V17 Nitro V791G GTX960m

norekzabojca
norekzabojca Member Posts: 5 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
Since 2 days ago I have a problem with my nvidia graphics card
At first when I switch the laptop on everything is great, but after a while playing it will kick me out and it will not let me switch any games due to GPU is not responding, and the process repeats every time i restart or turn it on i play for about 200 min and it will crash to desktop and won't let any games on.
The fans are working alright and the temp is ok too it does get to 90C but thats normal it gone up even bit higher without issues before

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    The 90C temperature you have recorded, is it on the GPU or CPU?
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• norekzabojca
    That's around the same for both but as I mentioned it was the same when I bought it. I wasn't sure if the laptop is ok then so i checked and it said it's normal for this laptop. 
  • ven98
    If only the CPU is 90C, then it can be easily fixed with undervolting, but if the GPU is hitting 90C then you should definitely contact Acer and request a repair of your unit.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• norekzabojca
    the point is i don't have a warranty for about 7 months so i don't know if it wouldn't be just better to finally get a pc 
  • ven98
    If you don't have a warranty then you can repaste the CPU and GPU with a high quality thermal paste like Thermal grizzky cryonaut, Arctic MX-4 and IC Diamond. Plus you can undervolt the CPU and your temperatures will get considerably lowef.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• norekzabojca
    i already undervolted that did not help and i'm actually waiting for paste to arrive as this is the last resort if that doesn't help it's over. i can't think if any over way to fix it, sending it for repairs is out of the question it's a waste of money if its GPU. 
  • Jhjh6980
    Jhjh6980 Member Posts: 78 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Use cooler pad i had this laptop  since 2015 
    my gpu temp average are 70 c on gpu 
  • ven98
    When the thermal paste is bad the cooler pad doesn't help a bit.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• norekzabojca
    ok i got the temperatures down but it still kicks the card out it just stopped working when the temp was 75C
  • Shumayal
    Shumayal Member Posts: 58 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Since 2 days ago I have a problem with my nvidia graphics card
    At first when I switch the laptop on everything is great, but after a while playing it will kick me out and it will not let me switch any games due to GPU is not responding, and the process repeats every time i restart or turn it on i play for about 200 min and it will crash to desktop and won't let any games on.
    The fans are working alright and the temp is ok too it does get to 90C but thats normal it gone up even bit higher without issues before
    My Graphics Card 960m runs fine but the Motherboard and CPU temps are always hot. Even when not playing games but browsing the internet with 5-6 tabs on Chrome. Is this normal?

Coolboost is enabled so fans run at high speed every now and then.
    Laptop is well ventilated and I keep it mostly in the air. Never on bed sheets. Even if I hold it on my lap, I make sure the intake and exhausts are not blocked so it is like a cantilever beam!
    I had it gone to the official service center once who fixed the crackling sound from the speaker. I also asked them to clean it (dust) and apply thermal paste which they said they did! (The temps have remained the same before and after).

I have never opened the laptop myself because it will void warranty so no SSD upgrades for me.

Here's my GAMING readout from Speccy

and Non gaming readout

Sorry, I didn't know the ideal way to display temps so I used this.
  • ven98
    edited November 2017
    I think and I am sure the motherboard temperature reading is not correct. My laptop is different, but it reaches about 75C for GPU and about 80C for CPU(when OC-ed) and my motherboard temperature doesn't go higher than 40C. Your temperatures are lower and still motherboard temperature is 95C, which is very odd and unrealistic. Something is wrong with the application or you don't have a temperature sensor for the motherboard and the application takes something else as a reading. 

The hottest components in a laptop are the CPU and GPU.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• ven98
    By the way the above post is directed at sumayal.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Shumayal
    Shumayal Member Posts: 58 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    ven98 said:
    By the way the above post is directed at sumayal.
    Thanks for the response. Can you tell me what can I do about this? Is there any other app I can use? But I think it won't make any difference because it is not an app issue?

Can you suggest me the best way to record temps when in game?
  • ven98
    Download HWiNFO.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system