Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Laptop gets stuck in sleep mode and won't wake; blank screen, ( Acer v15 Nitro (vn7-592g-71zl)

dnshostdnshost Posts: 9Member

Tinkerer

Laptop is the Acer v15 Nitro (vn7-592g-71zl) with a Samsung 960 Pro NVMe M.2 drive. It's running all of the latest firmware (Bios, thunderbolt, etc). I am running an external monitor (does not matter if HDMI or DP, same results) for a desktop configuration with the laptop lid closed and pushed off to the side.

When the laptop goes to sleep (automatically, balanced mode, 30 minutes on AC power), I'll return a while later and move my Logitech m570 wireless mouse (unifying receiver in the USB 2.0 port) to wake the computer. I see the orange standby light change to blue so I know the laptop is resuming, but my backlit USB keyboard does not power back on. It is at this point that the entire system is frozen with a black screen.

The only way to recover from this is to open the laptop and long-press the power button. Here's where I believe the key to discovering what is going wrong occurs and leads me to believe that this is a bios issue with the NVMe support of the M.2 slot. The first time I power the laptop back on, a blue prompt appears something to the effect that no bootable device was found. This occurs every time I hard power-off the device due to this resume from sleep issue. Long-pressing the power button again to turn the laptop off and powering it back on a second time resumes normal operations.

Previously, I had hibernation and hybrid sleep disabled. I've since turned them back on so that the data I had on screen is preserved through all of this.

It is important to note that if I go into Device Manager and adjust the Power Management settings to disallow the mouse to wake the computer, this problem does not seem to happen, at least as often. My laptop sits inside a bracket mounted to the wall with physical security installed -- it is rather bothersome to have to remove it to open the lid every time this occurs. My workaround has been to disable all input devices from being able to wake the computer from sleep, plugging in an Ethernet cable and using a Wake on LAN app on my phone to wake my laptop -- this seems to work 95% of the time.

I have a standard SATA3 Samsung 850 EVO SSD being delivered today that I'll test with, as I suspect the issue resides with the M.2 slot itself. I've found cases where others have experienced similar issues with their M.2 slots populated with an NVMe device (Dell in this case) which was resolved by a Bios update.

Is this a documented/known issue? Any suggestions?

FAQ & Answers

• brummyfan2brummyfan2 Posts: 12,869ACE Trailblazer
    edited November 2017
    Hi,
    Try reinstalling "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant system" driver in Device manager under System devices.
    Please "Yes" for "Did this answer the question", if I resolve the problem.
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/22060540
  • dnshostdnshost Posts: 9Member

Tinkerer

Minor correction, it was a Samsung 950 Pro M.2 NVMe, not 960 -- insignificant in this case.

I removed the M.2 storage today and installed a 2.5" Samsung EVO 850 SSD via SATA3 port and installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 (1709 via media creation tool/USB). The same problem is occurring which means this is not an issue specific to the M.2 drive or controller as I had thought.

@brummyfan2 -- I checked on the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant system drivers (and all other ACPI entries) as you suggested, all drivers are current.

I changed monitors from an ASUS 24" WQHD (PA-248Q 1920x1200) to LG 34" ultrawide (34UM60 2560x1080), and connectivity methods (HDMI and USB-C to Displayport) with the same results. Seems like it may just be related to waking from sleep (perhaps only when the lid is closed?) with a peripheral (when an external monitor is connected?)

Never experienced this issue with any other laptop before.

On a side note, although benchmarks say otherwise, I notice no real-world difference between the SATA3 connection vs the NVMe M.2.
    edited November 2017
    Hi,
    If you haven't tried disabling Aggressive Link power Management, give it a shot, yes, you are right about NVMe SSD, it's only beneficial when you transfer larger files/folders.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/72971-add-ahci-link-power-management-power-options-windows-10-a.html
  • EilatAEilatA Posts: 1Member New User
    It is very disappointing to have a problem with a practically new laptop... Any advise for the ACER S13 not waking up after going to sleep?
  • EilatA said:
    It is very disappointing to have a problem with a practically new laptop... Any advise for the ACER S13 not waking up after going to sleep?
    Hi,
    Go to the tutorial in the link below, download "Add AHCI Link Power management", right click the downloaded file and click "Merge", then go to Advanced Power Options(as shown in the tutorial), select "HIPM+DIPM" for Plugged in with the drop down arrow. HTH.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/72971-add-ahci-link-power-management-power-options-windows-10-a.html

Tinkerer

Was able to enable the registry update to have the dropdown options available for AHCI Link Power Management. Tried HIPM+DIPM as suggested but with no resolution. The laptop seems to power on, but still hangs at a blank screen (when an external monitor is connected and the laptop screen/lid is closed). I exhausted all of the available AHCI link PM settings with similar results.
    edited November 2017
    Hi,
    If that doesn't work, you can remove the registry entry, use the same tutorial, are you using Samsung NVMe controller? If not, download it from Samsung support site and install, also you could also try a Repair install without loosing any of your settings and installed programs, you need to download iso of your OS version, create a bootable disk, it's all in this tutorial, if you haven't tried, give it a shot:https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

Tinkerer

I believe I resolved at least half of the problem by disabling fast startup within the power settings. This (perhaps paired with the HIPM+DIPM power options @brummyfan2 linked to previously) eliminates the NVMe from getting stuck on the blue screen prompt (saying there are no boot devices) during a reboot when I have to force a shutdown.

