Your connection is not private Attackers might be trying to steal your information from weather.com

Arizona_Paul
Arizona_Paul Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
I just bought an Acer 14" Chromebook, today. Within 30 minutes of buying it, I was using it in a Starbucks building. I figured the error message was due to using a public, unsecured network. However, the same has occurred on my house network. It only happens on some web sites, and I'm not sure how to fix this annoying error message. My buddy bought a Samsung Chromebook, a few months ago, and he told me that he's never experienced this, not even one time.  What should I do? Thank you for any help.

Your connection is not private

Attackers might be trying to steal your information from weather.com (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards).

NET::ERR_CERTIFICATE_TRANSPARENCY_REQUIRED

The server presented a certificate that was not publicly disclosed using the Certificate Transparency policy. This is a requirement for some certificates, to ensure that they are trustworthy and protect against attackers. Learn more.

Proceed to weather.com (unsafe)

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    i just tried www.weather.com and it's working without any warning.
    that messagge appears when you try to connect to website using HTTP and not HTTPS, so they are missing security certificates.

if you still have this error, do a power wash to reset your chromebook to factory, then check if any update is available and install it.
    https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/183084?hl=en
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    You will also see this type of error when the page is encrypted, but some of the content (usually pictures) is not. Since all the browser developers are moving to more 'in your face' notices when something isn't being served to your securely it's more noticeable now than it used to be.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.