Spin 5 (SP513-52n) - BSOD (SYSTEM_PTE_MISUSE, DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE)

Options
delold
delold Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hi,

I'm currently owning Spin 5 SP513-52n and I'm having frequent BSOD crashes. 
After the crash, the audio stops working (audio has a red cross in the taskbar - no audio devices detected) & the device won't shut down properly and the fans spin indefinitely. Only after a hard shutdown fixed the issue and the audio starts working again.

Already exchanged for a new one, but the crashes still persist.

The OS has been upgraded to Windows 10 Education (Fall Creators Update). BIOS has been updated to v1.0.1 and I also tried to reinstall the audio driver, without any luck though.

Does anyone have the same issue with their device?
Thanks
David

Best Answer

• jayjaycz
    jayjaycz Member Posts: 3 New User
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hello, this is me again.

I just want to offer one more solution that finally resolved every audio related problem in Windows 10 for me. Completely removing my Win10 installation (formatting hard drive) and installing again from usb stick did the trick. Not only did it provide fresh installation without any of the Acer bloatware, but also apparently installed more stable drivers. Just to make sure things won't start to fail again, i installed generic win10 high definition audio driver. It is about 20 days of daily usage without any audio problems. It looks like the problems were caused by a driver that came with the initial system and no driver reinstallations could fix it.

Answers

• delold

Tinkerer

edited November 2017
    Options
    All the images from the crashes can be found here: photos.app.goo.gl/Jx0r8Vrety2roekg1
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Options

>>>Does anyone have the same issue with their device?>>>

Maybe not the exact same issue with the exact same device. But yes, many are experiencing similar annoying issues with similar devices made by different mfrs. Nothing seems to be wrong with the hardware though. Frustrating. At the moment, about all I can suggest is to reset the machine to a factory-fresh state. And when you notice the machine starting the behave the same annoying way, quickly rollback to the immediately preceding Win10update from a restore point. Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• delold

Tinkerer

Options
    Is there an ETA for a new audio driver? Downgrading to older version of OS is currently not available for me.
  • delold

Tinkerer

Options
    Been watching the device manager, and it seems like the culpirt might be in Intel(R) Smart Audio, where it fails to start up: (code 10)
    STATUS_DEVICE_POWER_FAILURE

The device seems to start fine after a hard reboot. Maybe a bios update will fix this?

• JackE
    Options
    >>>The device seems to start fine after a hard reboot. Maybe a bios update will fix this?>>>

Not recommended! A BIOS update always risks bricking the machine if it fails. Right now, you have an annoyance probably caused by a Win10 update. But your machine isn't disabled----yet. Don't risk it. If the issue started within the last month or so you should have a few Win10 restore points to go back to unless automatic update restore points have been disabled. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• delold

Tinkerer

Options
    Updated the device to latest BIOS, the issue seems to be gone.
    Sometimes, the device won't wake up from sleep (screen is turned off, blue LED is illuminated). Solved the issue by preventing the HDD to turn off in the Advanced power management window.
  • JackE
    Options
    congrats. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MartinMS
    MartinMS Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    SP 513 - 52N here also. Same pattern. Fan not turning off. Blue screen and driver power state failure. After that audio device not installed. Uninstalled the driver and now new driver is not installing. 
    What would you recommend? I mean I could live without sound but this is a brand new machine so I'd rather have sound. 
  • JackE
    Options
    @MartinMS   >>>this is a brand new machine>>>

You can safely try to re-set it by following this video. But if still no joy, return it to the vendor as defective for a refund or exchange ASAP. Jack E/NJ PS: If you follow the video, press and hold the ALT key and start tapping the F10 as soon as you turn the machine, don't wait for the ACER logo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpzLJRAZldA

Jack E/NJ

• MartinMS
    Options
    Ok. So againt your advice I've downloaded BIOS from Acer site. It worked and my sound was back and audio device visible. 

Until today everything happened again. Fan malfunction, then system crashed, then again no audio device installed. I need this computer so I'm reluctant to return it. 

I'll wait and see if after a couple of days and restarts maybe it will reappear.  Please, leave a comment if anyone finds a way to fix it. 
  • JackE
    Options
    If you haven't done so already, I'd try to re-set the machine to factory fresh to see if it fixes the issue. I wouldn't wait too long though because the vendor probably only allows a limited time to directly return the machine for a refund or exchange. ACER warranty repairs will probably take a lot longer. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• MartinMS
    Options
    Fact
    JackE said:
    If you haven't done so already, I'd try to re-set the machine to factory fresh to see if it fixes the issue. 
    Once:) It didn't work. 

But as I hoped it works again after a few restarts and installing Windows Update KB4088776 (probably irrelevant). 
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>Once:) It didn't work. But as I hoped it works again after a few restarts and installing Windows Update KB4088776 (probably irrelevant).>>>

If the ALT+F10 re-set didn't resolve the issue --- and if a few failed boots were needed to get it working again --- a hardware issue is suggested. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• jayjaycz
    Options
    Hello, i had the same problems with this laptop - after i turned it on for the first time, after few hours audio crackling appeared. I've tried a lot of things - reinstalling audio drivers, trying different driver versions, i even reinstalled windows - nothing worked, problems always came back. After few days another problem occured - BSODs (PTE_SYSTEM_MISUSE mainly).

But one solution did work for me - anytime i reinstalled the drivers, i reinstalled Realtek High Definition Audio device in device manager. But there is another driver which has something to do with audio - Intel Smart Sound in "System Devices" (im translating, so the name may not be accurate). So i removed the smart sound - it disabled my audio (red cross next to speaker icon), after that i removed all the remaining audio drivers - Realtek drivers. I reinstalled the laptop, windows installed everything again and since then the problems are gone.

I hope this helps someone.
  • JackE
    Options
    @jayjaycz   Thanks for your solution that worked for your system. Perhaps this will work for some others. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• jayjaycz
    Options
    jayjaycz said:
    I reinstalled the laptop ...
    Sorry, i meant "restarted"
  • jayjaycz
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hello, this is me again.

I just want to offer one more solution that finally resolved every audio related problem in Windows 10 for me. Completely removing my Win10 installation (formatting hard drive) and installing again from usb stick did the trick. Not only did it provide fresh installation without any of the Acer bloatware, but also apparently installed more stable drivers. Just to make sure things won't start to fail again, i installed generic win10 high definition audio driver. It is about 20 days of daily usage without any audio problems. It looks like the problems were caused by a driver that came with the initial system and no driver reinstallations could fix it.
  • wildoutlaw4440
    wildoutlaw4440 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    delold said:
    Hi,

I'm currently owning Spin 5 SP513-52n and I'm having frequent BSOD crashes. 
    After the crash, the audio stops working (audio has a red cross in the taskbar - no audio devices detected) & the device won't shut down properly and the fans spin indefinitely. Only after a hard shutdown fixed the issue and the audio starts working again.

Already exchanged for a new one, but the crashes still persist.

The OS has been upgraded to Windows 10 Education (Fall Creators Update). BIOS has been updated to v1.0.1 and I also tried to reinstall the audio driver, without any luck though.

Does anyone have the same issue with their device?
    Thanks
    David
    what does the bsod say  some are same and some are different .  power state driver failure need to know which one
  • JackE
    Options
    @jayjaycz >>>I just want to offer one more solution that finally resolved every audio related problem in Windows 10 for me.>>>

Does this mean the crackling re-appeared from your earlier solution? https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/559676/#Comment_559676  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