sure battery is fully charged and laptop connected to charger. During the installation the system may restart several time, so don't turn it off.

If updating the BIOS doesn't help, you should contact Acer in your region, or if your device is still in test period, return it back to the store you bought it from.

Thanks for the suggestion, I've checked my BIOS version and it's already the most updated (1.03). No other solutions before returning it back? 
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options
    Can't think of any. You have already done the troubleshooting that needed to be done.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• brummyfan2
    Options
    Hi,
    Could you please try removing the devices connected to router, download the driver from Acer support site and reinstall your WiFi driver and see whether it resolves the problem, could you please post the laptop model( SF314-xx), the driver version and WiFi make.
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/drivers
  • Curro252
    Options
    brummyfan2 said: u
    Hi,
    Could you please try removing the devices connected to router, download the driver from Acer support site and reinstall your WiFi driver and see whether it resolves the problem, could you please post the laptop model( SF314-xx), the driver version and WiFi make.
    The model is SF315-51, I have already installed the latest drivers downloaded from the Intel site (which are more updated than the Acer's one) but it didn't work :(
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    Hi,
    Go to Settings( click Windows logo), click Network and Internet tile, click WiFi in the left pane, click Manage known networks, click if you see any unknown networks( neighbours') and click "Forget", do this for all unknown networks and leave only your WiFi connection in there(like in my snip).

• Curro252
    Options
    brummyfan said:
    Hi,
    Go to Settings( click Windows logo), click Network and Internet tile, click WiFi in the left pane, click Manage known networks, click if you see any unknown networks( neighbours') and click "Forget", do this for all unknown networks and leave only your WiFi connection in there(like in my snip).

Thanks again for the help, but I live in the countryside and I have no other Wi-Fi connection close to my place! :/
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    Curro252 said:
    brummyfan said:
    Hi,

Thanks again for the help, but I live in the countryside and I have no other Wi-Fi connection close to my place! :/
    Hi,
    OK, then try this, connect your laptop with Ethernet cable, go to Control panel, Network and internet, Network connections, right click your WiFi, select Disable and then Delete it, reboot and create a new WiFi connection.

• Curro252
    Options

Thanks, but this laptop has no ethernet port. Now I'm trying to install a wifi working copy of windows 10 on my external hd and trying to boot the laptop from the exteral drive, if it works it means that the installed version on the laptop is bugged.
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    Hi,
    Give this a try, type "troubleshoot" at Start search, click Network connections and see whether it fixes the problem.

• Curro252
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Hi,
    Give this a try, type "troubleshoot" at Start search, click Network connections and see whether it fixes the problem.

Just tried, getting "No errors found" message, I've never solved a problem with MS troubleshooting.
    However this story will finish, I find shocking that Acer and other producers does not test their product before selling them (and the worst thing is that this error is almost impossible to be fix!!!).
  • Curro252
    Options
    I've just finished the test with the W10(already tested and working) running from an external drive. At the beginning it seemed to work, but after 5 minutes the internet connection dropped. I've tried everything, there is no solution, I will return it back to the shop. So bad!