Laptop gets stuck in sleep mode and won't wake; blank screen, ( Acer v15 Nitro (vn7-592g-71zl)

Options
dnshost
dnshost Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Laptop is the Acer v15 Nitro (vn7-592g-71zl) with a Samsung 960 Pro NVMe M.2 drive. It's running all of the latest firmware (Bios, thunderbolt, etc). I am running an external monitor (does not matter if HDMI or DP, same results) for a desktop configuration with the laptop lid closed and pushed off to the side.

When the laptop goes to sleep (automatically, balanced mode, 30 minutes on AC power), I'll return a while later and move my Logitech m570 wireless mouse (unifying receiver in the USB 2.0 port) to wake the computer. I see the orange standby light change to blue so I know the laptop is resuming, but my backlit USB keyboard does not power back on. It is at this point that the entire system is frozen with a black screen.

The only way to recover from this is to open the laptop and long-press the power button. Here's where I believe the key to discovering what is going wrong occurs and leads me to believe that this is a bios issue with the NVMe support of the M.2 slot. The first time I power the laptop back on, a blue prompt appears something to the effect that no bootable device was found. This occurs every time I hard power-off the device due to this resume from sleep issue. Long-pressing the power button again to turn the laptop off and powering it back on a second time resumes normal operations.

Previously, I had hibernation and hybrid sleep disabled. I've since turned them back on so that the data I had on screen is preserved through all of this.

It is important to note that if I go into Device Manager and adjust the Power Management settings to disallow the mouse to wake the computer, this problem does not seem to happen, at least as often. My laptop sits inside a bracket mounted to the wall with physical security installed -- it is rather bothersome to have to remove it to open the lid every time this occurs. My workaround has been to disable all input devices from being able to wake the computer from sleep, plugging in an Ethernet cable and using a Wake on LAN app on my phone to wake my laptop -- this seems to work 95% of the time.

I have a standard SATA3 Samsung 850 EVO SSD being delivered today that I'll test with, as I suspect the issue resides with the M.2 slot itself. I've found cases where others have experienced similar issues with their M.2 slots populated with an NVMe device (Dell in this case) which was resolved by a Bios update.

Is this a documented/known issue? Any suggestions?

Answers

• dnshost
    dnshost Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    All drivers have been current. The only fix that I've found is to trip the magnetic lid switch in the lower right-hand corner of the display panel using a thin piece of metal. I can then configure the external monitor to be the only one in use, which in turn disables the primary display. This method works almost always to facilitate resuming from sleep with an external monitor, mouse, and keyboard. The only time this occasionally fails is when Microsoft pushes a forced update that requires a restart.

This however, does not address the frozen bootloader screen when it hits the NVME M.2 drive, but I can live with that since it happens so infrequently.
  • rogerwa123
    rogerwa123 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I have a Acer Spin 5 with the same issue.  I concur with the previous comment.  I downloaded the VGA driver from ACER that was several versions back and it seems to have corrected the problem.  I also made a change in advance power settings to have minimum CPU on battery to 5%.  It was previously 0%.  When I downgraded the driver, it was working when plugged in but I still had a problem on Battery.  I went looking for differences in the power profile and came upon this one.  Not totally sure I have licked it but I seem to be making progress.
  • SteveMagruder
    SteveMagruder Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Options
    Mikful said:
    Hi everyone. I was having this frustrating problem on my Acer Aspire E14 and may have finally found a solution, which is shown in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBtSkJePt0s

Waking from sleep now seems to work for both plugged-in and battery power for me. I hope it does for you too.

