Headphones not detected Predator Helios 300

Sephiroth146
Sephiroth146 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited February 2018 in Predator Laptops
Hello, so I recently got a new Helios 300 gaming laptop, and before I did anything, I updated firmware and then did a fresh install of windows 10 to get rid of the bloatware and everything. I then reinstalled all the necessary drivers. After that was done, I ordered some new headphones that I just got today, but whenever I plug them in, they are not detected at all. The actual sound is working, but the headphones and mic and not detected in the devices list. I only see the computer speakers and the computer mic. Although the sound is working, I can't for the life of me get my headset mic to work on this computer. It works on every other device I plugged into. I tried troubleshooting for hardware and devices, but it said there was no issue there. Like I mentioned above, I updated all of my drivers before I did anything else on this computer. Is there anything that I'm missing that is causing this issue. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    USB or normal audio jack headphones?
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Sephiroth146

Tinkerer

IronFly said:
    USB or normal audio jack headphones?
    It's split to where it can use both. I tried troubleshooting with both separately plugged in. Here are the headphones that I got. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073W4SNPY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • IronFly
    if you use the USB connection, you must check if windows has installed a new sound card and look on playback device if it's set as default.
    you can check the same using the jack plugs.
    right click the speaker icon, near clock and date, choose playback devices.
    check if the headphones are listed and set as default, do the same choosing Recording devices.
  • Sephiroth146

Tinkerer

IronFly said:
    if you use the USB connection, you must check if windows has installed a new sound card and look on playback device if it's set as default.
    you can check the same using the jack plugs.
    right click the speaker icon, near clock and date, choose playback devices.
    check if the headphones are listed and set as default, do the same choosing Recording devices.
    That's the issue that I'm having. When I plug them in it doesn't do anything. The only device listed is the speaker on my computer and not the headphones. I think this is the reason that my mic isn't working but I don't know if there are any more problems besides this.
  • IronFly
    that's really strange, since you mentioned the headphones working on other PC.
    try to install audio drivers from Realtek website:
    http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsCheck.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false#High Definition Audio Codecs
    tick accept and then download the correct driver.
  • Sephiroth146

Tinkerer

Just reinstalled the realtek drivers. The headset is still not being detected. Would it help if I did a fresh install of windows, or has there been any known issues of this  with the Predator helios
  • Sephiroth146

Tinkerer

I also feel I should add that the sound only comes through the headphones when it's plugged in through the 3.5 mm jack, but doesn't come through when the USB port is plugged in. I also tested out my friend's A50 Astro Gaming headset on my computer, and it works perfectly. The devices were detected and everything, so now I'm thinking it is the product. I would hate to return these headphones as they work perfectly with other devices, but if there isn't anything that you can think of, then I guess I have no choice then.
  • IronFly
    can be a sort of compatibility but i'm not aware of other users reporting it.
    no other ideas on my side, since your friend's headphones work and yours work on other PC.
  • Sephiroth146

Tinkerer

Okay. I'll talk to the makers of the headphones and see if I can't learn anything from them. Thank you for the help you gave me.
  • Potatee
    Potatee Member Posts: 1 New User
    Just wondering if u have solved the problem yet? Cuz i just bought a Helios 300 and having the same issuse :( Pls help :<
  • AnOriginalUsername
    AnOriginalUsername Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hello, i'm having the exact same problem.
    In fact i don't even get the sound when i plug the headphones, even though i'm sure they are correctly plugged in.
    Updating my drivers also didn't help me. (also "Show disabled devices" and "Show unplugged devices" are already turned on, but the headphones still doesn't appear in the devices list)

• Tank52
    Tank52 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I'm also having a similar problem. My headset works perfectly on other devices, both the audio and the mic. However, when I plug them into the jack on my Helios 300 laptop, they never show up on the recording devices. The sound works fine, but the mic won't work or show up anywhere. My headset uses a 3.5mm combo jack. I've tried everything and it still won't work.
  • aks895
    aks895 Member Posts: 38 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Sound does work from the USB, I plug in my PlayStation 4 controller using USB an duse the 3.5mm jack on the controller to use for headphones.
  • Hans165
    Hans165 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Just purchase a Helios 300 and my Sennheisers are not working through the 3.5 audio jack. I can hear fine, but the laptop isn't picking up my mic and doesn't recognize it in the list of devices. The headset works on my replaced laptop just fine.
  • edrini
    edrini Member Posts: 1 New User
    I'm having this same issue. I have two Helios 300s, both with a 3.5 mm jack connected to speakers, and neither is detecting the speakers. Is there a fix for this?
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    edited April 2018
    Hello, so I recently got a new Helios 300 gaming laptop, and before I did anything, I updated firmware and then did a fresh install of windows 10 to get rid of the bloatware and everything. I then reinstalled all the necessary drivers. After that was done, I ordered some new headphones that I just got today, but whenever I plug them in, they are not detected at all. The actual sound is working, but the headphones and mic and not detected in the devices list. I only see the computer speakers and the computer mic. Although the sound is working, I can't for the life of me get my headset mic to work on this computer. It works on every other device I plugged into. I tried troubleshooting for hardware and devices, but it said there was no issue there. Like I mentioned above, I updated all of my drivers before I did anything else on this computer. Is there anything that I'm missing that is causing this issue. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

While your headphones are plugged in via usb, right click your volume icon in your system tray and select "playback devices".

Then right click your USB audio device and select "use as default"

This happens to be when I'm using headphones through dualshock4 controller with the DS4 USB dongle. 
    - Hotel Hero
  • AllDhattJazz
    AllDhattJazz Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

I am also getting the same thing...my Helios could pick up my headset fine before. After a few days it stopped picking up the mic. Anyone got any ideas on fix? D: 
  • Narizinho
    Narizinho Member Posts: 1 New User
    I'm having the same problem, i tried my HyperX Cloud Core on my Macbook and it works. When i turn them on on my Predator Helios 300, the sound works but the mic is not even recognized.... i need to use my microphone for my work and i can't find anything online to help me... Any suggestion?

• danishze
    danishze Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have the same problem. My headset is not being detected by the system. Please help me to fix this
  • daxas
    daxas Member Posts: 1 New User
    UP. Same here.