Tried to do a Windows 10 Reset - on Acer V3

cynic1966
cynic1966 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
Tried to do a Windows 10 Reset as my Acer V3 was getting quit slow. After letting it go overnight I woke to a blue screen informing me "Recovery...Your PC/Device needs to be repaired....Error Code: 0xc0000221...You'll need to use recovery tools" (windows system 32 drivers partmgr.sys missing)" Tried Microsoft site - Media Creation Tool will not run...
Is this thing bricked?

Best Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    to create a correct bootable USB flash drive:
    1) download a windows 10 iso using Microsof tool (or any other x64 OS iso):
    select the proper windows 10 version (the same installed on your laptop) and choose to save it as iso file when prompted
    2) download Rufus:
    plug your USB flash drive, run Rufus then:
    select ISO image from the dropdown menu near "Create a bootable disk"
    click on the little icon on the right and browse to the windows 10 downloaded iso file
    as  Partitions scheme select "GPT partition scheme for UEFI"
    as File system select "FAT32"
    click on Start
    wait until it finish, then uplug your USB flash drive
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • cynic1966

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Thanks IronFly - will give it a try if my Acer stays hung up - I skipped the Rufus step previously, thanks for the detailed breakdown. Right now my Acer has made it to the Acer boot screen but has been stuck there for a good couple of hours - looks like it is still doing something, so going to let it chug on (maybe still doing the Win10 reset?) before tryng the bootable usb you just described. Got it to this point by pulling the hard drive and putting a different (uncorrupted? partmgr.sys file on it) from my newer laptop (the one I purchased after giving up hope on the Acer.

Answers

• IronFly
    what do you mean with...Tried Microsoft site - Media Creation Tool will not run...?
  • cynic1966

Tinkerer

it wouldn't execute on another win10 machine I have at home (I have to dl it from a different machine, of coursre). Got it to load on an XP machine at work and copied it onto a usb drive after some work (fat32 format won't work on a 4GB file - but that's another issue). At any rate I am running it right now on my blue screened acer- it ran 'windows memory diagonostics tool' and came back with no errors...still at blue screen. Now I am running the same microsoft  tool ( 'windows memory diagonostics tool' ) but in export mode instead of standard mode....It's taking longer but no problems found again, yet. The tool is a 4.something GB iso file...Not sure what to try next if this doesn't work... It is not booting from the usb drive also - even though I set the bios (?) to boot from the usb options first.
  • cynic1966

Tinkerer

pulled the usb drive - no diff...so, looks like blue screen (Recovery screen) with no usbs working to use recovery tools??? 
  • IronFly
    Answer ✓
    to create a correct bootable USB flash drive:
    1) download a windows 10 iso using Microsof tool (or any other x64 OS iso):
    select the proper windows 10 version (the same installed on your laptop) and choose to save it as iso file when prompted
    2) download Rufus:
    plug your USB flash drive, run Rufus then:
    select ISO image from the dropdown menu near "Create a bootable disk"
    click on the little icon on the right and browse to the windows 10 downloaded iso file
    as  Partitions scheme select "GPT partition scheme for UEFI"
    as File system select "FAT32"
    click on Start
    wait until it finish, then uplug your USB flash drive
  • IronFly
    On BIOS enable F12 boot menu key, normally is under Boot menu.
    With the bootable USB flash drive plugged, press F12 at boot and then choose the USB flash drive.
  • cynic1966

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Thanks IronFly - will give it a try if my Acer stays hung up - I skipped the Rufus step previously, thanks for the detailed breakdown. Right now my Acer has made it to the Acer boot screen but has been stuck there for a good couple of hours - looks like it is still doing something, so going to let it chug on (maybe still doing the Win10 reset?) before tryng the bootable usb you just described. Got it to this point by pulling the hard drive and putting a different (uncorrupted? partmgr.sys file on it) from my newer laptop (the one I purchased after giving up hope on the Acer.
  • cynic1966

Tinkerer

Success...got it going, finally. Thanks for your help IronFly. Think it was the bootable usb, but who knows, also did a check disk and scan now, but had it sitting on and off the Acer boot screen for the better part of yesterday - tried a myriad of recovery option. With the (re)fresh install (and new battery...and soon to be new power cord) hopefully will get another 20 months of it!