Screen flickering at maximum brightness

Options
ep1
ep1 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi, I have noticed that my Acer Spin 5 produces screen flicker when it is at maximum brightness and the supplied power adapter is plugged in. In order for it to stop flickering, I have to adjust the brightness two notches lower than maximum. It does not flicker when the power adapter is unplugged and the screen is at maximum brightness. It also does not flicker at maximum brightness when I use a USB-C charger instead of the supplied charger. It has been a problem from the outset; it has not developed over time. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options
    Perform a battery reset following these instructions. If it doesn't help, try with updating the BIOS. If you have already updated the BIOS to latest version or if updating doesn't help, then you can contact Acer support.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• ep1

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks, but the issue remains after updating the BIOS, resetting the battery, updating graphics driver (the latter being Acer support suggestion). 
  • ven98
    Options
    Yes, if nothing of these fixed your issue that means you will have to contact Acer support.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• FabianK
    FabianK Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi, I have noticed the same issue with my device. Do you have any solution yet? What did Acer support tell you (besides updating the graphics driver)?
  • ep1

Tinkerer

Options
    FabianK said:
    Hi, I have noticed the same issue with my device. Do you have any solution yet? What did Acer support tell you (besides updating the graphics driver)?
    Hi Fabian, 

They simply said to update the driver using the Acer Web site, and if that didn't work to perform a factory reset. Both of these solutions did not work. Mine has been flickering from the moment I unpacked it brand new, so from factory condition. My only solution so far is to drop the brightness two notches, at which point the flickering stops, which is not ideal. 
  • ven98
    Options
    Request a repair, this is a hardware issue.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• bzajku
    bzajku Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited February 2018
    Options
    I have noticed the same issue with my device. It seems that every device have this problem, its just that users dont report it online.
    on spin 5 13" i5-8250 the problem sadly appears on every level of brightness. I have the newest bios, and factory reset is not the case just as battery reset.
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    edited February 2018
    Options

What is the output of the external power adapter (volts and amps or watts) ? It sounds like it is not powerful enough for your system. Max brightness requires max power.

I would use use BatteryInfoView from Nirsoft to see exactly what is happening.

• bzajku

Tinkerer

Options
    Multimeter shows 19.43V
    When not connected it drains: 0.02 A.

Screen brigthness: 100%
    Energy: ~20W 0.18 A

The problem is not constant. It randomly happens from time to time. BatteryInfoView doesn't show any problem:
    Stats with flickering:
    100% ~20W 0.18 A
    Description Value Value
    Battery Name AP15O5L
    Manufacture Name PANASONIC
    Serial Number 2791
    Manufacture Date
    Power State Charging, AC Power
    Current Capacity (in %) 94.6%
    Current Capacity Value 48 637 mWh
    Full Charged Capacity 51 409 mWh
    Designed Capacity 53 939 mWh
    Battery Health 95.3%
    Voltage 13 159 millivolts
    Charge/Discharge Rate 8 686 milliwatts
    Chemistry Lithium Ion
    Low Battery Capacity (1) 2 795 mWh
    Low Battery Capacity (2) 3 557 mWh
    Critical Bias
    Number of charge/discharge cycles 0
    Battery Temperature
    Remaining battery time for the current activity (Estimated)
    Full battery time for the current activity (Estimated)
    Remaining time for charging the battery (Estimated) 00:17:55
    Total  time for charging the battery (Estimated) 05:29:33

Stats with blender rendering (no flickering at this time as it is random)
    Screen brightness: 100%,  efficency maxed, 
    Energy: about ~35W , 0,30 A 
    so it seems power adapter can make it without problems.

and stats for blender:
    Description Value Value
    Battery Name AP15O5L
    Manufacture Name PANASONIC
    Serial Number 2791
    Manufacture Date
    Current Capacity (in %) 93.3%
    Current Capacity Value 47 990 mWh
    Battery Health 95.3%
    Voltage 13 026 millivolts
    Charge/Discharge Rate 11 019 milliwatts
    Chemistry Lithium Ion
    Low Battery Capacity (1) 2 795 mWh
    Low Battery Capacity (2) 3 557 mWh
    Critical Bias
    Number of charge/discharge cycles 0
    Battery Temperature
    Remaining battery time for the current activity (Estimated) 02:46:46
    Full battery time for the current activity (Estimated) 02:58:46
    Remaining time for charging the battery (Estimated)
    Total  time for charging the battery (Estimated)

Despite rendering the battery still charges at constant rate.
  • padgett
    Options

That charge/discharge rate looks very high my R11 with several apps open and U-Tube playing is running at -5,328 mw (discharge). Plugging in the charger shows charge rate 6,406mw, 17,559mv and a 9 hour battery life (97.8%). My adapter has an output of 19v and 2.15A (40W).

