RAM upgrade on the new Spin 5 SP515-51GN Kaby Lake R

Options
muntos
muntos Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi everybody,

I'm planning to get a Acer Spin 5 SP515 laptop, which comes with 8GB RAM and I'm wonder if in the future the memory can be upgraded (16 GB RAM) or isn't possible (as the memory is soldered on the board) ?
The full model is : Laptop 2in1 Acer Spin 5 SP515-51GN Intel Core Kaby Lake R 8th Gen i5-8250U 256GB 8GB nVidia GTX 1050 2GB Win10 FullHD nx.gtqex.001
Specs here:
http://www.cel.ro/laptop-laptopuri/laptop-2in1-acer-spin-5-sp515_51gn-intel-core-kaby-lake-r-8th-gen-i5_8250u-256gb-8gb-nvidia-gtx-1050-2gb-win10-fullhd-pNSQ3NDYq-l/

Thanks !

Best Answer

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,106 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi,
    You have no slots for upgrading memory, you have to choose whether 8GB or 16GB model you need as these models come with either 8GB or 16GB on-board memory, as you have realised they are soldered to the motherboard.
  • muntos
    muntos Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    Hi,
    You have no slots for upgrading memory, you have to choose whether 8GB or 16GB model you need as these models come with either 8GB or 16GB on-board memory, as you have realised they are soldered to the motherboard.
    Thanks, not exactly what I hoped for, I didn't see the 16GB option available on my market, I'll see if 8GB is enough for day to day work.
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    You are welcome, yes, 8GB is more than enough for day to day work but get the model which suits your work pattern.
  • Threader
    Threader Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Options
    8gb of memory is barely enough. What will happen is Windows memory management will assign Virtual Memory or also known as a swap drive to your local hard drive which is usually the first order or the C: drive for about half of your current memory or 4gb. You can customize the setings just do a search for your particular OS. Anyways if your Acer notebook main storage drive as a slow 5400 RPM hard drive this will be very slow access virtual memory and you perceive a slow response with your system as your approach the upper physical limits of your 8gbs of real memory and the system start to use more heavily the virtual memory on your slow hard drive. NOW If your Acer notebook has an SDD then you will perceive much less the use of the virtual memory because SSDs in general have much faster access speeds as compared to slow 5400 rpm hard drives.

Long story short 8gb of main memory can be tolerated if your Acer notebook has an SSD. if the SSD is not the main C: drive for some odd reason than you will not to remove the auto assigned C: drive virtual memory assignment and reassign it to whatever drive the SSD is D: E: F: and so on.
  • Bookman
    Bookman Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hi,
    Is there a 16GB model available in Singapore then ?
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    Bookman said:
    Hi,
    Is there a 16GB model available in Singapore then ?

Hi,
    I couldn't find these models in your region but you could try contacting Acer Support in Singapore, they may be able to help you.
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/SG/content/service-contact
  • Winston888
    Winston888 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Options
    muntos said:
    Hi,
    Thanks, not exactly what I hoped for, I didn't see the 16GB option available on my market, I'll see if 8GB is enough for day to day work.
    Hi Muntos, I did some amount of searching online before my purchase of the spin 5 i7 series.
    For market that doesn't provide 16GB for the spin 5, you can look for nitro spin 5, they are identical with the i7 spin 5 with 16GB Ram & different color 
    Not so sure about the i5 line up though.

• Drik
    Drik Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hello. I have an old
    acer spin 5sp513-51-31r8 currently a 4gb ram.
    It says on the screen that it has 4slots of ram.
    Can anybody tell me if how many slots of ram does it have? Because im planning to upgrade it. . Thanks 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    @Drik, you should have started a new thread with your question, since you model is different than the one in this thread. Your SP513-51 supports up to 16GB in the one SO-DIMM slot, it needs to be DDR4 2133MHz at 1.2V, so PC4-17000.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.