Firmware/BIOS update for intel ME vunlerability (INTEL-SA-00075)

thijser
thijser Member Posts: 7 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
There are currently several critical vulnerabilities in the intel ME system and intel advises us to get in contact with the hardware producer (security-center.intel.com/advisory.aspx?intelid=intel-sa-00075&languageid=en-fr)

I looked at the acer website but there did not seem to be any links towards new firmware/bios updates for the acer predator 15 (G9-593). How would I go about fixing this?

Answers

• jcorb2795
    jcorb2795 Member Posts: 3 New User
    I have been attempting to get an answer about this as well.  My model is Aspire E5-575.  I called and spoke with customer service and the representative told me that once the update is available, it "should just pop-up on your screen."  Not an adequate or true answer in my opinion.  Seeing as Intel only made the announcement two days ago, I don't blame them for not having updates available for everyone yet, but I would like to be able to get an ETA at least.  This way I will know if I need to get a new machine from a different (better?) manufacturer, or simply be careful for a few days.
  • jcorb2795
    jcorb2795 Member Posts: 3 New User
    I found an Acer answer that has some additional information regarding this issue, but it won't let me post the link because I am new.

At the time of this post, everything is marked "TBD," but I am hoping that changes in the near future.
  • thijser
    Yhea Acer really ought to provide at least a good timeline for this, security matters!
  • Rares95
    Rares95 Member Posts: 120 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Just wanted to make a thread about this when I saw this. This NEEDS to be fixed, as it's NOT an ok thing at all. I have a G9-593, hopefully we can get an official timeline for this
  • thijser
    I spoke with Acer and acording to their dutch tech support they have fixed this for a number of machines now and will be starting to fix this on the G9-593's in the near future.