You are showing 1/3 the life, a much higher charge rate, and 13.026v input. What is the rating on your power adapter please ? (volts and amps or watts).

I suspect that low voltage may be causing the flickering at max brightness.

• bzajku

Tinkerer

Options
    My adapter is 19V 2.37A so it's 45W (it's original that came with laptop - not the usb-c one, but the standard plug)
    as i said, multimeter shows 19.43V on my adapter while not plugged.

More stats: On half battery i've got 0.36A 40W and random screen brightness spikes (not moving anything like cable or screen, switched to wireless keyboard). 
    On load (software installation) it doesn't exceed 42W (jumps 38 - 42 W)
    Current Capacity (in %) 64.1%
    Current Capacity Value 32 941 mWh
    Battery Health 95.3%
    Voltage 12 440 millivolts
    Charge/Discharge Rate 17 071 milliwatts

• padgett
    Options

Again I have a smaller R11 but you appear to be using nearly three times the power and your internal voltage is 5V lower even though both of our power supplies appear to be 19v and yours appears slightly larger (45 vs 40w). I suspect whatever is pulling the voltage down is the cause of your flickering.

Hopefully someone with a non-flickering Spin 5 can report since I do not have one.

• bzajku

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks for the reply. I know one guy with spin i5-72.. so the previous generation model. I will ask him for these measures and send post feedback soon if we find out what the problem has been.
  • allyNaziz
    allyNaziz Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    hi guys have you found the solutions? i have one that worked for me. so let me know
  • bzajku

Tinkerer

Options
    nope. the only solution i have is not to use it while charging or to use external monitor

• FabianK
    FabianK Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Options
    My solution was to buy a usb-c charger with 65 watts. No flickering anymore. Not the cheapest solution, but it works. Check it out. 
  • RalfMe
    RalfMe Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

Options
    I've also recognized that my display is flickering from time to time. In my case, it obviously relates to the power settings. When I've set power settings to "better performance" (just click on the battery symbol) AND when my A/C is plugged-in, then it flickers. Weird thing, so I can run without flickering on battery mode. Or I have to switch to "best performance" when plugged in. 

Not a huge issue to me, but a bit annoying. Would be happy, if there is any workaround or solution for this. 

Cheers
  • bzajku

Tinkerer

edited June 2018
    Options
    I've also noticed that my screen has this waterfall effect when i go back from light screen to desktop (i have some kind of default blue ocean).
    So the water looks like it's moving for about 3 seconds.. my first reaction was that it was something with my eyes.. also it looks like screen is charging to max value (maybe little color change also, so it goes to white). 
    This happens whatever settings i have - all screen brightness, econo mode on/off, night mode on/off - its all the same.
    Have you guys noticed that?

• EP_CLT
    EP_CLT Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hi, My new ACER Spin sp315-51 has the following issues
    1. Screen flickers at least once in an hour requiring a reboot. Screen flickering opens a lot of applications at random, and i am forced to reboot.
    2. On average every 2 hours i get a blue screen with BugCode NDIS Driver Error and the system reboots itself. 
    The machine is completely unreliable and cannot be used for any serious work.
  • bzajku

Tinkerer

Options
    EP_CLT, 
    Yes, can partially confirm second issue. After returning from sleep mode there are random NDIS bluescreen or wi-fi stops working until reboot. That's really annoying. 
    Try disabling wifi and see if that blue screen stops. 
    As for the first issue - Can it be you have your cellphone near the screen?

Funfact: Did you know that when you bring something metal 2cm to the right of touchpad the screen goes black ? Works for mouse and keyboard..