Acer Aspire ATC-710-ES61 Strange issue with add-on videocard...

RattyONE
RattyONE Member Posts: 4 New User
edited February 29 in 2018 Archives
Hi everyone!
I've got an Acer Aspire tower model ATC-710-ES61 to which I've added Nvidia GTX550Ti graphics card:
With the mentioned graphics card removed computer runs fine no issues.
With the card installed, there is no splash/bios(uefi) screen on any of the display outputs visible (both add-on video card, or onboard Intel HD) so blank screen, yet system boots/works almost fine - during start up with no splash, there is the usual system beep, windows 10 loads and then I get video output out of DVI port on the add-on card, I can log in, computer and applications work fine until shutdown, which is where things get interesting:
-If it's shut down via start menu or brief press of the power button on startup there is no display output whatsoever, no beep during post, no display after windows loads (!)
-If it's shut down via holding down the power button (the improper way) or RESTARTED via start menu, above issue does not occur ans system works fine ...
I've noticed integrated graphics toggle in bios/uefi setup menu but it is grayed out, is there a way to toggle it? (keep in mind I'm only able to get into bios/uefi with the add-on videocard REMOVED, as otherwise screen would be blank)
Any alternative bios versions I should try? I'm aware there was a model ATC-710-ER62 with Radeon graphics and ATC-710-UR63 with Nvidia graphics similar to mine.
Is there any supervisor mode in bios/uefi that I'm not aware of (like in Lenovo products)?
Any help here will be appreciated!
-RaTT
[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Best Answer

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited November 2017 Answer ✓
    @RattyONE

Your computer is a modern UEFI computer.

Your graphics card is from circa 2011-2012 when the entire computer and graphics industry was beginning to transition from legacy BIOS to UEFI. Since your graphics card is working kinda sorta, then it must have some kind of UEFI support, but might be too old to work properly.  If you want to try it as legacy, follow the steps below:

I don't own your computer model or your graphics card.

1. Go in to BIOS settings
    2. Disable secure boot
    3. Set Launch CSM to Always
    4. Save/exit

Those four steps will enable legacy support.  I don't know if it will work.

But let me give you a better solution.  Buy a new graphics card that is a modern UEFI card. The card below will work right out of the box with no changes to your BIOS necessary.

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Support-Graphics-02G-P4-6150-KR/dp/B01M9FD3PC

The link below will give you a general idea of what people with TC-710 are using for graphics cards, but it's important to note that many of them may have upgraded their power supply depending on the graphics card requirements.

http://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Acer-Aspire-TC-710/22241

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    If you set supervisor password, I think you should be able to switch off integrated graphics.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• RattyONE
    The thing is I've never set any passwords, computer is 2 days fresh out of a box...
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    In order to enter in supervisor mode and enable the setting for integrated graphics, you will have to set a supervisor password.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• JordanB
    edited November 2017 Answer ✓
    @RattyONE

Your computer is a modern UEFI computer.

Your graphics card is from circa 2011-2012 when the entire computer and graphics industry was beginning to transition from legacy BIOS to UEFI. Since your graphics card is working kinda sorta, then it must have some kind of UEFI support, but might be too old to work properly.  If you want to try it as legacy, follow the steps below:

I don't own your computer model or your graphics card.

1. Go in to BIOS settings
    2. Disable secure boot
    3. Set Launch CSM to Always
    4. Save/exit

Those four steps will enable legacy support.  I don't know if it will work.

But let me give you a better solution.  Buy a new graphics card that is a modern UEFI card. The card below will work right out of the box with no changes to your BIOS necessary.

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Support-Graphics-02G-P4-6150-KR/dp/B01M9FD3PC

The link below will give you a general idea of what people with TC-710 are using for graphics cards, but it's important to note that many of them may have upgraded their power supply depending on the graphics card requirements.

http://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Acer-Aspire-TC-710/22241

• RattyONE
    Thanks for a through answer JordanB!
    I was leaning towards the fact that the card may be way too old myself, as my old computer where it was installed had conventional BIOS still...
    Now that's confirmed I'll just get new Geforce 1050 to replace it, from the link you've sent me it looks like it's shorter than my old 550, which is great thing, as I had to remove the fan shroud in order to make it fit into Aspire chassis (for those interested, 2 slot wide card will hit the USB3.0 motherboard header/plug if card is longer than PCIEx16 slot)
    I'll keep you updated once I'll get the new card in, Thanks!
  • RattyONE
    Got my new EVGA GTX1050 installed today, zero issues!
    Thanks a lot for help solving this problem!
  • JordanB
    Excellent.  Good decision.  You're welcome.
  • plasmacam
    plasmacam Member Posts: 4 New User
    ATC-710 will not boot with single lane PCIe card. Once the card is removed it's boots fine. I've already disabled "SECURE BOOT" and that did not help. Do I need to update the BIOS? BIOS update tool? MFG date on the 710 was 5/2016.. The BIOS version now is ROI-A3..
This discussion has been closed.