Acer Aspire ES1 111m Linux Mint installation

Options
Gregorius1
Gregorius1 Member Posts: 29

Tinkerer

edited March 20 in 2019 Archives
My 2 yerars old Acer refused to accept the latest Windows 10 update. I suspect that there is not enough disk space available - 7.5 out of 32 GB. I tried clean Windows 10 installation it failed completely with the latest Windows 10 build.
So I have decided to install Linuxx Mint.  Installation from the USB drive went well. Next I run the Linux  installation from the desktop. Everything went well. I have formatted the disk prior installation.
All the installation process went well.
Then problem started:
- I cannot boot the laptop without the USB drive
- wireless mouse is not working
- WiFi is not working
- touchpad is working but it would not call it fully working
I am stocked. This is my first experience with Linux which is not working as you should and I cannot install Windows 10 back.
How to install the Acer drivers?
Is there any chance to dowload the Windows 10 build from 2016 fall? This version I was able to install.
I would appreciate any help!!!

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I can't help you with Linux.

For windows 10............

I use heidoc.net. 

Make sure go in to your bios settings and load the defaults.  The only bios change you should make is to enable the F12 boot menu. 

You're probably going to need to wipe your drive with diskpart clean before you begin. 

Use the default rufus settings to create your ISO USB media. 

Most of your drivers are going to be automatically installed during the installation process or within an hour or two from windows updates.  if after 48 hours you're still missing drivers then check Acer website. 

Don't forget, you can order your factory recovery media from Acer if you would rather do that. 

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-and-office-iso-download-tool

https://rufus.akeo.ie

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

Edit: To wipe your drive with diskpart clean. 

1. Boot the Windows 10 installation USB
    2. When you see "repair my computer" select it. 
    3. Select troubleshoot advanced, and then Navigate to command prompt. 
    4. From command prompt, type "diskpart"

diskpart 
    list disk
    select disk x    (x is the drive number that you want to clean)
    clean
    exit
    exit

5. Press and hold your computer's power button to shut it down. 
    6. Turn on your computer and install Windows.  Select custom installation.  Click on your drive (it should say unallocated space) and click "Next" and the Windows installer will automatically partition and format your drive and install Windows.  
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Gregorius1

Tinkerer

Options
    JordanB said:
    I use heidoc.net. 

Thanks.
    What are you using heidoc.net for?

How to get the Acer drivers for Linux?
    I have somwhere Acer Windows 8 recovery disk.
  • JordanB
    Options
    I use heidoc.net to get older Windows 10 ISO. 

I'm not familiar with your computer model enough to tell you how to get Linux working on it.  But if I were to try to install Linux, I would use the latest Ubuntu. 

Try searching the forum.  There's quite a few posts on how to properly install Linux although I don't know for sure if they apply to your computer model.  You can also search google. 

My my advice is to stick with Windows 8.1.  :)

good luck. 

• Gregorius1

Tinkerer

Options
    JordanB said:
    I use heidoc.net to get older Windows 10 ISO. 

I'm not familiar with your computer model enough to tell you how to get Linux working on it.  But if I were to try to install Linux, I would use the latest Ubuntu. 

Try searching the forum.  There's quite a few posts on how to properly install Linux although I don't know for sure if they apply to your computer model.  You can also search google. 

My my advice is to stick with Windows 8.1.  :)

good luck. 

Thanks.
    This laptop I use for holidays only. Problem is the internal storage 32 GB. I have read sowhere that there are Linux booting problems with this kind of "disk".
    I would prefere Windows 8.1 but it occupies almost entire drive (recovery partition). With Windows 10 I have ca. 8 GB available.
  • JordanB
    edited November 2017
    Options
    @Gregorius1
    Start a new topic in the Windows section of the Acer forum and ask how to free up space with Windows 8.1 installed on that 32 GB drive.  Maybe someone can help you delete the factory recovery partition since you don't need it.  You have a factory USB recovery drive. 
  • JordanB
    edited November 2017
    Options
    @Gregorius1

i did a Google search for you and found the notes below for your model.  

I'm still going with my original advice of sticking with Windows 8.1. :)

http://william.shallum.net/random-notes/uefi-linux-install-on-acer-aspire-es1-111m
  • Gregorius1

Tinkerer

edited November 2017
    Options
    Thanks. I would like to install drivers first to get WiFi and mouse working. With touchpad the devise is almost useless and requires a lot of patience.