The only problem that remains now is the screen not waking up (albeit the laptop screen, or external monitor) when resuming from sleep with the lid closed. With my Logitech Unifying Adapter plugged into the black USB 2.0 port, it is able to (briefly) wake the computer from sleep (as indicated by the flashing orange suspend light turning blue). It remains blue and the laptop keyboard backlighting illuminates, but the screen is black. Furthermore, my external USB keyboard does not receive power, which leads me to believe the system is still getting stuck somewhere and not fully booting up.

• JordanBJordanB Posts: 3,404ACE Pathfinder
    edited November 2017
    @dnshost
    When you look at Windows Disk Management, is your EFI partition on your new SSD or is it on your old secondary drive?  Hopefully it's on your new SSD.  Often times when people install Windows, they don't disconnect their other drive and the Windows installer will detect and use the EFI partition on their old secondary drive (which is not good).
    I'm not an Acer employee.

Tinkerer

@JordanB -- Fresh install (as of this morning) of Windows 10 x64 on the single Samsung 950 Pro NVMe. No secondary drive.
    Ok thanks.  Just wanted to rule that out.  I'm surprised there hasn't been more reports of the problem on the forum.  Anyway, I'm out of ideas.  Hopefully Brummyfan2 can help you figure it out.

Tinkerer

It seems that in Bios v1.12, when "Resume on Lid Open" is disabled, the blue boot failure screen appears. When enabled, I cannot get a peripheral to wake the system, at least not with the lid open.
    @dnshost

I assume you have the latest version of Samsung Magician and the firmware on SSD is latest.  Try making sure that Samsung Magician is not running in the background.  And then try with samsung magician running in the background and see if it makes any difference.  You could also try the samsung forum too.

Tinkerer

edited November 2017
    @JordanB -- indeed, it does have the latest firmware. Have always maintained Magician running in background.

With the primary issue here that I cannot resume the laptop from sleep with the lid closed, I am at a point where I am fairly confident this is an issue on Acer's end with Bios support. I am able to replicate the issues using a SATA3 drive. Having the "resume on lid open" option disabled in Bios seemed to be causing the issue.

The real question is, how does one get in touch with Acer about them pushing a fix to Bios update?
    edited November 2017
    dnshost said:
    @JordanB -- indeed, it does have the latest firmware. Have always maintained Magician running in background.

With the primary issue here that I cannot resume the laptop from sleep with the lid closed, I am at a point where I am fairly confident this is an issue on Acer's end with Bios support. I am able to replicate the issues using a SATA3 drive. Having the "resume on lid open" option disabled in Bios seemed to be causing the issue.

The real question is, how does one get in touch with Acer about them pushing a fix to Bios update?
    Hi,
    Try Acer support in your region and request for a BIOS update, I know it's not as simple as that but it's the only way to do it.
     http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/
  • JoeNZJoeNZ Posts: 1Member New User
    I had this problem too, I bought mine 3 months ago and it is annoying to see that it won't wake up when the monitor goes to sleep. Did you fix this problem? I dont have an extetnal screen but it does the same thing and the only way to get it up again is to hold the power button for 10s or so until it completely shuts off. I can see the 2 blue led lights on the side and the keyboard lit continously doesnt go off as it should. I would know as the moment i pressed a key it wont go off and i know it is in a hang state again. To get around this issue and not to have this problem but not ideal is to disable the sleep the monitor when idle to never and i dont get the issue at all. annoying so much!!! for a new laptop.
  • IHaveAnIdeadIHaveAnIdead Posts: 4Member New User
    I know this is an old thread but I just bought a new Acer Aspire E5-576 and was having issues with it not waking from sleep right out of the box. I own another Acer that is exactly the same model but it doesn't have this issue. I found a solution that works for me.  Make sure all the Windows updates are installed.  Seems simple but there is a rather large one that takes about 4-6 hours to install from start to finish.  Every time the laptop goes to sleep it crashes the install and it needs to start from scratch.  

I ended up going into my display settings and turning sleep to 'never' and screen off to 'never'.  Then I prompted Windows to check for updates.  Then let the computer do its thing.  Knock on wood it seems to have fixed the issues.  I was able to return the sleep and screen off settings back to normal options after.
  • IHaveAnIdeadIHaveAnIdead Posts: 4Member New User
    Correction - I can now sleep and wake when it is on battery power only.  But still doesn't work when the power cable is plugged in.  Temp work around is going into display settings - power & sleep - and setting screen turn off while plugged in to 'never'. After playing around it seems to be when the screen shuts off but it is still awake that it won't come back.  
  • MikfulMikful Posts: 1Member New User
    Hi everyone. I was having this frustrating problem on my Acer Aspire E14 and may have finally found a solution, which is shown in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBtSkJePt0s

Waking from sleep now seems to work for both plugged-in and battery power for me. I hope it does for you too.
  • PavelKPavelK Posts: 3Member New User
    Hi, not sure if this is still an issue, but here is my 2cents on this matter...
    I have ACER Spin, similar problem, when notebook went to the sleep mode, it was not able to wake up, the monitor was dark. After a while I figured out, that the problem was the video driver. Windows update kept pushing new version, which caused this issue. The only help was to reinstall the original driver from ACER. I have tried to install Intel UHD 620 driver directly from Intel web page, but that was rejected by the system. I assume, ACER did some modification to the driver.