Question about upgrading

Options
RichardGL
RichardGL Member Posts: 24 Troubleshooter
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
I have a question about upgrading my RAM and maybe adding a HDD or an extra SSD, can anyone tell me if i add RAM should be exact same RAM i already have in the laptop ? , and can i add another SSD or HDD 1TB ? if yes do i need to reinstall windows ?

Best Answer

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options
    This laptop can hold up to 32GB(2x16GB) DDR4. 

Are you sure the 256GB storage is a SATA drive, because these laptops usually come with an M.2 SSD installed and no HDD?
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• brummyfan2
    Options
    Hi,
    Could you please post the model name of your laptop/PC and the details of your current HDD and memory.
  • RichardGL
    Options
    Sure , my laptop is ACER Predator helios 300 PH317 17" , 8 gb RAM 2400mhz , 256GB SATA . 1050ti 4gb....etc
  • ven98
    Answer ✓
    Options

Are you sure the 256GB storage is a SATA drive, because these laptops usually come with an M.2 SSD installed and no HDD?
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• md_maarschalk
    md_maarschalk Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

About reinstalling Windows or not:

If you add an additional hdd or ssd, in general you don't need to reinstall Windows. For Windows it will be like plugging in any other additional device, it will recognise the disk and you get to choose how you want it to behave. Only if you replace the existing OS disk with a bigger or faster one you'll have to either copy the contents from the old to the new drive with a program like 'Symantec Ghost', or use a hardware disk duplicator, or choose to reinstall Windows from scratch.

The other (less likely judging your specs) scenario is if you add a second, exactly the same type and size, disk and want them to function as one logical disk in a RAID0 Configuration. Then you'll propably have to reinstall Windows, or create a backup before adding the disk and RAID configuration and do a restore on the new logical disk.

• RichardGL
    Options
    ven98 said:

ven98 said:

how do i check what is my SATA drive exactly ? i mean ..all i know is that it only has a 256 GB SSD drive ...
  • Skelomorph
    Skelomorph ACE Posts: 463 Pioneer
    edited December 2017
    Options
    RichardGL said:
    ven98 said:

ven98 said:

how do i check what is my SATA drive exactly ? i mean ..all i know is that it only has a 256 GB SSD drive ...

What is your complete model #?

If it is the PH357-1, then this is the bottom, and the SSD is circled in red. It is a M.2 SSD, not a SATA.

http://www.tylorhost.me/u/iu

Skelo

Please quote me so I get a notification of your reply!
    If I helped you, like my post and/or select my post as 'Solved'.
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

Product: Acer Predator Helios 300
    Model: G3-571
    "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."
    - Dr. Seuss
  • ven98
    Options
    Go in device manager>storage devices and under storage devices will be listed the model number of the drive.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• RichardGL
    Options
    ven98 said:
    Go in device manager>storage devices and under storage devices will be listed the model number of the drive.
    NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKW25 , this is it i think