Aspire 5 a517 up arrow key not working

cardsharp
cardsharp Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
Hi, I hope this is the right place to ask! I just received my new Aspire 5 a517 laptop yesterday (I've had Acers for some time and this is replacing my older model).
I've been going through the process of installing the programs I use and have just realised that the up arrow key doesn't seem to be functioning - didn't notice until I turned down the volume with the down key and found that the up key doesn't respond to turn it back up. It seems not to operate on sliders either having checked. Is this likely to be a driver issue or a faulty keyboard? Haven't found any other keyboard issues yet and the drivers all seem to be up to date. Before I go to the effort of transferring all my files etc is there any way I can find out if it's a faulty hardware issue? TIA

Best Answer

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    It most likely is a hardware issue. Even the  laptop is new, you can still try resetting windows to factory settings. You can also try updating BIOS from here: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/drivers

Download the latest BIOS only. The executable file is archived, so you have to extract it. Before executing the installation make sure that the battery is fully charged and laptop connected to charger. The system might restart several time during the installation, so don't turn it off.

Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    It most likely is a hardware issue. Even the  laptop is new, you can still try resetting windows to factory settings. You can also try updating BIOS from here: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/drivers

Download the latest BIOS only. The executable file is archived, so you have to extract it. Before executing the installation make sure that the battery is fully charged and laptop connected to charger. The system might restart several time during the installation, so don't turn it off.

Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!