[Acer Swift 5 SF514-51] Power button doesn't put computer to sleep

4000 Member Posts: 7 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi, everything is set up in Windows 10 build 15063.674 to put the computer to sleep when the power button is pressed, but when i press it nothing happens. The button itself works fine as it turns on the pc with no problems. Any way i can further troubleshoot this? Is it a known inssue (i suspect a Windows Update possibly broke ACPI behavior)

Answers

• Hi,
    Right click  battery icon, click Power Options, click choose "what the power buttons do", change settings, save settings and exit. HTH.

Hi, i already tried that several times (i also said that in the OP) but it doesn't work.
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,436 Trailblazer
    edited November 2017
    Hi,
    Have you tried a different Power plan? If you haven't,try switching to Balanced or Advanced or Vice versa. You could also try reinstalling the driver for "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control method battery" in Device manager.

I have already tried switching power plan, but nothing happened. Then i tried uninstalling the driver and rebooting, nothing again. (When i rebooted the driver was reinstalled by windows, of course)
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,436 Trailblazer
    edited November 2017
    Hi,
    You could try reinstalling Serial IO driver(version 30.100.1633.3) , download it from Acer support site:https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/support-product/7008?b=1
    Did that. Nothing changed.
  • Sorry, I have run out of ideas, you have to wait for someone else to chime in.
    I have discovered that Acer Power Button (software that comes preinstalled) interferes with the normal power button behavior. Long pressing the button triggers Acer's software, from which i could set up sleep on power button long press. Not quite what i wanted but i guess i'm fine with it.
  • yellowroad987
    yellowroad987 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Recently, I bought the SF315-51G, and I also have the same problem.
  • AeyBanerjee
    AeyBanerjee Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited March 2018
    I had the same problem. I have Acer Aspire 5-51G. The power doesn't work on the single tap. Set the power button option to sleep as shown by brummyfan2.
    Then, push and hold the power button for exactly 4 seconds and Voila! Acer has made this change in order to keep the customers from accidentally tapping the power button and putting the computer to sleep.
    Let me know if this works, and I hope it will.
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Can always create a shortcut that executes C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState  and put the button someplace handy like in the task bar. That will put the computer to sleep without chancing an abort.
  • Ster77
    Ster77 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Acre AspireR15 is not turning on at all.  The button to the left of the light bulb symbol is orange so there appears to be battery left.  What is the problem?
  • TonkaNL
    TonkaNL Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

I had the same problem. I have Acer Aspire 5-51G. The power doesn't work on the single tap. Set the power button option to sleep as shown by brummyfan2.
    Then, push and hold the power button for exactly 4 seconds and Voila! Acer has made this change in order to keep the customers from accidentally tapping the power button and putting the computer to sleep.
    Let me know if this works, and I hope it will.
    Thanks! It does shut down differently than the regular Win 10 shutdown. At least my Swift 1 does. The screen immediately turns black and no shutdown text with the swirly dots appear. That's why I was thrown off by the long push. It's similar to a hard shutdown. But the HD light keeps blinking and (as I found oud later) you hear the BT headphones disconnect) It also seems to turn on more quickly after shutting down via the 4-second button push. Oh well. It works. Thanks again.