Mainboard replacement, windows license and clean install

GalenMyra
GalenMyra Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
Hi,

I have a 'Predator G3 - 605' and have 3 questions regarding repair/upgrade and windows license:

1) The PCIE slot on the mainboard have stoped working. Can i order a new mainboard through 'Acer Self Service'?

2) The PC comes with Windows 8.1 but I can't find any Windows license on any sticker on the PC, is the license embedded in the UEFI BIOS? And if so, will a new mainboard have a license or do I need to somehow transfer my windows license to a the new mainboard?

3) If I would like to upgrade my PC with an SSD and/or make a clean install, can I use "Windows 10 Media Creation Tool" to create an installation media that will work with the license I have?

Best Answers

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,077 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Hi,
    1. You need to contact the local Acer Support centre regarding the availability of motherboard:http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/
    2. Activation key is embedded in BIOS, you may need a new licence key when you change the MB. It's better to check with Microsoft Help desk:https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/contactus/
    https://www.howtogeek.com/261053/when-can-you-move-a-windows-license-to-a-new-pc/
    3.Yes, you can use WMC Tool for clean install.
    HTH.

• GalenMyra
    Hi,
    Thanks for answer about the mainboard.

However, the links you posted about the windows license didnt seem to be related exactly to my case. I have bought the license as an OEM license from acer so acer needs to provide the support and tools needed for moving the license to a new mainbord, if that is possible. And that is probably also what microsfot will tell me.
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,077 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    GalenMyra said:
    Hi,
    Thanks for answer about the mainboard.

However, the links you posted about the windows license didnt seem to be related exactly to my case. I have bought the license as an OEM license from acer so acer needs to provide the support and tools needed for moving the license to a new mainbord, if that is possible. And that is probably also what microsfot will tell me.

Hi,
    No problem, Windows licence terms are a bit confusing, yes, if you send the PC to Acer Service for a new MB, they will handle the OS licence but if you replace the MB with another MB, Microsoft may think it's a different build and may request you to buy a new licence as OEM licence is tied to the original PC. You may not even needed a new licence if you contact Microsoft and explain the reason for change of MB.
  • GalenMyra
    Well, as you say, an manufacturer can repair a PC by replacing the mainboard and transfer the license to a new mainborad (or actually get a new license for the replacement mainboard). I know this because I've worked as a PC technician for other brands in the past. And since Acer has a 'Self repair service'-option, I shoould be able to repair the PC just like an Acer technician would, without losing my windows license, right?

I see someone movied this thread to "Preadator Laptops", this however is a desktop PC.