Any Helios 300 15" owners without backlight bleed? / Anyone upgrade the panel?

taxiway
taxiway Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Just curious how many of you have a panel without much backlight bleed.

I have bleeding on all 4 corners and a couple spots on the top and bottom. I'm debating trying to get a replacement from Amazon...though I'm not sure they would consider this an issue.

It's fairly distracting when watching movies and playing dark games.

I am also considering just replacing the panel. Has anyone tried it?

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    I have backlight bleeding, but it is just on the bottom right corner and a little bit on the top right(it is hard to spot). Light bleed from all 4 corners plus some more around the screen is not acceptable and  amazon should agree on replacing/refunding your unit.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• taxiway

Tinkerer

Thanks for the response. I'm probably going to have it replaced.

Is a near perfect screen a reasonable expectation? It seems like bleed is a universal IPS problem.
  • ven98
    It is hard and you have to be very lucky to get a near perfect or perfect IPS without any bleeding. It is considered 'normal' if you can see it only when the background is completely black. If it is noticable during gaming/watching movie then it is not normal.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• Screen bleed should only be visible when the back light is on and the pixels themselves are still off. If it is otherwise, definitely need to have it replaced since the screen is not working properly.

Skelo
    Please quote me so I get a notification of your reply!
    If I helped you, like my post and/or select my post as 'Solved'.
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

Product: Acer Predator Helios 300
    Model: G3-571
    "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."
    - Dr. Seuss
  • ven98
    Test to see how to edit messages.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Test as well. Sorry :D
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

- Dr. Seuss
  • taxiway

Tinkerer

I just put in the request for a replacement on Amazon. Hopefully it will be better. I would be ok with a little bit of bleeding but there is one spot that is fairly large and the bleed nearly reaches the middle of the screen.

Quick question. I added a HDD and only use it to store games, pics. WIll it be a clean switch do I have to do anything before swapping it into the replacement?

I appreciate all the help.
  • ven98
    No, you don't need to do anything.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• You won't need to do anything but you will need to reinstall the games onto the new laptop. 

Skelo

- Dr. Seuss
  • zut72
    zut72 Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

I recieved my Helios 300 PH317-51-78SZ (17") today and was shocked to see how much backlight bleeding the monitor has :'(, especially in the upper right corner (also some minor bleeding at both bottom corners). I also found the screen VERY dim and yellowish.....
    I don't think it is acceptable, maybe 'cause i was coming from my dell precision m6600 with an lcd pannel, but i wasn't expecting this.
    https://imgur.com/a/b90Zz

Should i ask for assistance?
  • taxiway

Tinkerer

Looks pretty bad to me. You can clearly see it even when you have your desktop background.

Not sure if the 17" is the same but in doing my research on the 15", it is known for having a dim screen.
  • zut72

Tinkerer

I have contacted Acer Italy this mourning, and they will pick-up the laptop tomorrow afternoon via dhl for lab repair.....the said process will tack 5 working days + transport
  • zut72

Tinkerer

UPDATE
    They picked up the laptop the 10th of novembre and after 1 week no response. So i contacted Acer Italy via chat, and they immediatly contacted me back via phone. Tried to talk me into "backlight bleeding is normal in IPS screens, bla bla bla" but i responded that the amount on my screen was not acceptable so i requested a replacement that they will give me, but no warranty that it'll have less bleeding that mine....
  • zut72

Tinkerer

UPDATE:
    zut72 said:
    UPDATE
    They picked up the laptop the 10th of novembre and after 1 week no response. So i contacted Acer Italy via chat, and they immediatly contacted me back via phone. Tried to talk me into "backlight bleeding is normal in IPS screens, bla bla bla" but i responded that the amount on my screen was not acceptable so i requested a replacement that they will give me, but no warranty that it'll have less bleeding than mine....
    UPDATE:
    So AT LAST after almost a month, i got my laptop back a few hours ago.
    The monitor panel has been changed (i didn't check what model was mounted originally before sending in), it's a Chi Mei CMN1738.
    Pretty cheap panel, but i must say that the black's are now PITCH BLACK, almost no backlight bleeding noticeable at all, and it also seems a tad brighter.

They mounted the missing caddy bracket and cable in the extra HDD slot for an extra €15, so i'm ready to test this beast.

• Saxoman
    Saxoman Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    I have bleeding all over my screen...
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    There's foam in the back of the screen panel that pushes the monitor into the bezel. The gaps between the screen and the bezel is what causes backlight bleed. 
    You can try loosening the screws holding the panel in place to let the foam push the monitor more. 
    There's a video about it. 

https://youtu.be/HoO9q_svwz0

- Hotel Hero
  • Pandapao
    Pandapao Member Posts: 5 New User
    Mine has this
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder

Pandapao theres no need to keep reviving old dead threads (as you have been doing to some already) just keep it to the thread you opened please because this will only confuse everyone who might be trying to help

Thanks

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/