If I find the USB drive with 8 I will re-install it.
  • JordanB
    edited November 2017
    Options
    @Gregorius1

ok, I'll give you instructions for installing Ubuntu (not Mint).  Seems like I had some touchpad problems with Mint too.

1. Download 17.10 Ubuntu iso

https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

2. Use rufus to create your installation media.  Use the default rufus settings as shown on the rufus homescreen.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

3. Go in to your BIOS settings and set a supervisor password (write down the password so you don't forget it).

4. Enable the F12 boot menu in your BIOS settings.

5. Save and exit your BIOS 

6. Go in to your BIOS settings again.

7. Insert your Ubuntu USB media

8.  Add Grub to the trusted settings under the Security tab in your BIOS settings (Select an UEFI file as Trusted........)

9.  Save and exit your BIOS

10.  Boot the Ubuntu media (tap F12 at the Acer logo)

11. Install Ubuntu

12. If for some reason Ubuntu doesn't boot when it restarts, then use the F12 boot menu again.

The instructions in post below might help too.

That link to notes that I gave you in previous post contains some outdated information, so don't spend too much time on that guys notes.. If you follow my instructions, you shouldn't need his notes. With latest Ubuntu, hopefully your touchpad and wifi will work fine.

Good luck.

I think you'll definitely enjoy Windows 8.1 more since your computer was designed to run Windows 8.1.
  • Gregorius1

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks. This computer ia total disaster. I have made a big mistake buying it. I had to reduce the power of processor to 95% to avoid the Blue Screen error. With Windows 8.1 there is almost no fre disk space after upgrades due to the restore partition. I thinking to throw it away an buy something with bigger storage. Problem is that if do not reduse the processor power (during installation I cannot do it) I am getting the blue screen error during installation process. I need a lot of luck to succeed any Windows installation.
    I am afraid Windows 8.1 USB  disk disapeared..... So Windows 10, Linux or trash been and new laptop..... In fact I like it - it is pretty handy.
  • Gregorius1

Tinkerer

edited November 2017
    Options
    Windows 10 failed again. I installed Ubuntu. It is bootable now but it cannot see WiFi card.
  • Gregorius1

Tinkerer

Options
    I have ended up with Linux Mint installed. It is working and is bootable. I was able to install the most important drivers.
    I will keep it for a while. It is my first experience with Linux so I will use opportunity to test it.
    We you have recommended Ubuntu instead of Mint? What is the differance? I understand that Mint is the latest version.
  • JordanB
    Options
    Ok, good job.  I don't have anything against mint.  I just have more familiarity with Ubuntu. 

https://thishosting.rocks/linux-mint-vs-ubuntu/
  • Gregorius1

Tinkerer

edited November 2017
    Options
    JordanB said:
    Ok, good job.  I don't have anything against mint.  I just have more familiarity with Ubuntu. 

https://thishosting.rocks/linux-mint-vs-ubuntu/
    I was not familiar with any of them... Ubuntu could not connect to WiFi while Mint got connected without problems. That's why I installed the Mint with Cinnamon.
    I have more than 20GB available instead 6 GB with Windows 10.
  • JordanB
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Ok, when you made your Windows 8.1 recovery drive a long time ago, it gave you an opportunity to delete the recovery partition on the 32 GB drive to give you more room.  Watch the entire video.

https://youtu.be/GcYUS-3H2B8

The main thing is you're up and running with an operating system.  All's well that ends well.

• Gregorius1

Tinkerer

Options
    I will test it. If I can get all the application I need working I will keep Linux. If not I will try with Windows again
  • JordanB
    Options
    Ok.  Sounds like a good plan.  Hopefully you can find your Acer OEM Windows 8.1 factory default USB recovery drive if you need it.  Because I'm pretty sure that your model came with a special version of Windows 8.1 (Bing Edition) that you can only get from Acer if you've lost your recovery USB.

http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/
  • Gregorius1

Tinkerer

Options
    I re-installed Windows 8.1 from MS page - I have the Windows key stored. It is working. But I am not sure if I want to continue with 8.1. I never liked this version.
  • HowardGibson
    HowardGibson Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    All way above my head this, the touch pad worked briefly when W10 was installed then stopped forever. why cant the solution be simple it worked with no issuels in W8.1 but what a rubbish OS it had to go.