Truly shocked after repaste

Options
ihateclowns
ihateclowns Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
So after getting my temps down from 90+ to 70+ after undervolt I decided to bite the bullet and repaste cpu and gpu. (i7 7700hq 1060 6gb). Before I did I ran intel xtu stress test to see max temp and it was running at 75 degrees and max of 82 degrees. Now after the repaste under stress test its hitting 50-55 degrees and a max that it hit once of 59 and while idle its at 27 degrees. That's insane. So after both undervolt and repaste that's over 40 degrees the difference. WTF, truly shocked. Funny thing is, there was NO thermal paste on the cpu die, it was just all over the place around it. Now the fans don't even come on under stress test.

Answers

• iamphoenix
    iamphoenix Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Options
    Mine are at high 60s low 70s with max fan and laptop cooler. Any opinion how much repaste will help?
     I have a pred 15 G9 593 77WF

ALSO 

Did you use thermal pads for other heat sinks or just pasted the easy cpu gpu area.

I have pretty much near top notch paste bit don't know if I should use the diamond one or the silver m4 or whatever it's called.

Did you do enough research where you can post the best tutorial video out there as there are many. 

And also I wonder ... I mean if I'm going to do it right I'd need liquid metal paste and pads ordered online for best heat xfer...

(I use my laptop not for gaming fuxk that no offense but it's a life killing addiction like heroin.. stealing even an hour a day is a lot when your life is short) 

I was addicted to WR android game and had basically addictive urges that would prevent me from functioning unless I played it before doing work. 

How did I escape it ? Oh boy I don't know if I should say because people are stupid and can hurt themselves but DCK which is an RC. Just sliced depression clean out and I could care less about rhat stupid game rhat was running my life work and exacerbating mu carple tunnel.

I use the laprop for video editing, stock market and Bitcoin technical analysis which is very resource intensive and ofcourse mining bitcoin which is why I need the heat transfer and although at 70° that's good but lower wI'll mean longer life of the laptop less elec use and higher hashrate.

BIG TANGENT but I needed to vent as I feel for people who get stuck playing video games and it rarely gets discussed how addictive they are for some vulnerable people my brother too who I have to talk to the back of his head to say anything to.. and I don't even know if he hears me either with his headset on.

Ty for reading and hopefully responding with useful information regarding the laptop lol. Bed time for me way too tired.
  • ihateclowns

Tinkerer

Options
    Well, it was my first time doing a repaste and I was scared of taking it apart because the last 2 laptops I took apart ended up loosing wifi connection and both times the keyboard stopped working because of poxy ribbon cable connector snapping. But the fact that this thing was running at 70 degrees while gaming annoyed the ***** out of me. So I looked up loads of videos on youtube but found only 1 video on this machine but it was detailed enough so thought fek it ill do it. I ordered cooler master nano particle paste and just jumped in when it arrived. I just left the stock thermal pads as they were and cleaned of the gunk around the cpu and gpu die, none of whitch was actually on the cpu lol. Then I put on a pea sized amount on both dies and put a tiny bit on the heat sinks but spread it a bit. I didn't want to use the metal paste as I hear its conductive and if I messed up I could fry the chips(first time and all). That was that. Put it back together and I just couldn't believe the temps I am getting. Gpu was running at 65 playing gta5 in ultra and everything maxed out, now its not going over 60 usually sits at 55, but the gpu was allways ok anyway, it was the cpu that was the problem. The cpu playing gta5 on ultra with everything maxed out was hitting 75 after undervolting now its only hitting 65 max and the fans don't even bother coming on. The end result is so good I thought I must have ***** it up some how. Just cant believe big companys like acer or alienware ship out products in that state when someone like me who never even repasted a computer before can get temps down over 40 degrees with repaste and undervolt. As for gaming I understand where you stand, I wasted 5 years of my life playing world of Warcraft sometimes 8 hours a day and any time I had not playing it I was thinking about playing it whitch is why I only play single player games now that require little to no grinding and that have an end, like gta5.
    As for bitcoin, I got into bitcoin when it was 2 euro and 50 cents about 10 years ago and a load of ethereum about 2 years ago when it was 10 euro and made a lot of money but I never mined it I just bought bitcoin of people by meeting them because there was no proper exchanges back then, now I'm investing in other alts like iota and others. I don't think theres any profit in bitcoin mining on a pc anymore unless you go for one of the farms online. Anyways all I can say is go for it for the repaste you wont be disappointed in the results.
  • Robitzik
    Robitzik Member Posts: 68 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    Yes, truly shocked indeed. Repasted my GX-792 with 7820HK several times with the highest quality thermal compounds from different brands but still, my CPU stays 98°C. Unbelievable and unacceptable. GPU temps on the other side are just beautiful, never got over 70°C
  • iamphoenix
    iamphoenix Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Options
    I don't think theres any profit in bitcoin mining on a pc anymore unless you go for one of the farms online. try nicehash.com with their beta legacy miner. u may break even or better. ive been using an adapter for elec in my car since im on the road most of the day so save on elec that way.

