Can't update or instal anything on my BRAND new Helios300

Klashinkov
Klashinkov Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
Hi There,

Just received my new Predator yesterday, and as I was setting up the laptop I realized some major performance issues. First of all windows update does not update (good internet connection), just freezes on 1%. Second, apps update doesn't update. Download progress is extremely slow and they don't install. Third thing, I download EA origin (very slowly)  and the setup does not install. Last but not least, there is a general slowness, THIS IS NOT A GAMING LAPTOP.

I did not install any third party software (firewall, antivirus etc.), and the laptop is brand new was never used before. I'm not really on the technical side when it comes to computer and I'm outside the US, so I don't know anything.

I will be very grateful for any assistance

Thanks

Best Answer

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    even if it's new, try a factory reset, press Alt+F10 keys at boot and choose to re-install windows.

if after that is still slow or having issues installing things, give Acer support service a call:
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Klashinkov
    IronFly said:
    even if it's new, try a factory reset, press Alt+F10 keys at boot and choose to re-install windows.

if after that is still slow or having issues installing things, give Acer support service a call:

Thanks, Just did that, its a little bit better. Now I downloaded origin and windows update. Bit still laptop is extremely laggy. What I mean by extremely laggy is that there is a delay between writing on the keyboard and seeing it on the screen.  Im currently downloading windows update hope it helps.

Thanks Again and if there is any suggestions please tell me
  • IronFly
    edited November 2017
    please check your BIOS version too and update it:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support

and if any third party antivirus is installed, like McAfee, please uninstall it and use Microsoft Defender only.
  • Klashinkov
    Thanks, after the windows update and the BIOS update the laptop, things seems to be getting back on track. I still have a problem with my Graphics card, just ried playing Red Alert 2 (great, but very old games) and all I get is a black screen. I think perhaps the 1060 needs an update.

Which driver should I update the one on Acer website or on Nividia ?
    Thanks

• IronFly
    i would try the nvidia driver.