I discovered the video you link to before finding this thread and I tried it out on my Nitro 5 (2019).  The solution seemed to work for a day or two, then it went back to having the same problem.  I normally use my laptop as a desktop with the lid down.  After it's been asleep for some time (or I do a hard sleep from Start), I can't wake it with the keyboard or mouse.  I have to actually lift the lid somewhat to wake it up.
  • SteveMagruder

Tinkerer

Options
    Also note I updated to the newest BIOS and VGA driver.  Didn't help.
  • Wedford
    Wedford Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    THANK YOU MIKFUL! i have an Acer Aspire E5 that I bought over 4 months ago. I immediately experienced the sleep/power problem but wasn't concerned by it as I was sure it was an easy fix.  In the months since I've tweaked/customized my computer and was happy with it although the sleep/power problem persisted.  It increasingly became irritating and i tried MANY methods to fix it including updating the video drivers, the Bioa. Windows 10. ETC ETC ETC.  I even tried uninstalling programs on the chance they might have some sort of effect on the matter.  NOTHING WORKED!  I'd spent many hours combing and trying different things and was almost resigned to giving up.  Then I stumbled upon your post and although I hadn't seen the method in the video ANYWHERE ELSE i gave it a halfhearted try not expecting it to work.
    BOY WAS I WRONG! THANKS AGAIN!
    Here is a link to the video again - TRY IT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBtSkJePt0s

• Mikful
    Mikful Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    Well, unfortunately the video I linked to still hasn't solved the problem. My laptop goes to sleep correctly if i minimise all the program
     windows, but then occasionally seems to wake from sleep during longer periods (such as overnight) and then become frozen again. I have sleep set to off in my power settings, so it must freeze when it wakes, as it can't sleep after a time delay.

Overall - very, very annoying that Acer can't seem to provide a solution for this problem. I will send it for a service and see if that fixes anything.

• NickRoma
    NickRoma Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I feel like I tried all of the advice on here to no avail. Here is something that worked for me which was a simple fix. 

Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Power Options>Change advanced power settings>Power buttons and lid>Lid close action>Choose Do nothing

Hope that helps!
  • SteveMagruder

Tinkerer

Options
    Note that I've since figured out how to get this to work but only if the mouse/keyboard is directly connected to the laptop.  Enabling "Wake on USB while lid closed" in the BIOS did the trick. 
    However, this doesn't work when the mouse/keyboard are connected through a USB hub.  I've started a separate topic to address that: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/611453/wake-on-usb-while-lid-closed-works-with-directly-connected-mouse-keyboard-but-not-if-thru-usb-hub#latest
  • SteveMagruder

Tinkerer

Options
    Note that I've since figured out how to get this to work but only if the mouse/keyboard is directly connected to the laptop.  Enabling "Wake on USB while lid closed" in the BIOS did the trick. 
    However, this doesn't work when the mouse/keyboard are connected through a USB hub.  I've started a separate topic to address that: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/611453/wake-on-usb-while-lid-closed-works-with-directly-connected-mouse-keyboard-but-not-if-thru-usb-hub#latest
  • Babar1234
    Babar1234 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Acer Aspire E1-317 sleep mode problem and other huge problems too
    These isntructions are for old laptops.
    check Power adapter about right voltage and amps
    If power is connected there have to be at least one led on. If not the adapter is broken.
    check the cmos battery CR2032 3V Some Acer laptops do not boot if this battery is empty
    reset the battery Some acer laptops have tiny hole for reseting the battery
    Make sure that processor do not over heat.
    Buy good quality thermal paste for processor's heat sink this is really important
    Clean processor's fan It maybe put together with black tape.
    tighten all the screws at inside and laptop bottom
    Reinstall Windows
    Update Bios
    Make sure you have latest drivers installed

Clean Up the WinSxS Folder use command prompt
    Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
    and
    Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase
    and
    Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /SPSuperseded

Power management put everything to defaults because these settings can be corrupt.
    then  put all sleep modes off
    Power buttons
    change all to do nothing
    there is fast starup and sleep mode and Hibernate turn them off.
    Command prompt type
    powercfg.exe /hibernate off
    Make sure that there is not hiberfil.sys file in your harddrive. If it is there and
    it's size is large try to remove it because it can be corrupt

Regedit
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\238C9FA8-0AAD-41ED-83F4-97BE242C8F20\7bc4a2f9-d8fc-4469-b07b-33eb785aaca0
    Double click on Attributes
    Enter number 2

Turn bluetooth off

make good virusscan and rootkit scan and when laptop is booting.