• mateoo
    mateoo Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Options
    I have a G5-793-76fm laptop and it also has 7700HQ with gtx 1060. My problem is exactly the same, so I sent it back to Acer, but if the thermal paste is the reason of overheating, they will use the same thermal paste during repairing. But if that happens, I have to repaste it myself. Is it hard to tear it down? I am afraid of voiding the warranty and breaking any part of the laptop.
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options
    Repasting itself voids warranty even if you don't damage anything during the process. Just opening up the laptop won't void the warranty, so you can open it and if there are any void stickers on the screws holding the heatsink, then removing the screws will result in voided warranty.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• ihateclowns

Tinkerer

Options
    @  Mateoo

Nah m8 its not hard but I was really scared doin it as I had never done it before, the hardest part was getting the bottom plastic case off, the bottom panel just didn't want to budge at the area at vents at the back. So yea its scary. I didn't see any stickers on screws to void warranty or anything like that but that's not to say yours wont. But if acer return it to you with high temps again then I would say just go for it, the results for me are amazing. Good luck.

• Mordecai253
    Mordecai253 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    It is really interesting that no big tech manufacturer seems to do a good job with thermal compound application. My theory is that much the expensive hardware in a gaming laptop if produced in an automated process. Assembly may mostly be done by a human and that includes paste application. I'm willing to bet that the humans putting our machines together get paid jack-*****. That would explain the crooked stickers and the gloppy thermal paste application. (I recently re-pasted an MSI 1080ti DUKE and dropped 10c on load easily). Liquid metal application under the current labor model isn't practical. What is remarkable is that most modern gaming hardware operates on a razors edge with thermals, thermals are often a major limiting factor in small-form factor / laptop performance, and yet, despite the many hundreds of dollars these components sell for, cost-cutting on labor gimps the products before they are even boxed limiting performance substantially. 

Considering all this, it's kind of surprising that manufacturers don't custom apply LM or good thermal paste to review models at the very least. Given my experience with repasting recently, it's something I plan to do routinely on current and future hardware. 
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited July 2019
    Options
    It is really interesting that no big tech manufacturer seems to do a good job with thermal compound application. My theory is that much the expensive hardware in a gaming laptop if produced in an automated process. Assembly may mostly be done by a human and that includes paste application. I'm willing to bet that the humans putting our machines together get paid jack-*****. That would explain the crooked stickers and the gloppy thermal paste application. (I recently re-pasted an MSI 1080ti DUKE and dropped 10c on load easily). Liquid metal application under the current labor model isn't practical. What is remarkable is that most modern gaming hardware operates on a razors edge with thermals, thermals are often a major limiting factor in small-form factor / laptop performance, and yet, despite the many hundreds of dollars these components sell for, cost-cutting on labor gimps the products before they are even boxed limiting performance substantially. 

Considering all this, it's kind of surprising that manufacturers don't custom apply LM or good thermal paste to review models at the very least. Given my experience with repasting recently, it's something I plan to do routinely on current and future hardware. 
    Mordecai253 We all know that stock paste used its the cheapest of all for all manufacturers and that most of the times its not even applied properly mine out of the box was rock solid i repasted the first week i got it with kryonaut and dropped down 25+ also optimized and undervolted and upgraded at the same time never had any issue since almost 17 months now always on AC 24/7 i wouldnt recommend liquid metal for laptops unless you are keeping it fixed and not moving it much and not for beginners either you might fry the mobo if not properly isolated :p

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/