Predator 17 G9-793 freezing when NOT playing games.

Options
SASnake
SASnake Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
This sounds like an odd one, but maybe its common. I recently purchased the Predator 17 G9-793 and keep running into a problem where it locks up constantly, however this only happens when I'm NOT playing games. I have done a fresh reinstall of Windows 10, I have updated all my drivers, tried just about every "crash fix" associated with power settings etc etc. When I just leave my computer on the desktop, it freezes. When I'm streaming a video on youtube or whatever, it freezes with the sound looping the last 0.5 seconds over and over. There's no black screen, it just freezes the image, the lights stay on on the keyboard, but it dosen't respond, even if I press the touchpad disable button, the green light on it stays on. Any suggestions?

Best Answer

• SASnake
    Answer ✓
    Options
    ....turns out the only thing I forgot to update seems to have fixed it. My BIOS.

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options
    Try to uninstall geforce experience.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• SASnake
    Options
    > @ven98 said:
    > Try to uninstall geforce experience.

Tried as you suggested, still crashes. I can't quite pin down what causes it. I'm currently trying things plugged into the USBs.
  • SASnake
    Answer ✓
    Options
    ....turns out the only thing I forgot to update seems to have fixed it. My BIOS.
  • ryan1312
    ryan1312 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    I am also having the same issue, I have return the laptop and got a new one and this one has the same issue
  • SASnake
    Options
    ryan1312 said:
    I am also having the same issue, I have return the laptop and got a new one and this one has the same issue
    Try updating your BIOS?
  • TNT2Gamer
    TNT2Gamer Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Options
    I think I may have done a few things over the last couple of nights that may have helped.  I made sure I had the latest BIOS, graphics driver, sound driver, WiFi driver, Ethernet driver, and Bluetooth driver.  I also went into Intel Rapid Storage Technology and disabled Link Power Management and Write-Cache Buffer Flushing.  I even increased the size of my virtual memory to 24 GB, which is 1.5X my physical RAM.  So far I have not had any more hiccups.  **keeping fingers crossed**
  • StanleyKrt
    StanleyKrt Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    TNT2Games
    Where did you get the latest drivers? On Acer official site or did you google it? or use other program?
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Options
    TNT2Gamer said:
    I think I may have done a few things over the last couple of nights that may have helped.  I made sure I had the latest BIOS, graphics driver, sound driver, WiFi driver, Ethernet driver, and Bluetooth driver.  I also went into Intel Rapid Storage Technology and disabled Link Power Management and Write-Cache Buffer Flushing.  I even increased the size of my virtual memory to 24 GB, which is 1.5X my physical RAM.  So far I have not had any more hiccups.  **keeping fingers crossed**
    Increasing to 24 GB isn't really that helpful, outside of keeping disk space used... unless you were running some sort of server. The 16 GB is virtually enough for most applications, and minimal 1-2 GB for virtual memory should be enough.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045