Laptop sudden freeze and black screen after hard restart

BryanC
BryanC Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
Hi there, I really need help with a problem with my Acer predator 15. 

When I booted up my laptop, it showed a message "please wait while we install new updates". So I waited about 2 hours and it was still stucked on that screen. Finally I decided to restart by holding the power button. But, no matter how long I held the button, it won't restart. So the final alternative was to restart the laptop by pressing the pinhole button at the bottom of the laptop. I removed the power from the laptop and did that. 

After that I tried to switch the laptop back on. And it showed a black screen. I waited for 15mjns for the logo to pop up on screen and sadly, it didn't. So I restarted my laptop with the power button and tried my luck again. And it still wouldn't work. 

So I read online saying that you have to pressed the pinhole button for 4 seconds and wait for 5-10mins before starting up the laptop. And I did. Still no luck for me.

I even tried the technique where you had to press the power button for 30secs and then power on your laptop. Still wouldn't work for me. 

Can someone please explain to me what's going on and help me with this issue? The last I used my laptop was last night. It was working fine. Any help will be appreciated. 

I've uploaded an image of the black screen with everything else turned on. Keyboard lights and so on. I don't know what else to do. 

Answers

• Tomix
    Tomix Member Posts: 4 New User
    It seems like some of us with the 15 just can freeze when it installs the bios update. I'm honestly not sure if anything can be done on the user end. Since it froze during the install my guess would be the bios is now corrupted.

I've contacted Acer and await their reply. 
  • IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Call Acer support service.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Tilamas
    Tilamas Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Seems to be alot of people having this problem
  • w3amd
    w3amd Member Posts: 31 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    You aren't kidding. It's across many models too. I won't be paying for repair they obviously have a huge bug in the updating system.
  • TheSwede
    TheSwede Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited November 2017
    I got same problem, calling Acer support right now. Waiting for them to answer.....
  • TheSwede

Tinkerer

Got answer, they acting like they not heard about it...   to be continued...
  • TheSwede

Tinkerer

They told me they can not fix this via phone, need to send in the laptop  :/
  • w3amd
    This is not the only model. I sent a fax to HQ they have a huge problem they'll have to get on it ASAP.
  • Tilamas
    Tilamas Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

I also sended in mine today
  • marcelinotrejo
    marcelinotrejo Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    Hi everyone, I just join to the forum for the same reason, on saturday  morning  11/18/17  I turn on my laptop  acer predator 17 and it shows on windows 10 that some updates where pending, so I let it update and re start, and it never comeback, same thing as BrianC, it shows a "please wait while we install new updates" and the predator logo, I let it run like 8 to 10 hours but it never shut down, I was afraid to turn it of because I didnt recall that the updates show any bios update but on Windows who knows, finally I unplug the ac and let it run dry, it didnt work, when I turn it on again I just get black screen, the keyboard lighst turn on, the chargin battery is working, and even the hard drive and procesors fans sounds like is trying to do something, I plug a usb with a led indicator and I can see that at beging is trying to read and then it goes off, every 60 to 80 seconds do the same thing,  but the screen is black and completly off, I try connecting a external monitor and no signal, it sounds like is not just the screen or GPU is something that they push in to the updates that damage the bios and preventing from booting, I already try every trick that I found out ther, the bios button, unplug the battery, remove the ram, change ssd, hd, etc. and still dead, Is this an issue that acer can fix even if you dont have warranty anymore?   
  • TheHikingViking
    TheHikingViking Member Posts: 3 New User
    Same exact problem on 17 inch model. I had left my laptop on over the weekend. Came back into my office to discover the updating message. Waited a good while with no change so decided to reboot. Now the screen is black while the keys are backlit and I can hear the HDD spin etc.

External monitor shows nothing as well.

How nice of Acer to push an update that installs automatically and without confirmation/prompting and it bricks your $2,000 computer!  Thank God I just bought a smaller laptop for traveling so I'm not stuck without a laptop to work from today! I almost bought another Acer but opted for a competitor instead and now I'm glad I did. 

At least mine is still in warranty. I expect a quick and understanding processing of this machine or I'll never buy another Acer product for the rest of my life. VERY upset about this.

• marcelinotrejo
    marcelinotrejo Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    I try to call tech support and the chat on their website, basically they told me they will not repair or give any kind of support to equipment out of warranty, the guy that call me even ask me to take it to a best buy for a diagnose, I was like really? worst support ever, I think I am driving to san jose HQ is not far from home, at least I can trow this piece of garbage in their parking lot.
  • msmith123
    msmith123 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Hi, you can try to do a BIOS recovery.
    I have posted instructions for Predator G9-591 and G9-791.
    G9-591: community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/536940/#Comment_536940
    G9-791: community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/536941/#Comment_536941

In case you have another model, please post your model here, so I can have a look.
  • sbosco
    sbosco Member Posts: 2 New User
    Yes, same exact thing happened to my Aspire R14. Mine is just under 2 years old and not under warranty. Same response from Acer. They claim this is "not a common issue." 
  • msmith123
    msmith123 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

sbosco said:
    Yes, same exact thing happened to my Aspire R14. Mine is just under 2 years old and not under warranty. Same response from Acer. They claim this is "not a common issue." 
    Hi, I also posted the BIOS recovery procedure for the Aspire R14: bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-SOLVED-Upgrading-BIOS-on-Acer-Travelmate-B-115M-Correct-file-name?pid=133715#pid133715
    See this thread for feedback from other users: community.acer.com/en/discussion/533702/does-anyone-know-how-to-perform-a-bios-recover-for-acer-aspire-r5-471t

• sbosco
    sbosco Member Posts: 2 New User
    msmith123, you the man! I followed your instructions, waited, and everything is now working. Thank you very much!
  • xcv4664
    xcv4664 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Exact same thing happened on my less-than-2-years old R5-471T-71W2. Please help. Acer is going to charge $399.99 for repairs. Ridiculous. 
  • w3amd
    edited November 2017
    They shouldn't charge anything if you can't get it going yourself. They botched the update and many many people have this problem. If they want to charge contact Mark (Customer service) in the California office.