can't create system backup

marshastin
marshastin Member Posts: 5 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
i have new Acer and the manual instructions to create a system recovery back up do not match any of the screens on this computer. it supposedly put a back up on a USB (that i pd $15.00 for this purpose) that only used .5 GB instead of over 16GB as instructions mention, so it is  not on the USB. i am also trying to use the recovery drive on the computer to save an emergency back up there and it just keeps going, never ends. i expected these to work as i pd cash for my new computer. please help. i have working on this all day. 

Best Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    It is correct this time, because windows tells you what USB stick to buy, not how much memory it will take. Nowadays there are 8GB, 16GB, 32GB etc. and maybe 4GB and 2GB too. You can't save 9GB of data to 8GB drive, so for this purpose you need the next memory storage size, which is 16GB.

With this recovey drive, you can restore the windows files only and additional software that you have/had already installed when you first turned on the PC. Even if you delete the whole windows from the computer's drive, you can install it anew from your recovery drive or windows installation media. If you want to back up any additional files or documents you can download One Drive, which automatically saves everything you put in your Documents folder to the cloud.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• IronFly
    Answer ✓
    i think you are 100% safe right now.

Answers

• IronFly
    Answer ✓
  • marshastin
    I reran it as the video showed and this time it used up 9GB (not over 16 GB) so i unless i have to hope it was correct this time. I will check back here to see if you have further comment on this.

Also, do u happen to know if i should also do an initial system back up or anything else like that?
    Thanks!
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    It is correct this time, because windows tells you what USB stick to buy, not how much memory it will take. Nowadays there are 8GB, 16GB, 32GB etc. and maybe 4GB and 2GB too. You can't save 9GB of data to 8GB drive, so for this purpose you need the next memory storage size, which is 16GB.

With this recovey drive, you can restore the windows files only and additional software that you have/had already installed when you first turned on the PC. Even if you delete the whole windows from the computer's drive, you can install it anew from your recovery drive or windows installation media. If you want to back up any additional files or documents you can download One Drive, which automatically saves everything you put in your Documents folder to the cloud.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• marshastin
    Many thanks To IronFly and ven98
    i would just like to clarify that tech the in the video says his instruction tells him it requires 16GB and on my Acer Recovery Management software, as i was going thru the screens, it said i would need a flash drive larger than 16G (so that is why i went to the expense of buying a 32GB), then it ended up at 9GB used...hmm
    Is there anything else i should save now?
    Thanks again!
  • IronFly
    Answer ✓
    i think you are 100% safe right now.