My predator 15 is stuck while installing system update.

hayder
hayder Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
Predator 15 stuck on system update. Keyboard buttons are all frozen including the restart button. What should I do?

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    About system update, do you mean windows update or BIOS update?
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• hayder
    Bios update
  • IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    any image on screen?
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    edited November 2017
    If you haven't tried anything yet and the laptop is still unresponsive, then the BIOS update most likely failed. You can close the laptop and reset the battery. Here is how to do it: https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34843/~/acer-internal-battery-reset
    NOTE: Before attempting to do this tell us whether you get any image on screen.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Tilamas
    Tilamas Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited November 2017
    Exact same problem happend to me on my Acer predator 17. Did the battery reset.And now when i try to boot my laptop the screen stays black and the keyboard lights go on and the fans start turning and it just stays like that
  • Deimos
    Deimos Member Posts: 4 New User
    Tilamas said:
    Exact same problem happend to me on my Acer predator 17. Did the battery reset.And now when i try to boot my laptop the screen stays black and the keyboard lights go on and the fans start turning and it just stays like that
    Exact same thing here.
  • IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Call Acer support service.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Tilamas
    Tilamas Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

I just had contact with Acer i need to send in my laptop 
  • w3amd
    w3amd Member Posts: 31 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    They have a big problem across many laptops. This happened on my Aspire R5 also and another guy just posted about it.
  • marcelinotrejo
    marcelinotrejo Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    Hi everyone, I just join to the forum for the same reason, on saturday  morning  11/18/17  I turn on my laptop  acer predator 17 and it shows on windows 10 that some updates where pending, so I let it update and re start, and it never comeback, same thing , it shows a "please wait while we install new updates" and the predator logo, I let it run like 8 to 10 hours but it never shut down, I was afraid to turn it of because I didnt recall that the updates show any bios update but on Windows who knows, finally I unplug the ac and let it run dry, it didnt work, when I turn it on again I just get black screen, the keyboard lighst turn on, the chargin battery is working, and even the hard drive and procesors fans sounds like is trying to do something, I plug a usb with a led indicator and I can see that at beging is trying to read and then it goes off, every 60 to 80 seconds do the same thing,  but the screen is black and completly off, I try connecting a external monitor and no signal, it sounds like is not just the screen or GPU is something that they push in to the updates that damage the bios and preventing from booting, I already try every trick that I found out ther, the bios button, unplug the battery, remove the ram, change ssd, hd, etc. and still dead, Is this an issue that acer can fix even if you dont have warranty anymore?   
  • hayder
    I called acer support and I have to send them the laptop
  • marcelinotrejo
    I try to call tech support and the chat on their website, basically they told me they will not repair or give any kind of support to equipment out of warranty, the guy that call me even ask me to take it to a best buy for a diagnose, I was like really? worst support ever, I think I am driving to san jose HQ is not far from home, at least I can trow this piece of garbage in their parking lot.
  • marcelinotrejo
    OK here is the ***** tech support from acer, they going to charge me 399 dollars  case 4947403U plus shipping to send it to their repair center in 
    Acer Repair Center
    1394 Eberhardt Rd
    Temple, TX 76504
    because my warranty according to their system shows I am out of warranty Dec 31 2015  but the manufacturing date printed on my laptop is 11/21/2015 mmm kind of  strange, I run out of warranty 1 month after manufacturing nice..... 
    I buy it from amazon a year ago and I understand is out of warranty after 1 year, but this is BS is not like I trow my computer out the window or in to the pool and now I am going crazy about a warranty that does not exist, this is just BS from Acer to not give any kind of support, is this windows BS? I dont think so either some one screw up the update and now we are stock with a 2000 dollars bricks. 

I deffinetly consulting a lawyer for this. 
  • msmith123
    msmith123 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Hi, you can try to do a BIOS recovery.
    I have posted instructions for Predator G9-591 and G9-791.
    G9-591: community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/536940/#Comment_536940
    G9-791: community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/536941/#Comment_536941

In case you have another model, please post your model here, so I can have a look.
  • CarguyJC
    CarguyJC Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited November 2017
    Posting so others in this thread are aware, I woke up this morning with the same issue. 

Here is how I resolved it: 

1) Did battery reset (I used a sim card removal tool, but a long push pin will work). Make sure you insert the pin at least 7-10 seconds.
    2) Installed Bios file by following Msmith's link, I used 1.11 on a FAT32 formatted 32gb USB drive.
    3) Booted computer holding FN+ESC with drive installed.
    4) Power light flashed for about 1-2 minutes while it did its thing.
    5) Computer booted back up and all was normal.