Swift 3 - Empty drive bay?

Options
porcupine
porcupine Member Posts: 6 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Could anyone tell me if there is an empty drive bay in the Swift 3, model SF315-51-518S? This model has a 256 GB SSD, but I'd like to add another drive for extra storage capacity. Thanks!

Best Answers

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,116 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi,
    Yes, there's a space for HDD but you may need the FFC cable and a HDD bracket assembly.
    Part numbers,
    For cable: 50.GSLN5.006
    For HDD bracket: 33.GSLN5.004

• porcupine
    porcupine Member Posts: 6 New User
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Thanks for your help! Will a 2.5-inch HDD like this fit? www.amazon.com/Seagate-BarraCuda-2-5-Inch-Internal-ST1000LM048/dp/B01LYNQXCP/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1510764450&sr=1-3&keywords=1+tb+hard+drive+2.5%22
  • brummyfan2
    Answer ✓
    Options
    porcupine said:
    Thanks for your help! Will a 2.5-inch HDD like this fit? www.amazon.com/Seagate-BarraCuda-2-5-Inch-Internal-ST1000LM048/dp/B01LYNQXCP/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1510764450&sr=1-3&keywords=1+tb+hard+drive+2.5%22

Hi,
    No problem, yes, that HDD will be fine, I forgot to mention about the screws for the HDD assembly, you need 4 screws (size  M3x3L)and the Part number is 
    86.RYNN5.003  or you can use any spare old screws from HDD assembly , if lying around.
  • Abstracted
    Abstracted Member Posts: 20 Troubleshooter
    Options
    Acer customer service refuses to release instructions on how to upgrade the HD. Do you have anything that you can share? How difficult is it to add a second HD?
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    Hi,
    You need to remove the back cover after taking off 12 screws, disconnect the IO FFC cable from motherboard (remove both ends marked red rectangle in snip), remove HDD FFC cable from MB(yellow circle), then remove 4 screws and take off the HDD, installation is the reversal of these steps, it's not too difficult but needs to be patient.

• Abstracted
    Options
    Thanks a lot for your reply and the photos!!! That makes me feel so much better about purchasing this.
  • Abstracted
    Options
    Part numbers,

Do you know where I can order these, and how much they cost?
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    Part numbers,

Do you know where I can order these, and how much they cost?

Hi,
    It's better to contact Acer Support centre in your country to find out the partner retailers' details or do a google search.
  • Abstracted
    Options
    FYI, cost is $9 each part plus $4 shipping through Capitol Data, for US parts: 800-999-4409.
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options
    @Abstracted

Sometimes youtube has disassembly videos.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Abstracted
    Options
    JordanB said:
    @Abstracted

Sometimes youtube has disassembly videos.
    Thanks but I've checked and the only one available is for the 14" not the 15".
  • wolfy
    wolfy Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Options
    just ordered these parts hope i can figure out where to fit the cable (when it arrives)
  • wolfy

Tinkerer

Options
    so where do you put the cable that i got one end on ssd bur the other end?
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    said:
    so where do you put the cable that i got one end on ssd bur the other end?

Hi,
    FFC cable connection on the motherboard is marked with yellow circle in the snip.

• wolfy

Tinkerer

edited April 2018
    Options

Cheers for that but worked it out , so know i have a 256GB NVMe disc and a 960GB SSD :-)

Just forgot the extra screws for the bracket but the bracket is screwed to the ssd but i had to use double sided tape to fix it in the chassis.

• brummyfan2
    Options
    said:

Cheers for that but worked it out , so know i have a 256GB NVMe disc and a 960GB SSD :-)

Just forgot the extra screws for the bracket but the bracket is screwed to the ssd but i had to use double sided tape to fix it in the chassis.

You are welcome :)
  • aerosax
    aerosax Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    wolfy said:

Hi Wolfy, congrats on figuring out that upgrade. :) I am also trying to add a second SSD in the empty drive bay, but support is telling me it's only compatible with a secondary HDD. Just to confirm, you were able to use the parts listed above with your 960GB SSD? Was that a normal 2.5" SATA SSD?

Thanks!
  • Moses83
    Moses83 Member Posts: 20 Networker
    Options
    Hi, I have an acer swift 3 sf315-52-81hd I am interested in installing a second drive so I called Capital Data and they sell the cable and bracket. They told me that only a standard hard drive can be installed and not a SSD. For real? I thought people can install ssd in any sata connection. And this laptop is 2018. Can someone confirm that info?