Aspire A715-71G-785N m.2 SSD port?

franv1
franv1 Member Posts: 5 New User
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hi,
I just bought Acer Aspire A715-71G-785N and i am wondering if there is a free m.2 port where i can put my ssd.
Also what type of ssd can ni put in there if there is a space to put it.
Currently i am looking to buy : 

Western Digital WDS256G1X0 °C PCIe SSD 256GB Black or Crucial MX300 275GB M.2 (2280) Internal Solid State Drive – CT275MX300SSD4

Here are the specs of the laptop : 
Intle core i7 7700hq
8gb ddr4 2400mhz
1tb 5400rpm
gtx 1050 2gb.

Thanks.

Best Answers

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Hi,
    Yes, you have a slot capable of either a M.2 SATA SSD or a M.2 PCIe SSD, so it's up to you to choose the one you prefer.
  • franv1
    Thank you for the reply
    I have another question, what ram stick do i need to purchase to upgrade my ram from 8gb to 16 gb.
    Thanks
  • brummyfan2
    Answer ✓
    You are welcome :)  You need DDR4  2133/2400MHz modules.

• franv1
    Is it capable of holding an NVMe ssd's aswell ?
  • brummyfan2
    Answer ✓
  • jedz
    jedz Member Posts: 7 New User
    I bought an Aspire A715-71G-56ah is there a m.2 SSD port? and how can I install an m2 ssd, where is it located? Thanks.
  • brummyfan2
    edited January 2018
    Hi,
    You need to remove the back cover to install M.2 SSD, remove screws from RAM bay and HDD bay, take out the HDD and memory modules, you need to take off 17 screws at the back cover, use a guitar pick or a old card to release the tabs in order to separate back cover, lift the back cover slowly and find the slot next to memory modules' slot.
    Make sure with the local Acer support centre that you will not void warranty by removing the back cover.
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/

• jedz
    Wow! Thanks a lot. But there is one screw in the hard drive bay that is too difficult to remove,  maybe it needs a torx or a special tool and its too tight to unscrew.
  • jedz
    Yes, I have to verify first because it may void the warranty, there is a sticker covering one screw slot. Thanks.
  • jedz
    Hi. when I installed an ssd replacing the built in hard drive, there's no bootable devices detected you have to change the booting process from uefi to leagcy in order to work properly. Is it ok if I'm on legacy mode? Thanks.
  • brummyfan2
    Hi,
    How did you install the OS? Was it a clean install? EUFI is preferable for Windows 10 and more secure but if you are happy using Legacy, it doesn't matter.
  • jedz
    My existing ssd has an exisiting windows 10 installed, just to test it. The built in 2TB hard drive is only 5400rpm and is too slow, so much lag in windows 10 in uefi mode.
  • brummyfan2
    Hi,
    Yes, you can run in Legacy mode, it doesn't matter.
  • jedz
    Hi, shown in the above pictures regarding the internal M.2 ssd slot the connection is in NGFF? and not pcie?. Actually there are two versions available in the market the PCIE and NGFF. I can't open the laptop at the moment because of warranty issues, I just want to be sure what kind of connector will be used. In the picture the slot has two slits while the pcie has only one, so therefore it is an NGFF. Thanks
  • jedz
    Disregard my post above. The aspire A715 has an M.2 ssd M-key pcie x4 socket, so an M.2 ssd with B+M key will work with it but not for the B-key only. Finally! that ends my worries and confusion because I bought a sandisk x400 256gb M.2 ssd 2280 B+Mkey. Now my question is, can I use the M.2 as the bootable device for windows? Well, I have to try that out. Many thanks.
  • franv1
    Hi, i am wondering which is better for my battery: leaving it plugged in all the time i have the power brick with me or constantly charging it and discharging it from 0 to 100.
    Thanks
  • brummyfan2
    franv1 said:
    Hi, i am wondering which is better for my battery: leaving it plugged in all the time i have the power brick with me or constantly charging it and discharging it from 0 to 100.
    Thanks
    Hi,
    I prefer to leave the battery in while using my laptop connected with the AC adapter, discharging the battery every 3months, do not completely discharge the battery, low battery level at 10% and Critical battery level at 5%.

• franv1
    franv1 said:
    Thanks
    Hi,
    I prefer to leave the battery in while using my laptop connected with the AC adapter, discharging the battery every 3months, do not completely discharge the battery, low battery level at 10% and Critical battery level at 5%.

And what about when the battery is fully charged, do i unplug the ac adapter so the battery can drain or do i leave it plugged in.
    Thanks