Having trouble accessing boot menu

BryanB
BryanB Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

From what I've read F2 for bios and not finding one for boot menu. Have tried F2 at least a dozen times, no luck. Aspire E3-111. Could it be corrupted and if so what can I do to correct it.

Thank you in advance.

Best Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Ok.  Hopefully ironfly can help you sort it out.  In the meantime, if you've have the computer up and running, you might want to create recovery media using Acer's built in recovery software.....just in case.  Just search for Acer Recovery Management on your computer and it will guide you on how to create the media.

In some situations where people can't access the BIOS with F2, they've had to disconnect the hard drive to regain access.  But maybe ironfly can give you something less drastic.

Also, there's a bunch of videos on youtube....

https://www.youtube.com/user/AcerAmericaService/videos

And lastly, take a look at Malwarebytes free.  Run a custom scan and make sure you tick the "root kit" box.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    as jordan said, disconnect the HDD and check if you are able to enter BIOS, if not, can be a corrupted BIOS.

Answers

• IronFly
    F2 is to enter BIOS, once in BIOS you can enable F12 as boot menu on boot (normally is under Boot tab).

if you are not able to enter BIOS pressing F2, try from windows settings:
    press windows key logo
    type
    uefi

click on change advanced setup options, click on restart and from the restart menu, choose UEFI
  • BryanB

Tinkerer

I don't think it is a uefi system. Just shows Simple, Basic and NTFS in Disk manager.

Thanks for the response.

• JordanB
    edited November 2017
  • BryanB

Tinkerer

Thanks JordanB, it doesn't help because as I said in my first post, I have tried F2 many times with no luck which is why I wonder if booting to the system bios has been corrupted. This computer was given to me in a unbootable state but I was able to fix it by using the windows F8 menu which allowed me to reach the Acer factory restore addin but if anything should happen that I need to boot to a usb flash drive for repair I will need a boot menu to pull it off. I'm sure you see the dilemma.

Thanks for helping, really do appreciate it.

• JordanB
    Answer ✓
    Ok.  Hopefully ironfly can help you sort it out.  In the meantime, if you've have the computer up and running, you might want to create recovery media using Acer's built in recovery software.....just in case.  Just search for Acer Recovery Management on your computer and it will guide you on how to create the media.

In some situations where people can't access the BIOS with F2, they've had to disconnect the hard drive to regain access.  But maybe ironfly can give you something less drastic.

Also, there's a bunch of videos on youtube....

https://www.youtube.com/user/AcerAmericaService/videos

And lastly, take a look at Malwarebytes free.  Run a custom scan and make sure you tick the "root kit" box.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/

• BryanB

Tinkerer

Thanks JordanB I'll have a look and wait for Ironfly's reply.

Hope I didn't fubar by hitting yes in question answerd

• BryanB

Tinkerer

By the way this laptop has windows 7 64bit. If you need anything else from me, please feel free to ask.

Thanks alot

• IronFly
    Answer ✓
    as jordan said, disconnect the HDD and check if you are able to enter BIOS, if not, can be a corrupted BIOS.
  • neevarm
    neevarm Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have ACER E5-576G Laptop

Operating System - Windows 10 Professional

I cant install VGA drivers.

Its NVIDIA MX150