More space to run W10 updates on Aspire R11 (R3-131T)

Options
rachelevs90
rachelevs90 Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
Hi, I have an Aspire R11 2-in-1 latptop/tablet and I use it for general internet and document work (microsoft office).

I need to run an update to windows 10 but it tells me I don't have enough space to run the update.  I've deleted everything I have on there (except Microsoft office) and it still won't run.  I don't have an SD port but do have an external hard drive.  When I bought it and queried the storage with the salesman he assured me I could use an external drive to run software updates as necessary.  Deleting microsoft office everytime i need to do an update isn't an option (and I'm not 100% convinced will solve the problem).

Is it possible to run the update file to update W10 using an external hard drive and if so how? I'm not overly IT savy so step-by-step instructions would be great.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options
    connect your external HDD.
    open windows file explorer, right click your external HDD and choose Properties, check File system.
    if it's NTFS, you can start the update and your external HDD will be used to do it (it will take more time)
    if it's FAT32, you need to convert to NTFS but doing this you will loose any content inside, so you will need to backup/copy elsewhere.
    once done, right click your external HDD, click on Format, select NTFS on file system/format, quick format and run it; once done you are ready to copy back your content and do the windows update.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    edited November 2017
    Options

I have also moved the whole Office directory to external storage and back once the update is complete. Links stayed in place.

Also the R3 does have a slot for a SD card, it is just under a flap abt the back of the case.

You do not want my opinion of anyone who sells a Win 10-64 device with a 32GB drive that cannot be upgraded. That said I have three Win10 tablets with 32GB including office and all three have at least 10 GB free. (Have put everything possible on a SD card). It is possible.

• rachelevs90

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks Ironfly and Padgett.

Ironfly - how do I know if my HDD is NTFS or FAT32? Does it  tell me that during the process?

Padgett - thanks re. the SD card slot, I totally hadn't seen it. They guy in the shop told me it didn't have one so I just believed him :-/

I'll give it a crack and see how I go!
  • IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options
    Read my post, i already explained how to check it
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options
    ps "Windows File Explorer" - the yellow thingie in the tray that looks like a file folder.
  • rachelevs90

Tinkerer

Options
    Sorry for being really slow but how do I get it to use the HD as storage to run the update? It's connected and in NTFS format but system still tells me I need 8GB storage to run the update. Moving microsoft office files only saves me 2 GB and I need 5 more!
  • Leoperales
    Leoperales Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Hello. I just updated my Aspire R3 131t 131T with the Fall Creators Update using the Windows Media Creator Tool. It was easier than I thought. It basically saves the Fall Creators Update on a USB, and then you plug the USB in your Aspire and run the exe file. It will take several hours to update, but we'll worth the wait.