Spin 5 (SP513-52n) windows hello missing

llamaman
llamaman Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hi I purchased this yesterday, upgraded to win 10 ed, got the feature update that just came out and it sayd my device isn't compatible with Windows Hello.
I've reinstalled drivers from ACER,
I've disabled fast start-up
I've reinstalled the fingerprint reader.

Is this a bug from the feature update or am I missing something?

Answers

• llamaman
    llamaman Member Posts: 2 New User
    I reset the computer before the feature update (but still with windows 10 Ed) and Windows Hello is back.  Is there a workaround for the feature update?
  • ep1
    ep1 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

I've noticed the fingerprint reader on my Spin 5 does not work with Windows Hello at all either. I conducted the Windows 10 updates immediately after purchase, which means I never got to use it with Windows Hello. I've tried all the usual troubleshooting (uninstall/reinstall/stop/start/downloaded drivers from Acer site) and the stuff mentioned here (fast start-up etc), but it still isn't recognised by Hello. 
  • jmcn72
    jmcn72 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have this problem too.  Lost fingerprint login and saying incompatible with Windows Hello after update.
  • turtlestarter
    turtlestarter Member Posts: 1 New User
    Same problem here, really bugs me. Did like to use the fingerprint reader, and was eager to try out Windows Hello... Hopefully there is someone working on this problem as we speak...
  • delold
    delold Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Looking forward for a fingerprint driver update for Windows 10 Fall Creators (16299.64)
  • ep1
    ep1 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Hi guys!
    Had the same problem. Just open the Device manager, open the Elan WBF Fingerprint Sensor under the Biometric devices category (I'm swedish, here it's called that anyway...). Go to the Drivers tab and update the driver by letting Windows search for an update online. It will find one - and when it's done the fingerprint reader will work again!

Hi Skagerstrom, 

This worked. Windows Hello sees it now. Thank you! 
  • JosephNorton
    JosephNorton Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hi guys!
    Had the same problem. Just open the Device manager, open the Elan WBF Fingerprint Sensor under the Biometric devices category (I'm swedish, here it's called that anyway...). Go to the Drivers tab and update the driver by letting Windows search for an update online. It will find one - and when it's done the fingerprint reader will work agI just got a new Spin 5
  • JosephNorton
    JosephNorton Member Posts: 2 New User
    I got a new Acer Spin 5 and I had this problem where the fingerprint reader did not work. I searched all around and tried several things without success until I found this response by Skagerstrom. This solution worked in just a few clicks! :) Thanks Skagerstrom
  • WishKnew
    WishKnew Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hi guys!
    Had the same problem. Just open the Device manager, open the Elan WBF Fingerprint Sensor under the Biometric devices category (I'm swedish, here it's called that anyway...). Go to the Drivers tab and update the driver by letting Windows search for an update online. It will find one - and when it's done the fingerprint reader will work again!
    Me too. Thx!