Possible Bad hard dive and black screen on normal boot

Walterj
Walterj Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
Hi 
I have tpm276mg lap top 8g mem 1t hd(WD)  windows7 pro.
when i boot the lap top a get acer logo that sits for few minutes and then blank screen no response at all from pc.(alt control del sol, same with escape key)
I can boot into system on manual with network support.
did go in to admin tools and checked 
1. I have found event it 7  in event log. 
2. did load wd tool to check condition of drive. did run extended scan, after 30 min  condition came with reason code 08 to many bad sector.
drive passes smart test.
3 did loaded speedfan freeware what has smart testin. short test came a red faliure and extended test read faliure.
what are my option and how to go from this point on?
thens for any hal
Walter

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

If you can still get the ACER recovery DVD or USB media for your computer, that'd be the best way to put the ACER-flavored Windows with all the right drivers back on a new 1 or 2TB HDD. Then you'd have no need to try to clone or recover this stuff from your old HDD as long as you've got what personal files you want off of it onto a USB stick already. Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    only one option, buy a new HDD.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Walterj

Tinkerer

IronFly
    Thanks for your answer.
    based on what i am have to due
    1 buy new WD 1t hd  and what approch to take?
    1. clone hd(ghost or any option that type) 
    2. I have backup from about 2 months back and drive and application DVD, rune restore and reload from this point.
    Thanks for your help. Walter
  • IronFly
    if your HDD is still running, clone it; you can buy a WD or other brands of the same size.
  • IronFly
    You can do it, no problem on a larger HDD
  • Walterj

Tinkerer

Hi
    I have called local microcenter store. their repair guy told me that i can not clone the hd ***** all bad sector will be moved to new hd. his recomendation was boy new OS and dump on new hd.
    thanks for your help. Walter
  • JackE
    No. Bad sectors on the old HDD won't be moved to the new HDD. Bad sectors are hardware damage. The cloning software might have problems reading the old HDD but it certainly won't transfer its hardware damage to the new HDD. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Walterj

Tinkerer

Thanks JackE
    My apprach will be then at this point get a Acer full original backup(4 dvd) and drivers application. since i am running in save  mode
     i am mot able to get windows backup. did cut some folders on pin drive that i felt i did like to have. get 1 or 2 t hd and clone and hope for the best
    Thanks Walter
  • JackE
    Answer ✓

If you can still get the ACER recovery DVD or USB media for your computer, that'd be the best way to put the ACER-flavored Windows with all the right drivers back on a new 1 or 2TB HDD. Then you'd have no need to try to clone or recover this stuff from your old HDD as long as you've got what personal files you want off of it onto a USB stick already. Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• Walterj

Tinkerer

HI JackE
    Based what i was able to find out that there in rescu dvd dsk, There is secret(hidden) partition for windows and actual acer backup creates on 4 dvd operating system and on 5 disk are application and drivers.
    Thanks walter