Acer Jade Primo Tips, HDMI to VGA adapter, Active Stylus use. Ink with Windows Phone!!

Options
Greywolf1967
Greywolf1967 Member Posts: 46 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Ok so most know the HDMI works well on the Acer Jade Primo dock, so modern TV/LCD Displays work no issue out of the box. However I took after my parents and can be Scottish about getting rid of things that work. So I had an older Acer  G185HV 18.5 VGA Screen, it out lived my old Acer Revo 3610 Net-top. So I wanted to see if I could use the VGA style screen with my Jade Primo dock HDMI port, thank goodness for cheaply made dongles from China. I got an HDMI to VGA adapter for around $7 Canadian with shipping (there are a ton on e bay/Amazon so you mileage may vary).

Now I should say I have set it up a few times, and the Video is flawless, however no audio seems to pass from the HDMI to the built in 3.5 mm head phone jack. So there are 2 ways to pass audio to speakers in my set up.
1) Plug speakers into the built in phone 3.5 mm jack, as sound comes through the built in phone speaker when the adapter is in use.
2) Bluetooth Speaker,  no matter how you hook up it all works ok!!

When I attach the dock to my HD TV the sound passes via HDMI to the TV, so I am not sure why the adapter does not allow sound.

Ok tip 2....Stylus use and Ink in Windows 10 for Mobile, and the Acer Jade Primo

Now I was looking for a better way to take little notes and doodles on my old Acer W3 Tablet, found some information about Active Stylus. An active Stylus uses a small battery to provide a static charge like you finger, to interact with a touch screen device. Being a fine tip it offers better control to write and doodle over your finger or the old style fat mush tip stylus. I would say look for a stylus made for iOS devices ( iPad/iPhone ), as like the Acer Jade Primo they were never designed to be a Note/doodle pad.

The one I use is the Adonit Jot Script (now a discontinued model, and can be found at better price then I paid $99 Canadian on sale),  and there are a few companies who make Fine Tip Active stylus, but be aware that the stylus you look at is not designed for Wacom/Ntrig digitizers, like the Surface Pen from Microsoft. Adonit makes a Pen Stylus for Surface and other Tablets running Windows 10 however it will not work on unsupported Windows Devices!!!!!!!!! Again make sure before you buy what mobile devices the Stylus is Marketed too !!!!

Now I have a rather long and some what boring video you can watch to see the Stylus in action on both the Acer W3 Tablet and Acer Jade Primo.
 Please forgive my chicken scratch of printing, as it is never easy to reach around a Camera to write on a Phone :) 

You can skip through the HDMI to VGA adapter and get straight into the Stylus parts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYh0bo4crGY

If you have any other tips, please feel free to add them here !!!!!! Share your Continuum setup, cases, or interesting bits that make your Acer Jade Primo a beast !!!

Best Answer

• Greywolf1967
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Just thought I would post a pic of web page ink on Acer Jade.......it's a work around way to Ink/Annotate  in Windows Mobile 10, but it works.

Answers

• Greywolf1967
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Just thought I would post a pic of web page ink on Acer Jade.......it's a work around way to Ink/Annotate  in Windows Mobile 10, but it works.

• Greywolf1967
    Options
  • Greywolf1967
    edited December 2017
    Options
     I realize my hand writing is not the best example to show how well an Active Stylus works on Windows Phone so I had 3 friends give me a sample. None have used a stylus before and I got the to write or print "The Quick Brown Fox" with no time to get used to the feeling....as you will see my sloppy hand writing skill leaves alot to be desired!!!!

Nancy wrote, Tff and Sasha print