How to connect (2) external monitors to an Aspire R15 (R5-571TG-7229) in extended mode (not mirror)?

reverendboblablaugh
reverendboblablaugh Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
How to connect (2) external monitors to an Aspire R15 (R5-571TG-7229) in extended screen mode (not mirror)? I don't care whether or not the laptop's screen is on or not while both external monitors are in extended mode. If it's not possible to do this directly to the laptop, is there a docking station that might accomplish this?

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Yes, you can use a switch/splitter to output to two monitors.  This works fine if the external monitors are the same size....same resolution.  You can check Amazon for HDMI switch/splitter or maybe go to Best Buy or Walmart and they will have them. 

Using a switch/splitter is an "ok" solution, but having a graphics card with multiple HDMI ports (like on a desktop computer) is a better solution.  
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • reverendboblablaugh
    Thanks for the replies.

@brummyfan2 and JordanB: Using an HDMI cable to connect the 2nd ext. monitor to the laptop USB-C port doesn't seem to display anything. I can cycle through the options as Brummy shows in the pic, and it works as expected, but only for the original monitor connect directly to the laptop's only HDMI port...the other monitor connected to the USB-C port is ignored. I should have done this initially, but if I connect the 2nd monitor via its monitor HDMI to laptop USB-C...still ignored. So maybe USB-C is not the a viable connection point for a monitor period, or the monitor is faulty, or I'm failing some preliminary setting to enable USB-C to function for display. Ok, I just connected the 2nd monitor, via monitor HDMI to laptop HDMI, and the 2nd monitor works fine. I connect the original monitor HDMI to laptop USB-C...same as before...it's ignored., So it looks like the USB-C is not a viable 2nd screen option at all as it comes setup. Looks like I'll need a docking station/splitter sorta unit as Jordan suggests.

Thanks again to you to for the time and effort to respond and help.
  • reverendboblablaugh
    Going to try this DisplayLink docking station...
    Booo. I can't yet post links, so to follow through to the product, simply search Amazon for:
    "Plugable USB 3.0 Universal Laptop Docking Station for Windows (Dual Video HDMI & DVI / VGA, Gigabit Ethernet, Audio, 6 USB Ports).

Thanks, ACER for the hurdles.
  • Thanks for the replies.

@brummyfan2 and JordanB: Using an HDMI cable to connect the 2nd ext. monitor to the laptop USB-C port doesn't seem to display anything. I can cycle through the options as Brummy shows in the pic, and it works as expected, but only for the original monitor connect directly to the laptop's only HDMI port...the other monitor connected to the USB-C port is ignored. I should have done this initially, but if I connect the 2nd monitor via its monitor HDMI to laptop USB-C...still ignored. So maybe USB-C is not the a viable connection point for a monitor period, or the monitor is faulty, or I'm failing some preliminary setting to enable USB-C to function for display. Ok, I just connected the 2nd monitor, via monitor HDMI to laptop HDMI, and the 2nd monitor works fine. I connect the original monitor HDMI to laptop USB-C...same as before...it's ignored., So it looks like the USB-C is not a viable 2nd screen option at all as it comes setup. Looks like I'll need a docking station/splitter sorta unit as Jordan suggests.

Thanks again to you to for the time and effort to respond and help.

You are welcome and Good luck with the Docking station, it looks very nice except the price =)
  • DeviantMango
    DeviantMango Member Posts: 2 New User
    I haven't tried it with a monitor coming from the HDMI AND the USB-C port, but I was just able to get a portable monitor to display out of the USB-C port by downloading the driver from here: http://www.displaylink.com/downloads/windows . I assume that if I hooked up another monitor through the HDMI it would work - seems like it's worth trying before investing $100 in a docking station.
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    What did you use to connect the USB-C port to the monitor (HDMI, DVI, or VGA) ?