Screen not turning on Predator G9-951-71HP

Options
Icedale
Icedale Member Posts: 6 New User
edited July 2022 in Predator Laptops
Hello everyone,

Yesterday evening I got a systemupdate that needed installing. I did this and the computer didn’t react at all anymore. After  about an hour of looking at the same screen, I unplugged it and (as it has a build in battery) put a paperclip in the little hole at the bottom of the laptop to “reset” battery power. 

The computer theb schut off immediately. When turniny it back on, everything started (lights all over the computer) but the screen stays black (not turninh on at all, like it has no power).

I’ve tried a lot of different ways to solve it, but I have no clue anymore.

Anyone that has any idea on how this can be fixed or what the problem might be?

thanks!

{Thread was edited to add model name to the title}

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    edited November 2017
    Options
    laptop model?
    tried to hook to an external monitor too?

another user had a similar issue:
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/533643/predator-791-screen-went-black-and-now-wont-turn-on-again#latest
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options
    Have you tried connecting an external monitor, to see if it will give an image?
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Icedale
    Options
    IronFly said:
    laptop model?
    tried to hook to an external monitor too?

It is a Predator G9-951-71HP
    and yes, i’ve tried that too with no reaction at all
  • IronFly
    Options
    try again a battery reset, then plug the AC charger and try to boot it.
  • Icedale
    Options
    IronFly said:
    try again a battery reset, then plug the AC charger and try to boot it.
    Done that a couple of timed already. Tries unplugging SSD, other harddrive, pressing pretty much all off the F... buttons while starting but nothing 😔
  • ven98
    Options
    Looks like some kind of a GPU issue, or a BIOS problem.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• IronFly
    Options
    as last resort...do what the other user did...leave it for some hours and then try to boot it again.
    if it still gives you a black screen, contact Acer support service.
  • Icedale
    Options
    IronFly said:
    as last resort...do what the other user did...leave it for some hours and then try to boot it again.
    if it still gives you a black screen, contact Acer support service.
    Seeing I’ve had this since last night, I’ve already done it. Contacting Acer through fb page now. If nothing works, I’ll have to bring it to the shop. 

Rather annoyed now with it as I use it for work aswell (teacher using it for Smartboard).

thx  for tye replies!
  • IronFly
    Options
    you welcome, i really hope it will came alive but...that system update was a BIOS/Firmware update and if something went wrong, that bricked your laptop and need to be reflashed from the service center.
  • Tomix
    Tomix Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    Have the same exact problem. I was letting my computer run overnight and when I came to work on it this evening it was frozen on "installing system update", but clearly no activity on the monitor and harddrive for a solid 20 minutes. Now I just get a black screen with no hard drive activity or Bios. I'm currently leaving it for a few hours to see if anything changes, but I doubt it will work due to it freezing on the installation.

If this doesn't work and I do end up having it to send for repair, can I remove the non boot able HDD before sending it to repair? I have my work information on it and is necessary to have even if the laptop is off to repair. Will this cause a fuss with the warranty/repair process?

Regards
  • IronFly
    Options
    Tomix said:
    If this doesn't work and I do end up having it to send for repair, can I remove the non boot able HDD before sending it to repair? I have my work information on it and is necessary to have even if the laptop is off to repair. Will this cause a fuss with the warranty/repair process?

Regards
    Better ask Acer support directly, i don't have experience on taking apart the HDD before sending to repair.
  • Tomix
    Tomix Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    The hard drive removal is easy, the back panel just needs to be removed and the hard drive can be disconnected and removed without much hassle. 
  • w3amd
    w3amd Member Posts: 31 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Options
    The bios update has failed on probably thousands of machines. There's posts all about it everywhere across multiple model lines. It's not the HD.
  • Icedale
    Options
    w3amd said:
    The bios update has failed on probably thousands of machines. There's posts all about it everywhere across multiple model lines. It's not the HD.
    And what will be the way to fix it? Just sending it back to Acer (as that’s what I just did, since it still has a waranty).
  • ven98
    Options
    There is nothing else you can do except sending it to Acer.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• marcelinotrejo
    marcelinotrejo Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    Options
    Hi everyone, I just join to the forum for the same reason, on saturday  morning  11/18/17  I turn on my laptop  acer predator 17 and it shows on windows 10 that some updates where pending, so I let it update and re start, and it never comeback, same thing , it shows a "please wait while we install new updates" and the predator logo, I let it run like 8 to 10 hours but it never shut down, I was afraid to turn it of because I didnt recall that the updates show any bios update but on Windows who knows, finally I unplug the ac and let it run dry, it didnt work, when I turn it on again I just get black screen, the keyboard lighst turn on, the chargin battery is working, and even the hard drive and procesors fans sounds like is trying to do something, I plug a usb with a led indicator and I can see that at beging is trying to read and then it goes off, every 60 to 80 seconds do the same thing,  but the screen is black and completly off, I try connecting a external monitor and no signal, it sounds like is not just the screen or GPU is something that they push in to the updates that damage the bios and preventing from booting, I already try every trick that I found out ther, the bios button, unplug the battery, remove the ram, change ssd, hd, etc. and still dead, Is this an issue that acer can fix even if you dont have warranty anymore?   

This is crazy, does any have an idea of how many computers get damage so far? 
  • Icedale
    Options
    Hi everyone, I just join to the forum for the same reason, on saturday  morning  11/18/17  I turn on my laptop  acer predator 17 and it shows on windows 10 that some updates where pending, so I let it update and re start, and it never comeback, same thing , it shows a "please wait while we install new updates" and the predator logo, I let it run like 8 to 10 hours but it never shut down, I was afraid to turn it of because I didnt recall that the updates show any bios update but on Windows who knows, finally I unplug the ac and let it run dry, it didnt work, when I turn it on again I just get black screen, the keyboard lighst turn on, the chargin battery is working, and even the hard drive and procesors fans sounds like is trying to do something, I plug a usb with a led indicator and I can see that at beging is trying to read and then it goes off, every 60 to 80 seconds do the same thing,  but the screen is black and completly off, I try connecting a external monitor and no signal, it sounds like is not just the screen or GPU is something that they push in to the updates that damage the bios and preventing from booting, I already try every trick that I found out ther, the bios button, unplug the battery, remove the ram, change ssd, hd, etc. and still dead, Is this an issue that acer can fix even if you dont have warranty anymore?   

Returned mine to the shop earlier todat. I’ll keep you ll posted on what they’ll say/find.
  • Tilamas
    Tilamas Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Options

I contact Acer support and they pretty much straight away said to send it to them. after i linked them this forum and the posts here. They gave me a Dhl coupon to apply to  the box to return it to them.
  • w3amd
    w3amd Member Posts: 31 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Yes they have some kind of problem during the recent BIOS update. Contact the service center and if you have trouble you can contact Mark in the California office. These things can happen, we all know that but Mark was a great support to call for help which was a lot better than the response I got from online chat or main support line. There are quite obviously hundreds or thousands of machines now which have been accidentally bricked.
  • TheHikingViking
    TheHikingViking Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    100% a BIOS problem. There was a recent update, which apparently installed automatically via Windows Update (HORRIBLE, CRAZY WAY TO INSTALL A BIOS UPDATE THAT COULD BRICK A USER'S MACHINE). 

Came in this morning to find my primary work laptop is toast. Great start to a Monday.

Very displeased with Acer today. Glad my smaller travel laptop is a competing brand. Don't think I'll be back to Acer unless they blow me away with their customer service fixing this issue. At least the Predator is under warranty.