Is anyone experiencing system lock ups and freezes when opening programs or right clicking anywhere

erabenitez
erabenitez Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
I have a Acer aspire v nitro 17, 3rd generation. It has a GTX1060 and I7 7700HQ. Ever since I bought it it has been stuttering when opening programs and now that the new Windows Fall Creators update came out it has gotten a lot worse to the point of almost becoming unusable. It freezes for about 1-2 seconds when opening any program. Right clicking anywhere freezes windows like crazy. Only solution is to keep Nvidia gpu active but kills the battery life big time. It looks like everyone that has Nvidia optimus in their computer suffers from the same performance issues. I will leave a link to the forums where we are discussing this issue. Please anyone from acer let me know if you guys are working on new bios or drivers because I paid a lot of money for this laptop.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/intel-nvidia-laptop-freeze-problem/93e7004a-62b1-4211-8e37-4c136608865e

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    If you have geforce experience, uninstall it.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• erabenitez
    Having geforce installed or not makes no difference. Do you own a laptop with Nvidia Optimus? if yes what brand and what gpu inside and is it free of issues like the one I am experiencing? Thanks for your reply!
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    I don't own a laptop with intel hd graphics. From yout first post I assume you havr updated BIOS. Downloaf latest intel and nvidia drivers. If it doesn't work uninstall both drivers, restart the PC and let windows find the drivers. If any of these don't help then you can try running with intel hd graphics only and if it stops sluttering set all games manually to run on the nvidia gpu. 
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• erabenitez
    At this point I have done everything I can think of. Nothing helps. Last acer laptop I buy. Product support is lacking big time. Went to Nvidia, Intel, Microsoft, and now acer support forums and pretty much everyone is just pointing fingers at each other. Microsoft kept asking for feedback on the issue and have not heard from anyone in over a month. Guess is just not that important to them.