Firmware Upgrade for XB281HK Predator Monitor

Guggsy43
Guggsy43 Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
Does anyone know if there is a firmware upgrade for the HDMI 1.4 to change to HDMI 2.0, on the XB281HK predator monitor. As some people have found out there are compatibility issues regarding the Xbox One X. The xbox is HDMI 2.0, and the predator monitor is HDMI 1.4. I have heard on some things this problem can be resolved via a firmware upgrade. If there is a upgrade can I do it at home.

Best Answer

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    You can't upgrade HDMI 1.4 to HDMI 2.0, because HDMI 2.0 is physically an upgraded version of HDMI 1.4.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• ven98
    Answer ✓
    You can't upgrade HDMI 1.4 to HDMI 2.0, because HDMI 2.0 is physically an upgraded version of HDMI 1.4.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• Guggsy43
    So it looks like I will need to wait till next year to get the type of monitor suitable for Xbox X. Must support 4K, HDMI 2.0 have AMD free sync and HDR10. I don't understand why  if Tv's already have these features why are monitors lagging behind.
  • ven98
    Because HDR was used in movies and that is why TVs had it. HDR recently came to gaming and that is why we have no HDR monitors. This aside, maybe if you have a spare HDMI cable, you can try with it and see if that will work. I am not very sure, but to output 4k you need a specific HDMI high speed cable. You can research it on the internet.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Guggsy43
    I have already tried, that is how I discovered my Xbox is not putting out 4K. Because the Acer XB281HK monitor only has hdmi 1.4. But how ever there is an adaptor that converts the display port into HDMI 2.0. But I will need some sort of splitter as my PC is plugged into the Display port. 
  • ven98
    Do you know whether the HDMI port is 1.4a or 1.4b? If it id 1.4a there is no chance to make it work as it outputs 4k at 24fps. You didn't mention, but are you able to get an image from the xbox on the monitor? Instead of 4k does it play 1080p only? If that is the case then there is no way to make it work on 4k as HDMI 1.4 manages 24fps at 4k and HDMI 2.0 60fps at 4k.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Guggsy43
    I am not sure if the HDMI is 1.4a or 1.4b on this monitor. When I connect my Xbox up to it I only get 1080p or go down to 720p. The display port adaptor is about £25 from scan.co.uk. As said it will turn the Display port into HDMI 2.0. So if I was to buy a splitter or some kind of switch. I could have my PC and my Xbox plugged into display port via HDMI 2.0 adaptor. Or just hold out till next year when fully compatible monitors will be available. if I did buy an adaptor and switch the only thing I won't be able to take advantage of is the freesync or freesync 2. As the XB281HK is G-Sync. The xbox X is HDMI 2.1 so has AMD freesync 2.

• ven98
    You should be able to run 4k, using the HDMI to display port converter. I don't think you need freesync.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system