Acer Iconia W510 boots to black screen. Windows running as Win icon on screen vibrates when touched

Options
fanfoz
fanfoz Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
The tablet shut down while word processing (battery ok).  When I rebooted after the Acer logo it went to a black screen with no response to key presses.  When I undock the tablet from the keyboard the Windows icon under the screen vibrates when touched but can't get to a populated screen.  If I force a power down it goes to no vibration, but when I power up no Acer logo and straight to a black screen (so suspect I am putting to sleep).How do I get a populated screen?  Failing that, how do I force a shut down rather than sleep mode, so I can try a reboot to BIOS with F2?

Answers

• fanfoz
    Options
    BTW - running Windows 10
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Options
    Press & hold the power button for 5 or more seconds to force a total power shutdown. Then release and press the power button once for a cold boot. Report back. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• fanfoz
    Options
    Been through this cycle many times. Always boots to black screen and logo vibrates when pressed. Have let battery drain but when I supply power and boot - black screen and vibrating icon.  Have tried mashing F2, F8 as booting but no joy. Suspect waking from sleep?
  • JackE
    Options

>>>Have tried mashing F2>>>

Press and hold the power button again to try to completely shut off power. Then, BEFORE PRESSING THE POWER BUTTON to turn the machine back on, start rapidly tapping (not mashing) the F2 key gently. Then, while still continuing to rapidly tap the F2 key, press the power button. Keep tapping away on F2 till something good happens, like the BIOS menu hopefully appearing. If it does, unless you know what you're doing, I suggest first trying to load defaults on exiting to see if that clears things up. Jack E/NJ    

Jack E/NJ

• fanfoz
    Options
    Been through the cycle 10s of times, still no joy and no BIOS in sight.  Is there a battery reset button?
  • JackE
    Options
    Turn the machine back on with keyboard. Make sure LED lights are lit. Press Fn+F6 and Fn+F5 to try to toggle the screen on. If no joy, HDMI out to a TV again pressing the Fn+F5 to try to turn the TV screen on. Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