Aspire E5-575-33BM Num Lock is off on startup. How to make it always "on" on startup?

Reznon
Reznon Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi. I've read some useless articles about registry tricks which could help to resolve the problem, but the result is the same... What we have now is the situation that Num lock gets off any time the laptops sleeps, goes log-off or restarts...
Could anyone, please, post here an exact 100% working solution for the current issue?

Thanks in advance.

Answers

• Raid
    Raid Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited November 2017
    Yes me too. The computer sleeps and suddenly numlock is reset back to "off". I've been on Windows since the 1990s and never had this issue on countless computers I have used all my life... until I bought this Acer with Windows 10 last month.

What on earth is going on? Like the person above I also tried registry tweaks various random remedies but to no avail.

That's why I'm here to the manufacturer's place. Now what exact thing must be done to solve this (Aspire ES 15/ES1-523-61L6)? thx in advance
  • TokenCDN
    TokenCDN Member Posts: 26 Troubleshooter
    It might not be the solution you're looking for, but if you uninstall the Acer programs - Care Centre, specifically IIRC - then the problem will go away.

Tried all the registry ***** myself too. Nothing would stick. Found some other threads where they found it was one of the components of Acer's software that kept shutting the ***** thing off. Since I ditched all the Acer stuff, the only time my numpad gets shut off is if I accidentially hit the numlock key.
    Now I just need to find a way to make the keyboard backlight to default off
  • Reznon

Tinkerer

edited November 2017
    TokenCDN said:
    It might not be the solution you're looking for, but if you uninstall the Acer programs - Care Centre, specifically IIRC - then the problem will go away.

Tried all the registry ***** myself too. Nothing would stick. Found some other threads where they found it was one of the components of Acer's software that kept shutting the ***** thing off. Since I ditched all the Acer stuff, the only time my numpad gets shut off is if I accidentially hit the numlock key.
    Now I just need to find a way to make the keyboard backlight to default off
    Let's suppose the problem is in the direction you indicated and I'm going to get rid off Care Center...
    The first obstacle I met is the choice which of these two guys is the main villain:
    Should I have to uninstall the both of them???
    In addition, please, clarify what is the "IIRC" mentioned in your post?
    Warm regards.
  • TokenCDN
    IIRC - if I remember correctly

Not sure what both you're referring to. For my machine (Nitro BE) I think there was only CareCentre and PowerManagement. I haven't bothered installing either, but I think CareCentre was the one causing issues.
  • Reznon

Tinkerer

Oh, I'm not allowed to enclose the screenshot in order to draw the picture I got... what I meant sayin' "both"... let me explain... In fact I've got 2 care centers installed (weird) The first's name is "Acer Care Center" and the second one is called just "Care Center" without "Acer" trademark mention in the title... The vendor of both is "Acer", thus I was a bit confused which of these 2 is the exact initiator of "the tragedy".
  • TokenCDN
    No harm in getting rid of both I guess. You can always download it from Acer's website later if you want it back
  • Reznon

Tinkerer

TokenCDN said:
    No harm in getting rid of both I guess. You can always download it from Acer's website later if you want it back
    Bad news... unfortunately that did not help... I uninstalled the both of care centers and the power managing software with REVO Uninstaller, then made a deep cleaning of the registry in order not to leave any trace... But... Num Lock keeps getting off :/  Do we have any other nice ideas how to solve the issue???
  • brian28
    brian28 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I called Acer Support in Australia to find out how to change the num lock setting in Bios but was told by the tech that he didnt know how and that it was 'out of his scope'. i would need to speak with the 'out of scope' team, at a cost of $74. Gr8 customer service for a brand new product, not... 
  • Reznon

Tinkerer

What if we find the direct number to workshop or CEO? =)
  • jworkm
    jworkm Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Reznon said:
    Hi. I've read some useless articles about registry tricks which could help to resolve the problem, but the result is the same... What we have now is the situation that Num lock gets off any time the laptops sleeps, goes log-off or restarts...
    Could anyone, please, post here an exact 100% working solution for the current issue?

Thanks in advance.
    For me, the solution was uninstalling "acer quick access" program, not the care center. "acer quick access" is the program that puts the on-screen notification on the screen when num lock goes on and off and probably also controls a couple other "function" buttons that I'm not even aware of.  
  • leavemealone
    leavemealone Member Posts: 1 New User
    I got rid of acer quick access like jworkm did, and now my number lock stays on like I left it. A millions times less annoying to use this acer product now. how resetting num lock settings each time you log out etc was a good idea to acer I have no idea. glad there is a work around for us lowly users since acers engineers have slept on this one. 
  • rg48
    rg48 Member Posts: 1 New User
    You don't have to delete Acer Quick Access, you just need to update your version to 2.01.3025.  I did it yesterday and the Number Lock works perfectly.
  • shupack
    shupack Member Posts: 1 New User
    I deleted everything "Acer xxx" and my machine is faster now.  Never used any of it, thanks for the suggestions!!