Acer Aspire 6920g storage upgrade question!?

Options
Georgi27
Georgi27 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
Hey all, So, I'm looking into upgrading my acer aspire 6920g. I know it's old, but still works really well, except for a pretty slow hdd. I opened it up today and noticed a connector that I've never seen before (First time opening a laptop). I did some research and I believe this connector to be an msata connector. However, this laptop is REALLY old, and I doubt that msata was a thing back then. IF, however, it is an msata port, would I then be able to install an msata ssd ? I'm unable to confirm this 100% from HOURS of research and even the manual doesn't help out. Thanks all, Cheers.

Answers

• brummyfan2
    Options
    Hi,
    Unfortunately, the answer is no, because they are not mSATA connectors, even if the card fits physically, you won't be able to boot from the mSATA SSD, however, you can boost the speed by replacing your HDD with a 2.5" SATA SSD.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,482 Trailblazer
    Options
    Go to crucial dot com. Select Acer. Aspire Notebooks. 6920G. Lots of SATA SSDs and HDDs to choose from. Don't go too wild. Good luck. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Georgi27
    Georgi27 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    JackE said:
    Go to crucial dot com. Select Acer. Aspire Notebooks. 6920G. Lots of SATA SSDs and HDDs to choose from. Don't go too wild. Good luck. Jack E/NJ
    Thanks for the reply, 
    Quick question thought, are you saying crucial because they're the only ssd's compatible with this laptop, or will any 2.5" SATA ssd work? 

Cheers, 
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,482 Trailblazer
    Options
    No. It simply has good recommendations and a scanner of what upgrades should work well. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